“Great value - perfect location for Magnificent Mile” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites
Ranked #65 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Madison, WI
“Great value - perfect location for Magnificent Mile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

This hotel presents great value for the rate I paid ($189 when most of the hotels looked at were unavailable or over $299 due to heavy convention use in Chicago at the end of September).

The suite floorplan was convenient for business and would also be great for a weekend leisure trip to Chicago. Included a bedroom a living room, a foyer/wet bar area, nice big bathroom and small vanity outside the bathroom. I appreciated the sink and counter area off of the living room as well as plenty of preparation space in the bathroom and between the bath and bedroom. Excellent quality beds as always with Hilton. Staff were friendly, the food in the restaurant was of high quality, and the pool/workoout room on the 30th floor with the view of Lake Michigan are quite special.

The location is great for shopping (next to Watertower Place). It was a little far away from the business district where I usually stay, so because I hoof it if the weather is nice, I would still prefer to stay closer to Wacker unless the weather prevents walking. However, I will definitely look at this hotel again in the winter when cabs are required, or if my family plans a weekend shopping trip.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Greek first
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

I originally booked the Drake Hotel for the wrong date so had to cancel that reservation and find a new hotel. I am a Hilton Gold member so I looked at the Hilton Family hotels first. I found this hotel to be right next to The Drake, and on a side street right off the Magnificent Mile. I stayed for literally only 12 hours in Suite 2707 on the 27th floor. The suite had 2 Double beds, a separate living room, and a nice restroom. The suite was comparable to a Embassy Suites room but a little nicer. I had a nice view of Lake Michigan with the complementary upgrade. The room was very clean and large. Check-in was smooth and I had checked-in online and received my breakfast coupons. The next morning I ate my breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant and it was just the normal Hilton breakfast. Overall, this was a nice hotel but I would either stay at the Drake or Palmer House before this one... unless I was bringing my family.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

My family and I stayed here during Labor Day weekend. This was a great place to stay. The staff - from the front desk to housekeeping to the maintenance man I met n the elevator - were all friendly and helpful. The Magnificent Mile was within walking distance -- lots to offer there from shopping to eating. That's what I really liked. I didn't have to use a car to get to many places. (Car just stayed in the parking garage.) The Hop On Hop Off Tour Bus had a stop at the John Hancock building (which we did use to get to Navy Pier and Sears, I mean, Willis Tower and other tourist places). John Hancock Building was just outside my window. Our room was spacious and clean. Some family members prefer a more firm bed, but I had no problem with the beds. I thought the beds were very comfortable. I will be visiting Chicago again and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Southfield, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

PROS
I got a flight/hotel package from Priceline so I was pretty sure that I was going to get the smallest room in the hotel with the toliet that didn't work. Surprisingly, Our suite was very nice...(as suites go). Upon entry room was clean, organized well and stocked full of information that was helpful during our shopping excursion. The doorman/bellboys are so polite, mannerable, respectful everytime we entered or left. Very nice touch!

Our room faced Tower Place Mall..not overly pleasant but it wasn't worth it to me to switch. Shower was excellent, TV choices are ok but cable was pretty limited and movies (Karate Kid was 14.95) was expensive if you ask me. You can buy it on DVD for that. We saw Avatar on a giant screen in IMAX 3D at Navy Pier for just a little bit more.

CONS (so annoying it almost outweighed the pluses)
Paying ahead and being responsible (paying with a debit card) doesnt pay off for you at the Hilton chain. They will still charge your card an extra 200.00 to hold for incidentials. It won't be released for 3-4 business days after your departure. VERY ANNOYING guideline and simply put they should change it. With cell phones, lap tops IPhones...how many people actually use ANYTHING in a hotel room worth 200.00?? On top of that, they charged me 14.95 for the movie...which they didn't minus from the 200.00. So for two days I had a charge for 214.95 tied up on my card. Then they kept the 14.95 and released the 200.00. This certainly affected my attitude from the start and caused me to pull back what I would have spent in the city. For that reason alone the chamber should be involved. Sure I could have put it all on AE or another Visa...but a customer should not have to. I am paying YOU for convenience not the other way around.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

Though this hotel is in a very nice neighborhood (across the street from the John Hancock Building), keep in mind that it is a long way to things like Millenium Park, the museums and the theatre district. There's lots of shopping around, but the cultural attractions are a distance away. That said, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the room comfortable enough. There were a couple of things that struck us as odd, though. First of all - the toilet paper is the cheapest stuff we've ever seen. It was horrible - thin and scratchy! There were only 2 drinking glasses in our suite. Usually there are glasses in the living area as well as in the bathroom, but not here. There was no towel at the living room wet bar, so we had to use a bath towel. The sink in the living room had to be at least 4 feet tall - it was almost at my shoulders, which made using it a bit awkward. The mattress could stand to be replaced. It was very soft and any movement by one person caused the whole bed to shake, waking the other person. There's an indoor pool up at the top of the building which has beautiful views out over the lake. But it's rather stark and could use some pretty-ing up - and the windows were filthy, marring the view. I certainly wouldn't avoid this property (it was perfectly adequate), but I can think of others I'd go to before booking this one again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

Good set up for our family of five (two queens in bedroom and 1 pullout couch in sitting area). For what we'd pay for a normal room, we were happy to get a suite. Nothing fancy about the hotel, but we came to see all the tourist sites, not to sit in a boring hotel room.

Right across from Hancock Tower, one block from Magnificent Mile. Any taxi ride to stuff like the museum, aquarium, pier, etc. was never much more than $10.

Only complaints:
- couldn't use the pool (freezing cold - I think the heater must've been busted)
- the pool area could use a good cleaning
- $50/night valet parking - ouch!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Crown Point, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

Stayed there on Hilton points and have minor complaints about the hotel.
Room was a two room suite with a typical layout and was very clean.
Bed was a king but seemed small for a king. It was very comfortable though.
Pool is on the top floor and was a little murky for my taste but that could of been from all the kids in the pool. The hot tub needs to be re-furbished.
Staff was nice and had no problems at the front desk.
To park for one night was $52.00, Yikes!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family