“Great Hotel with Great Service and Good Locality”

Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #86 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel with Great Service and Good Locality”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel has the most friendly staff, who warmly welcome you. My experience was amazing that one of the staff went out of her way to book a Segway tour for us when we had been told it was fully booked, by the organiser.The room on 10th floor was very spacious for a family of four it felt like being comfort in our home. I would mention the cleanliness of our room to be spotless and it was cleaned everyday.The hotel has a lovely restaurant called Davanti an serve Italian dishes which are delicious.The hotel also has an in house self serving laundry room with two washing machines and dryer should you decide to make use, the cost is very nominal.The locality is very good as it is only 2 minutes walking to The Magnificent Mile.I would most certainly stay there again, as great service speaks for itself.

Room Tip: Quiet Clean Room, with good facilities
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brandi G, Senior Exec. Admin. Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is a delight to know that your time here in Chicago was enjoyable and you enjoyed the service received by our staff. We hope that when visiting the Chicago area in the future you will make us your 1st choice hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Indonesian first
Knoxville
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel with zero knowledge about Chicago. Honestly I just had Marriott points to burn. It turned out to be perfect. Great room, a bit small, but for my family of three it was fine. The best part was the ease of finding activities and restaurants. I felt very safe in this part of town and not so crowded as down around Michigan Ave.
The only downsides were a slow drain in the tub, and the beds seemed to dip toward the center. The hotel is well insulated against outside noise/traffic. I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
Brandi G, Senior Exec. Admin. Assist. at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is with great delight to learn that you enjoyed your time here in Chicago. You are correct in that we are centrally located in the downtown area. We have many options right outside our doors, from boat tours, night life and museums. It is however regretful to learn that you experienced a slow drain in the tub. We know that this can cause an inconvenience. We have updated your Marriott Rewards account for this inconvenience during your stay with us. We hope that when visiting the Chicago area again in the future you will reconsider us as your 1st choice hotel.
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Great stay!!! Very clean friendly staff loved the workout room and pool...wonderful location within walking distance to lots of attractions. When we are back in Chicago again we will certainly stay there again

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Brandi G, Exec. Admin Asssit. at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valued feedback, it is with much delight to learn that you enjoyed our fitness center and your stay with us. We hope that when in the Chicago area in the future you will make us your 1st choice Marriott Hotel.
TORONTO
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here for one night in the Taste of Chicago Weekend. Let me say that this hotel falls below par if matched against their sister hotel Fairfield Inn (60 West Illinois) across the street.

This hotel was very nice and located central to everything that's going on. Very safe security measures in place. Front desk check in and check out was good customer service. Was given a room with two double beds and it was spacious. Very nice big room lots of counter space! The washroom separation from the sink on its own and toilet and bath in another is the best layout ever! The room was bigger and not expected for USA but spacious was nice to have the room. It was quiet on the 10th floor.

The only con I would have to say was late night when I requested for bath towels the housekeeping attendant said he was on his own and it would take 10-15 minutes. Well half hour passed by I called again and no answer. Called front desk no answer. Physically went downstairs and found the front desk clerk too busy talking with security personnel he was not at his station to answer my call. I asked for bath towels and he said he would ring someone up. I said I waited for half hour and he said don't worry it'll be there in 5 minutes. Well let me say that I had fallen asleep from waiting longer like 30 mins and woken up at 5:00am in the morning
(3 hours later) to get bath towels from housekeeping. Which was too late I fell asleep without taking a late shower. So if you are expecting late night housekeeping or any help from front desk you can just forget it you are on your own. This in unacceptable for Marriott chain hotel especially when you are on the grade of 3.5 stars as compared to Fairfield Inn which was instant service did not expect it from a lower tier hotel. Due to this incident drops my rating to 3/5.

Conclusion: I would not choose to stay in this hotel again there is better choices in the surrounding area. If I had to choose a Marriott property it would be definitely the Fairfield Inn right across the street. I highly suggest you take training or whatever it is they do there to achieve high level of customer services at ALL TIMES. As I stayed at both properties back to back it was easy to compare the two Marriott properties.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the patio below
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brandi G, Senior Administrative Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, everything we do is aimed at providing excellent service. Unfortunately we did not meet your expectations or our expectations. I sincerly apologize for the level of customer service receieved from our front office associate as well as our housekeeping associate. I know how frustrating it is to request service only to wait and never receive what it is that you requested. I would like to further discuss this issue with you in hopes of again gaining your loyalty to Marriott as well as to our hotel. Again we sincerly apologize for the inconvenience.

Brandi Gant
brandi.gant@marriott.com
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2014

From my check in at 3AM (due to airline delay) to leaving 48 hours later, the staff was excellent. I was staying with them for business. My meetings were throughout the city and they gave me perfect directions to all my meeting and then the Blue line to take me back to O'Hare. I will be happy to stay with them again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
naperville
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and enjoyed a 2 day get away to downtown chicago, took the train from Naperville and walked to hotel from train station. Great location and staff front desk clerk went above and
beyond. Will definitely stay again, highly recommend for work or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brandi G, Administrative Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that when traveling to the Chicago area in the future you will make us your first choice hotel.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Hotel was a typical Courtyard and met al of our expectations. Lobby staff were nice and welcoming as were the bellmen. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Price was excellent considering how centrally located it is to Michigan Avenue and several other attractions. Would definitely stay here again. Only reason I did not give it a 5 is there was a lot of street noise (especially sirens all night long; so bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brandi G, Admin Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback via Tripadvisor, it is with great delight to know that you enjoyed your stay while in Chicago. You are correct in that we are centrally located in the River North Neighborhood. It is comforting to know that we are locaed within close proximity to the Firehouse in the event that there is an emergency. In addition it is a delight to know that you will make us your first choice hotel when visiting the Chicago area in the future.