“Great surprise”

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites
Ranked #70 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Haven't stayed here since it was the Doubletree a couple years ago. It was a little shabby then, but I was very pleased with the room. Totally redone 2 room suite. Two plasma TV's microwave, small fridge. (Although I don't know why they put the microwave under the cabinet and way down low). Coffee maker with Lavazza coffee. Great workout room on the top floor with indoor pool, spa and great views. Very close to water Tower and Mag Mile.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank MrAJZ
Write a ReviewReviews (2,096)

Reviewed 6 November 2008

Stayed for 5 nights while attending a conference. The hotel is well located for the Magnificent Mile, just around the corner from the Millenium Knickerbocker, Westin and Drake hotels.

The hotel is clean, the lobby is spacious with free WiFi. The pool is up on the higher floors with a view of the Lake.

The room was good, though not amazing. The bedding and linen, though, was fantastic. The suites are spacious, and you can split the room into two, and use the sofa bed as an alternative bed i sharing with non-spouse (we were in a two doubles room). The bathroom is reasonable, with a good amount of towels. There is a small sink and coffee machine in the lounge area, which is helpful. WiFi and wired internet in the rooms costs money.

Staff were excellent, and very helpful.

Note that the Magnificent Mile is good for some things, but it's not quite the busy night bustle of downtown, so you might find that you trek down there every day. Food specifically was a concern, with mainly high-end restaurants near the hotel. It was a good walk to the nearest cheap food joint.

Overall, happy with the stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Suhaib F
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I had a terrible flight before I got to the property so I was very grouchy! When I arrived there was a very nice gentleman there to open the door for me with a big smile. I feel smile's change everything. When I got to the front desk there was a bit of a line and I was already tired so it made me a little grumpy but that is just how it goes. When I got to the desk, the young lady was very very nice she welcomed me to the property with another smile. The suite was very nice for the price. It has a flat screen tv in the living room and and a regular television in the bedroom. The beds are very comfortable. So my day was going a little better, I have had some very bad hotel stay's so I was happy so far. When I opened my suitcase I realised I had forgotten my toiletries. I called down to the front desk and they had replacements sent up with in 10 minutes. During my stay everyone was very helpful and cheerful, really living up to the hilton standard. When checking out there where a few things on my bill that where incorrect but the gentleman at the desk had no problem taking care of them for me. He asked me how my stay was and was sure to welcome me back. I am going to recommend this hotel to all of my friends visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Stayed here for 2 weeks and had a great time. Rooms are spacious, air-con kept rooms nice n'cool and beds were excellent. Great location and we found all the staff very helpful. Only minor gripe was housekeeping waking us up for something we didn't request. Note only rooms with single king are on lake side, we have 2 doubles which meant city side. We didn't have breakfast there and instead went to Tempo (UK tourist note food good but doesn't take cards so dollars go quickly), Corner bakery (Cedar and State) excellent food/value or LAppetitto (Hancock building). Given length of stay we found hotel to be excellent and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2008

This hotel has nicely renovated suites but that's where the good news ends. We are Hilton Honor members but that means nothing to the management here. If you think you can check in at the stated check-in time at 3:00, don't get your hopes up. We couldn't check in until 4:30, but had to check out on- time the next day. I asked if they would compensate us for that somehow (maybe a free drink or breakfast), I was answered with an indifferent "No, we don't do that!"
I requested extra towels but never got them. There wasn't any extra toilet paper in the room. We asked the concierge where was a good place to eat and she snapped, "Everything is booked until 10:00." She eventually got us a reservation but it was grudging. Odd job for someone with this temperament. We travel frequently and this is the first time I have been motivated to write this kind of review. Luckily, most of our travel experiences have been positive.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2008

The room is decent and reasonably comfortable. That is about all the complementary statements I can make. Expect no service, because you will get what you expect. When they say check in is at 3 pm, don't expect it a minute early. Don't store your bags with the bellman because you never know when you will see them again.
Don't ask for turn down service because that won't happen and don't ask for any special compensation because that won't happen.
If you need a room and nothing else this hotel is acceptable. Otherwise stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We booked a weekend at the Hilton Suites for a girls' weekend getaway, and had many, many issues with poor service at this location. Our rooms were given away with little explanation or apology, and we were offered sub-standard rooms only. On Saturday, we were promised a move to our originally reserved rooms by 3 p.m., which did not happen. The entire time, the front desk staff was incredibly grouchy and did not apologize or attempt to make amends. We had other issues with our bill and key cards. The hotel itself is nice, as long as you don't interact with anyone who works there! I will never stay at this hotel again, as there are a plethora of other options nearby, namely a Residence Inn across the street.

• Stayed: July 2008