“Was prepared for the worst, but was surprised”

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites
Ranked #65 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Southfield, Michigan
“Was prepared for the worst, but was surprised”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

PROS
I got a flight/hotel package from Priceline so I was pretty sure that I was going to get the smallest room in the hotel with the toliet that didn't work. Surprisingly, Our suite was very nice...(as suites go). Upon entry room was clean, organized well and stocked full of information that was helpful during our shopping excursion. The doorman/bellboys are so polite, mannerable, respectful everytime we entered or left. Very nice touch!

Our room faced Tower Place Mall..not overly pleasant but it wasn't worth it to me to switch. Shower was excellent, TV choices are ok but cable was pretty limited and movies (Karate Kid was 14.95) was expensive if you ask me. You can buy it on DVD for that. We saw Avatar on a giant screen in IMAX 3D at Navy Pier for just a little bit more.

CONS (so annoying it almost outweighed the pluses)
Paying ahead and being responsible (paying with a debit card) doesnt pay off for you at the Hilton chain. They will still charge your card an extra 200.00 to hold for incidentials. It won't be released for 3-4 business days after your departure. VERY ANNOYING guideline and simply put they should change it. With cell phones, lap tops IPhones...how many people actually use ANYTHING in a hotel room worth 200.00?? On top of that, they charged me 14.95 for the movie...which they didn't minus from the 200.00. So for two days I had a charge for 214.95 tied up on my card. Then they kept the 14.95 and released the 200.00. This certainly affected my attitude from the start and caused me to pull back what I would have spent in the city. For that reason alone the chamber should be involved. Sure I could have put it all on AE or another Visa...but a customer should not have to. I am paying YOU for convenience not the other way around.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Greek first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Though this hotel is in a very nice neighborhood (across the street from the John Hancock Building), keep in mind that it is a long way to things like Millenium Park, the museums and the theatre district. There's lots of shopping around, but the cultural attractions are a distance away. That said, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the room comfortable enough. There were a couple of things that struck us as odd, though. First of all - the toilet paper is the cheapest stuff we've ever seen. It was horrible - thin and scratchy! There were only 2 drinking glasses in our suite. Usually there are glasses in the living area as well as in the bathroom, but not here. There was no towel at the living room wet bar, so we had to use a bath towel. The sink in the living room had to be at least 4 feet tall - it was almost at my shoulders, which made using it a bit awkward. The mattress could stand to be replaced. It was very soft and any movement by one person caused the whole bed to shake, waking the other person. There's an indoor pool up at the top of the building which has beautiful views out over the lake. But it's rather stark and could use some pretty-ing up - and the windows were filthy, marring the view. I certainly wouldn't avoid this property (it was perfectly adequate), but I can think of others I'd go to before booking this one again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Good set up for our family of five (two queens in bedroom and 1 pullout couch in sitting area). For what we'd pay for a normal room, we were happy to get a suite. Nothing fancy about the hotel, but we came to see all the tourist sites, not to sit in a boring hotel room.

Right across from Hancock Tower, one block from Magnificent Mile. Any taxi ride to stuff like the museum, aquarium, pier, etc. was never much more than $10.

Only complaints:
- couldn't use the pool (freezing cold - I think the heater must've been busted)
- the pool area could use a good cleaning
- $50/night valet parking - ouch!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Stayed there on Hilton points and have minor complaints about the hotel.
Room was a two room suite with a typical layout and was very clean.
Bed was a king but seemed small for a king. It was very comfortable though.
Pool is on the top floor and was a little murky for my taste but that could of been from all the kids in the pool. The hot tub needs to be re-furbished.
Staff was nice and had no problems at the front desk.
To park for one night was $52.00, Yikes!

Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Just got back from a one night stay. This was our second time at this hotel. Stayed last year two nights for free, had a couple of Hilton vouchers. While we were there last year, some unruly kids threw something that broke a glass sconce in the pool area...much to my suprIse, one year later, the sconce was still broken...not a huge deal...just hard to believe, the hotel would not replace such a minor thing. I booked the room back in May and requested a high floor....they put us on the 5th floor....we had a lovely view of underwear, socks and a tshirt on the roof of the building next door...not the hotels fault...but, not nice to look at. I found on the bathroom floor, not one, but two ponytail holders....which leaves me to believe, things are not cleaned very well. Also when we walked in our room, the couch was out about 10 inches from the wall, because when the pullout bed is in..it was sticking out the back of the couch....it was a real pain to pull out...clearly needs to be replaced...but wasn't. Also, I changed our two night stay to a one night stay the day before... when I received my email confirmation..my $219 rate turned into a $495 rate....the woman on the phone never said a word to me about a rate change...thankfully when I called back, they corrected the rate. Needless to say...our second stay, will be our last stay. They are so many great hotels in the area, I'm certain you can do better....much better. Keep looking.

Atlanta
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Great location, but customer service VERY lacking. Upon check-in we were kept waiting for 15 min while the front desk clerk chatted with what seemed to be a friend, then very rudely checked us in. The room was dirty, with a broken lamp shade and filthy shower curtain. We tried to move the next day and were told that the hotel was full but the room would be thoroughly cleaned. We returned at 6 pm and the room was NOT cleaned at all. Front desk clerk seemed unconcerned until the manager heard the discussion and offered to upgrade to a suite. Still, too little too late, particularly for this Diamond member who stays 100 nights per year at Hiltons. Suggest you look elsewhere as other reviews also cited this type of service.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I recently had the worst consumer experience I've had in years with this hotel. Although the hotel looks beautiful, I would avoid staying here, no matter what, because what happened to us was not an aberration, but a result of hotel policy. They called us just after midnight, when we were about 10 minutes from arriving and told us the hotel was oversold and that our room was not available. Their solution was for us to come in and get our "walk slip" and then take it to another hotel in the suburbs near the airport. We were to pay full price and the other hotel was not a suite, but a room with one bed. So $250 bucks for a room comparable to what we could have booked for 75 bucks. I told them that staying in a room on Michigan Ave, in a suite with a pool and spa on the 30th floor is a bit different from a roadside motel in the suburbs. The person calling told me, "since the city is oversold, that is all we can offer." I explained that we had booked weeks in advance, that we were following each other in 2 cars in a city we didn't know well after midnight and that we had already driven over 600 miles that day and we were quite tired, so trying to find another hotel and then having some of us sleep on the floor was a real inconvenience. I asked for a second room, or to be booked in a downtown hotel and they simply repeatedly said, "Sir, I am only authorized to put you in this room."

We were moving from California to Virginia and we were very excited to stay at this hotel, because the suite allowed my college age son and his finace the pull out sofa in the living room, while our 5 year old could just sleep in the king with us. The location is great and we had lived there when oldest son was a toddler, so we were going to show them the area and to go to the Cubs game the following day at noon. So we were very bummed about not staying downtown.

I began to feel very sorry for the employee who had called us because she let slip that she had done this several nights in a row and that she was very embarrassed about this hotel's policy about over booking. She clearly understood that we were not going to be able to find another downtown hotel at this late hour. When I went on the hotel website to make a complaint to the central office, I was surprised to see that the Hilton site has a tab for complaints about overbooking of their hotels, so this is clearly an ongoing problem for this chain and in particular this hotel.
Fortunately, we usually stay at Marriott's and since we have "gold status" from business travel, they were able to find us a hotel in the suburbs with 2 rooms for 75 bucks per room. We finally got to our room at 2:20am. I stay about 75 nights a year in hotels, which is not usually fun, but if you book in a nice hotel, the service is usually great and in the 21st century, you can certainly expect a room to be held for you when you arrive if you've made a reservation with a credit card, after all if you don't show for any reason, they will certainly charge you for the night. I was really amazed that these jerks would carry out this kind of policy on an ongoing basis. I hope others refuse to patronize them and if you do stay, CHECK IN EARLY.

2 Thank ScottA21