“Good Hotel, Awful Service”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #108 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
“Good Hotel, Awful Service”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Nice, clean hotel in a decent location. Terrible staff with very stand-offish personalities - specifically the check-in and reception staff. Usually, I have very pleasant stays at doubletrees...this one was completely off the mark.

1 Thank 235amiry
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear 235amiry,
The service you described in your review is not our standard, and can assure you this is something that we rarely ever hear on this travel forum. Please be assured of our best efforts to regain your confidence in us, so that we may have an opportunity to redeem ourselves and sincerely display our customer service standards.
-The DoubleTree Mag Mile Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tracy, California
Reviewed 24 March 2014

location was great and the room was spacious. Only one complaint. It rained while I was there and I was literally two blocks away from my meeting room, so I didn't want to take a cab. I would have expected a higher end hotel to have umbrellas at the desk, but they didn't. I had to buy a $15 umbrella I could have bought for about 5 at Walmart, at the gift shop. Just an added amenity that would have been nice. The difference between a good and excellent rating in my mind, all based on service

Dear RickD0216,
Thank you for sharing your concern with us. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as this is something our team should take into consideration moving forward. Our team strives for service excellence, and having umbrellas available for guests to borrow would be a great extension of our hospitality efforts. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
-The DoubleTree Mag Mile Team
Lake Villa, Illinois
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Nice hotel, good location, and pretty quiet. The price was good for Chicago and we would stay again. I liked the check out procedure, not having to do anything on leaving. One strange thing that I don't understand is that when we used a debit card a $50 extra charge was made. When I called about it showing up on our bank statement, they said it was their practice and that it would be refunded in about 5 days.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

United States
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Close to the Chicago river and in the heart of Downtown. Great staff and facilities. CJ at the front desk was awesome! Easy to get a taxi to get around town. The bartender at night was very courteous.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Mark W,
Thank you for staying with us over St. Patrick's Day weekend! We are proud to read that CJ and our bartender at the hotel exceeded expectations. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon!
-The DoubleTree Chicago Mag Mile Team
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Great location, excellent price, really nice locally sourced restaurant with a great brunch. Extremely friendly staff, great bartenders. Everyone was very nice as to be expected from a HIlton. Love the free infused waters and cookies! :)

Room Tip: Higher floors for a nice view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Mount Vernon, Texas
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was in Chicago working for business for a week and generally prefer Hilton properties. I selected the Doubletree based on price and location.

Overall the property is in decent shape. When I told the check in person I was staying for the week, he put me on the top (26th) floor and gave me the internet code free. The room and bathroom were again in good shape, nothing spectral but well maintained given the age of the property. I chose to skip the daily maid service to get $8.00 per day credit towards food, etc.

I had room service twice and both times it was on time and very good. Einstein Bagels is attached to the lobby and provided a convenient, faster and cheaper breakfast that the main hotel restaurant. The workout room off the lobby was very large and had all the cardio, free weights and machines I wanted. Only thing missing was a bottle of sanitizing spray. Overall, the hotel was a good option and just a few short blocks off Michigan Ave and the heart of Chicago.

Milwaukee
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I had the worst experience with my check in they didn't want to help me at all . As soon as I came in she took my passport and took it to the back no nothing I felt as if I did something wrong . Took about 25 minutes to call the job for verification of employment and she denied me my room until my grandma called her job to tell them she works there which is backwards I could have pleasantly walked to the restroom played the roll and call
But I didn't if it was just that simple the Supervisor was talking to me as if I was illiterate or wasn't understanding her. With me currently being employed at Hilton I knew they didn't go thru proper procedure to accommodate me . When after 45 minutes passed someone confirmed for us and then we got keys I politely ask for each persons name email address and number one employee which was the supervisor or manager she complied but Selva failed to so. Now all while we've been waiting I see that all guests were giving an WARM COOKIE they all
Commented while leaving desk how warm these cookies were not room 1410 ours were not hot at all I chose not to make an big deal considering I'm already being treated poorly like I'm a criminal like i caused harm but I knew I was livid . I promise service was terrible .

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Triggs0206
Dear Triggs0206,
It disappoints us to read about your unpleasant experience at our hotel. Please be assured that we never judge anyone that checks in, and always have the best intentions in mind for each and every person that walks through our door. Many guests consider us their "home away from home", and tell us that one of the main reasons they return is our staff. We are sorry that you did not experience the exemplary level of services that we usually provide. Our hotel manager would like to learn more details of your recent experience, and encourages you to contact her at: 312-224-2137 or via email: bradin@doubletreemagmile.com.
-The DoubleTree Chicago Mag Mile Team