“Nice hotel”

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites
Ranked #67 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I originally booked the Drake Hotel for the wrong date so had to cancel that reservation and find a new hotel. I am a Hilton Gold member so I looked at the Hilton Family hotels first. I found this hotel to be right next to The Drake, and on a side street right off the Magnificent Mile. I stayed for literally only 12 hours in Suite 2707 on the 27th floor. The suite had 2 Double beds, a separate living room, and a nice restroom. The suite was comparable to a Embassy Suites room but a little nicer. I had a nice view of Lake Michigan with the complementary upgrade. The room was very clean and large. Check-in was smooth and I had checked-in online and received my breakfast coupons. The next morning I ate my breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant and it was just the normal Hilton breakfast. Overall, this was a nice hotel but I would either stay at the Drake or Palmer House before this one... unless I was bringing my family.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 September 2010

My family and I stayed here during Labor Day weekend. This was a great place to stay. The staff - from the front desk to housekeeping to the maintenance man I met n the elevator - were all friendly and helpful. The Magnificent Mile was within walking distance -- lots to offer there from shopping to eating. That's what I really liked. I didn't have to use a car to get to many places. (Car just stayed in the parking garage.) The Hop On Hop Off Tour Bus had a stop at the John Hancock building (which we did use to get to Navy Pier and Sears, I mean, Willis Tower and other tourist places). John Hancock Building was just outside my window. Our room was spacious and clean. Some family members prefer a more firm bed, but I had no problem with the beds. I thought the beds were very comfortable. I will be visiting Chicago again and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2010

PROS
I got a flight/hotel package from Priceline so I was pretty sure that I was going to get the smallest room in the hotel with the toliet that didn't work. Surprisingly, Our suite was very nice...(as suites go). Upon entry room was clean, organized well and stocked full of information that was helpful during our shopping excursion. The doorman/bellboys are so polite, mannerable, respectful everytime we entered or left. Very nice touch!

Our room faced Tower Place Mall..not overly pleasant but it wasn't worth it to me to switch. Shower was excellent, TV choices are ok but cable was pretty limited and movies (Karate Kid was 14.95) was expensive if you ask me. You can buy it on DVD for that. We saw Avatar on a giant screen in IMAX 3D at Navy Pier for just a little bit more.

CONS (so annoying it almost outweighed the pluses)
Paying ahead and being responsible (paying with a debit card) doesnt pay off for you at the Hilton chain. They will still charge your card an extra 200.00 to hold for incidentials. It won't be released for 3-4 business days after your departure. VERY ANNOYING guideline and simply put they should change it. With cell phones, lap tops IPhones...how many people actually use ANYTHING in a hotel room worth 200.00?? On top of that, they charged me 14.95 for the movie...which they didn't minus from the 200.00. So for two days I had a charge for 214.95 tied up on my card. Then they kept the 14.95 and released the 200.00. This certainly affected my attitude from the start and caused me to pull back what I would have spent in the city. For that reason alone the chamber should be involved. Sure I could have put it all on AE or another Visa...but a customer should not have to. I am paying YOU for convenience not the other way around.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Though this hotel is in a very nice neighborhood (across the street from the John Hancock Building), keep in mind that it is a long way to things like Millenium Park, the museums and the theatre district. There's lots of shopping around, but the cultural attractions are a distance away. That said, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the room comfortable enough. There were a couple of things that struck us as odd, though. First of all - the toilet paper is the cheapest stuff we've ever seen. It was horrible - thin and scratchy! There were only 2 drinking glasses in our suite. Usually there are glasses in the living area as well as in the bathroom, but not here. There was no towel at the living room wet bar, so we had to use a bath towel. The sink in the living room had to be at least 4 feet tall - it was almost at my shoulders, which made using it a bit awkward. The mattress could stand to be replaced. It was very soft and any movement by one person caused the whole bed to shake, waking the other person. There's an indoor pool up at the top of the building which has beautiful views out over the lake. But it's rather stark and could use some pretty-ing up - and the windows were filthy, marring the view. I certainly wouldn't avoid this property (it was perfectly adequate), but I can think of others I'd go to before booking this one again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Good set up for our family of five (two queens in bedroom and 1 pullout couch in sitting area). For what we'd pay for a normal room, we were happy to get a suite. Nothing fancy about the hotel, but we came to see all the tourist sites, not to sit in a boring hotel room.

Right across from Hancock Tower, one block from Magnificent Mile. Any taxi ride to stuff like the museum, aquarium, pier, etc. was never much more than $10.

Only complaints:
- couldn't use the pool (freezing cold - I think the heater must've been busted)
- the pool area could use a good cleaning
- $50/night valet parking - ouch!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Stayed there on Hilton points and have minor complaints about the hotel.
Room was a two room suite with a typical layout and was very clean.
Bed was a king but seemed small for a king. It was very comfortable though.
Pool is on the top floor and was a little murky for my taste but that could of been from all the kids in the pool. The hot tub needs to be re-furbished.
Staff was nice and had no problems at the front desk.
To park for one night was $52.00, Yikes!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Just got back from a one night stay. This was our second time at this hotel. Stayed last year two nights for free, had a couple of Hilton vouchers. While we were there last year, some unruly kids threw something that broke a glass sconce in the pool area...much to my suprIse, one year later, the sconce was still broken...not a huge deal...just hard to believe, the hotel would not replace such a minor thing. I booked the room back in May and requested a high floor....they put us on the 5th floor....we had a lovely view of underwear, socks and a tshirt on the roof of the building next door...not the hotels fault...but, not nice to look at. I found on the bathroom floor, not one, but two ponytail holders....which leaves me to believe, things are not cleaned very well. Also when we walked in our room, the couch was out about 10 inches from the wall, because when the pullout bed is in..it was sticking out the back of the couch....it was a real pain to pull out...clearly needs to be replaced...but wasn't. Also, I changed our two night stay to a one night stay the day before... when I received my email confirmation..my $219 rate turned into a $495 rate....the woman on the phone never said a word to me about a rate change...thankfully when I called back, they corrected the rate. Needless to say...our second stay, will be our last stay. They are so many great hotels in the area, I'm certain you can do better....much better. Keep looking.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family