“Seasoned Traveler With Zero Complaints”

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites
Ranked #69 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My 87 year old Mother and I stayed the night of July 1st. I live 90 minutes from Chicago but this was Mom's 1st trip to Chicago (she lives in FL). I chose this Hilton after a lot of research as I have to admit I am a "regular" at the Brand that is almost next door. But I was able to actually afford a Club Level one bedroom with LAKE VIEWS at the Hilton.
Natalie happily checked us in and advised our room would likely not be ready until 3 P.M. This was fine because I'd planned an Architectural river tour that I've enjoyed before. The Concierge, Pam, overhead me mention this and asked which boat tour I'd planned on. Upon hearing which one, she advised me, as a result of flooding rains the night before, that tour operator was not running his River tours. BUT another tour operator had much smaller boats that could fit under the river's bridges. In short, she took care of the booking process (15 or more minutes) saving me a TON of aggravation. THIS is what a Concierge is for and this is 1 of the only Concierges that has solved a real problem for me!!
Came back @ 3:00 and Natalie immediately acknowledged us & swiftly got our Key cards and 2 comp. ice cold water bottles. Nice. The tall, exceptionally cordial Bell Man retrieved our suitcase from storage where we'd left it during the Boat Ride (excellent tour) and we were on our way to the 26th floor.
Succinctly -- my favorite Hotel room out of the many I've stayed in over the past 32 years, for its [very reasonable] Price.
Now -- to be wholly fair -- Chicago rolled out her utterly magical Summer self. And "she" can be awfully reticent to do so some Summers. My Mom brings that out the best in the Nature gods ;-) So our views out of the Bed and Living Room picture windows were jaw dropping -- just like those Photos you see on the websites but almost never see in person {sigh}.
King bed and Bedding were comfortable and engulfed my tiny Mom who was thrilled with everything. The Living room was a decent size with a large work desk overlooking the Lake (& its sail boats).
The suite had a 42" flat screen TV in each room (yes, there's a door between the Bed & Living rooms). But aside from the views, my personal favorite feature was the fact that the large Bathroom had TWO [2] separate doors for individual access from the living room as well as the bedroom. Such privacy for those needing a middle-of-the-night bathroom run.
I took the Sleeper Sofa and let's face it they are always awful. I've spent half my life at acommodations all over the world (most at the comfortably moderate $ range) and never found a good sofa bed yet. So I did what I need to do in those situations (though usually it's for 1 of my now-adult kids) -- I pulled the sofa's mattress onto the floor & slept there. NOTE WELL -- this goes without saying that you've already found the Hotel room's floors very clean!! All went well.
We had access to the Club level evening "reception" with hot & cold snacks and free non-alcoholic drinks. (Alcohol was extra fee but I didn't ask what amount). Very nice light spread. The young woman server was especially sweet and friendly as well as hard-working. I am no Judge of the Club level Breakfast since I never eat breakfast. However, I love my coffee and the made-to-order Coffee machine was super (after a cheerful guest helped me figure it out).
MUCH has been said in prior reviews about this location. Since this is the location I've been staying in on my Chicago stays for the past 32 years it's clear I concur. Try to walk instead of using cabs--there is so much to look at street level. I say that and I never shop at the "fancy" retailers--just gawk at them and all of the area's sights. I did take several cabs with my Mom because of her age but they were reasonable [to my shock].
The floor on which we stayed was silent which is a huge deal for me since you can NOT count on that in a big city hotel. In fairness, this is also true of that other Brand's nearby hotel -- another plus of this particular area off Michigan Avenue.
Natalie checked us out the next day and was so solicitous of my Mother's stay that she felt like a V.I.P. Likewise, Pam asked if our river cruise worked out which it certainly did. I spent a bit more for this treat for my Mom and me -- it was so worth every penny.
Please keep up this Standard, Natalie, Pam and the Bell Man whose name I missed, because that is a large part of why I would return on my next Chicago visit! And, fellow Trip Advisors, Chicago's climate may be fickle but there is much more to her than those admittedly superb lake views.

Room Tip: East-facing high floors have lake views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ptarr
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear ptarr,

Thank you very much for staying with us, it is very special for our hotel to have been your home away from home for you and your mother who is 87 years old. It is pleasure to read the feedback that you sent about the three staff members who assisted you during your stay and contributed on making your stay a pleasant stay. Your comments are very kind and very sincere which make them very special. The feedback we receive from our guests is very important to us as it help us improve. Your feedback will be most helpful to travelers who are planning to visit Chicago and it is very rewarding for our team members who work very hard everyday to provide the service our guests expect and deserve.

Thank you for staying with us and please don't hesitate to contact us directly prior to your next visit to Chicago and we will be happy to assist you with the planning of your trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,037)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for business but it is also an excellent choice for personal travel, very close to shops and walking distance to many nice restaurants as well. Great location, great service, friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Vigen G,

Thank you so much for taking timne to share your experience with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I assure you that all of us value the feedback we receive from our guests.

Thanks for recommending our location. There is no doubt that being steps away from the Mag Mile, the American Girl, the John Hancock Tower and the restaurants on Rush Street makes it easy to enjoy our fabulous city. Thank you for taking the time to recognize the friendliness of our staff, it is our goal to provide our guests with a pleasant experience in a friendly and comfortable atmosphere.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Chicago and be your home way from home again.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was recently there on business and had booked a King Room. I've been a Hilton Honors member since the 80's and my profile calls for a king room/high floor/away from the elevator. Well, I get into town late evening, tired, and couldn't wait to get relaxed in my room. Checking in was no issue, but when I arrive to room 2515, it's a special needs room. I call the desk to change rooms and they start arguing with me to tell me I requested a special needs room. (Wrong!)
Anyway, all they did was say they didn't have and king rooms available (the hotel wasn't that booked) and placed me in a double room.
The rooms are nice and clean, as well as the bathroom. Staff seemed pleasant, the hotel's in a good downtown location, and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FBINA

Dear FBINA,

Thank you so much for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience with us. It is both valued and appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I apologize for the situation you experienced at check-in when you did not received the room type that you had requested. I am glad that you enjoyed our location next to the John Hancock Tower, your room and the pleasant service provided by our staff.

It was pleasure and a privilege to serve and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our great city

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Because when the website says “stunning views of the lake from the rooftop pool,” they neglect to tell you the pool is closed. We booked weeks ago and eagerly headed for the pool on this our first day, a Wednesday afternoon. Closed! When I asked at the Front Desk when the pool closed, I was told: “Um (long pause)… Monday.” To their credit, they inform you you can pay $20 each to walk 3 blocks to the Ritz Carlton and use their pool/spa (for which Hilton will reimburse you). Want to feel like a real second-class citizen? Try traipsing through the Ritz Carlton in search of wherever they hide their pool, when you are clearly not a guest because it’s written all over your face, not to mention your slumped body language. At least we knew enough not to wear our swimsuits over there – although if Hilton is going to keep this up, maybe we should all be issued the rather conspicuous white linen Hilton robes for the jaunt through Chicago’s streets so we might more readily be identified when we present in the toney lobby of the Ritz Carlton.

Other than that, it’s your regular Hilton – albeit at least right now one without a pool nor the inclination to publish this fact.

As for parking, here’s the deal… which you won’t hear from Hilton since they clearly like the idea of you paying $47 to self-park your car. The bad news is the garage where you take your car yourself is 3 blocks away, at 260 East Chestnut. Not a terrible walk, but a 3 block walk nevertheless. The good news is if you don’t need in/out privileges, the charge is only $32 – with one very important thing to remember: Hilton won’t offer this to you, only the garage will. That’s right, the very same garage where Hilton will have you park for $47 gives you the opportunity to park there and leave it until it’s time to go – for $15 less a day.

Another thing to note if your visit to the Hilton is impending, I mean coming up: ‘Tis the season… for High Rise Flying Spiders. You would learn this if someone at the desk told you, but alas, it’s left to a 3x5 card with the pertinent information on a corner of the desk in your room – which we found moments before checking out. Bottom line: those windows that open, perhaps a major reason you booked this Hilton along with that breathtaking view from the pool you thought you were going to use – don’t. That’s what the printed card says: “We request that you do not open your windows in your suite during this time (Spring/Summer 2014) to avoid the annual migration of High Rise Flying Spiders.”

Note to management: I called 4 days before arriving and specifically asked if the windows opened? I was told yes. I also specifically asked if they had an indoor pool and was it heated? I was told yes and yes.

Apparently, talk is cheap at the Chicago Hilton/Magnificent Mile Suites. But then, so is the self-parking – as long as you don’t ask the Hilton about it.

P.S. Update: I held off my review to see if I would hear from the hotel’s GM. It took sending him 2 emails about my experience but I just now heard back : he’s sorry about the pool. That’s it, just sorry. That makes 2 of us. He also said the pool would be open for the weekend. I strongly suggest believing that when you see it for yourself. Or at least make sure you know the path to the Ritz Carlton.

Room Tip: The windows open -- but they say don't. Now how odd is that?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MMPJMH

Dear MPPJMH,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We’re very sorry that your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual standards and we apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced. I must share with you that I am surprised that you only received my response today as I received your message on Friday at 9:29am and responded that same day at 11:17am. We take the satisfatcion of our guests very seriously and truly appreciate the feedback we received as it help us continually work to improve our guest experience. Based on the email that you had sent me, I was under the understanding that you wanted to point out that the situation with the pool as a serious inconvenience and something that should have been mentioned on the hotel website but that you were happy with the service of the hotel as you wrote that "Everything else about your hotel was quite exceptional". Clearly I missunderstood your message and for that I apologize. I will follow-up with the Valet parking company that provides the parking at the hotel to ensure that their pricing for self-parking is consistent. Again, I aplogize for the situation with the pool and I assure you that the pool was back in service over the weekend.

I will be reaching out to you by phone to follow-up and resolved the situation. I hope that we will have the opportunity and privilege to serve you again.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Really good property. Staff is well trained, they do try their best to follow-up and address you with your name...all in all ... a good job. If only the in-room Internet worked, our experience would have been wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lisa L,

Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you had a pleasant stay here in Chicago. Reading the experiences of our guests is something that we enjoy doing and yours is no exception. I am glad that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff. I apologize for the situation you experienced with your internet and I assure you our systems was upgraded to AT&T Stay Connected 18 months ago and most recently increased the bandwith to 200Mbs. We constantly assess the needs of our guests and troubleshoot rooms that experience problems, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We look forward to be your hotel of choice on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel was in a great location for a visit to the American Girl store with our 4 year old. Check in went well and was quick. Getting our car back from valet parking when we were ready to leave took over 20 minutes though. The air conditioning in our room was not really working properly so the room stayed muggy all night. Cable in the living room was out but maintenance staff fixed it promptly once we discovered the problem. Worst issue was that we paid for late check out so our daughter could nap but housekeeping wasn't aware so they came in to clean the room shortly after noon thinking we'd checked out and woke her up just after she'd fallen asleep. It was frustrating because letting her nap was the entire reason we asked for and paid for a late check out time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Andrew K,

Thank you so much for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience. It is both valued and appreciated.

It was disappointing to learn that your request for late check out was not properly managed and that in the process it did wake-up your little 4 years old girl. We have shared your comments with our team, and you can be assured that they understand how important request such as yours are for all our guests.

We hope that you will stay again with us on your next visit and I invite you to contact me directly so I may handle your reservation.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We did a fair amount of searching for places to stay downtown that gave us convenient walking access to many popular spots. This is a perfect place next to the John Hancock tower and shopping on Michigan Avenue. It was even a short walk to the Ohio Street beach. Great rooms with alot of space. The only downside is not having an option for comp breakfast (even a light one) in the morning, although they do have a restaurant on-site. They did advertise a jacuzzi at the pool (even was in photos) and there was not a jacuzzi to be found! Staff were attentive and courteous. I would definitely stay here again. And...the American Girl store is super close if you've got kiddos into this phenomenon...just come loaded with some cash.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher levels for a great view of the city or the lake!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dirtgirlphx

Dear dirtgirlphx,

Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you had a great time here in Chicago. Reading the experiences of our guests is something that we enjoy doing and yours is no exception. Thanks for recommending our location. There is no doubt that being steps away from the Mag Mile, the American Girl, the John Hancock Tower and the restaurants on Rush Street makes it easy to enjoy our fabulous city. The information about the jaccuzzi has been removed from our site for quite sometimes but unfortunately there are a few third party sites that still show picture of the jacuzzi and I am very sorry that is gave you the wrong information.

Looking forward to seeing you in the great city of Chicago again soon.