“Wow!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: Southwest Side
Neighbourhood: Southwest Side
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We had the opportunity to try Carbon's live fire-grilled food last night in Chicago. Had one of the burritos--huge & delicious! And loved the corn dish (elote)! All very fresh & made to order; Definitely worth the wait! It has a very small indoor dining area, but it was a beautiful night out & they have a lot of outdoor seating, some even under a large canopy, which we enjoyed! Inexpensive as well as Delicious!

Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

We had steak tacos, talipot tacos, rice, beans, chip , salsa and a steak burrito.
It was very yummy. We called ahead and took- away - it turned out great. It was easy to find and easy to park. There ere a few tables outside and 4-5 small tables inside. It didn't look that clean and not much room so I was glad we were just picking it up to go.
I really liked the salsa and the steak was tasty but overall it would not stack up against the Aurora restaurants.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Enjoyed steak tacos and tamales , was a great Mexican fix!!!

Reviewed 23 June 2012

I dream of this place since I've left Chicago. After living in Chicago for several years, I discovered that finding good Mexican food in this part of the country was tough. Carbon (pr: car-BONE) has the best tacos and burritos of any place I've ever been. It sounds simple; the menu has soft tacos, giant burritos, and burrito bowls (a crispy tortilla bowl with the innards of a taco in it). But this place has it down.

You can watch them cook the steak/chicken/fish on the grill behind the counter, and your mouth will start watering. There's nothing better than the steak tacos, which come with cilantro, onions, and salsa. The chips are homemade, and are a mix of regular small crispy chips and larger slightly-less-cripsy tortilla quarters. The salsas are mild/medium/hot, and vary by day, probably because they eyeball the ingredients as they add them that day. On some days, the hot will knock your socks off. The salsa verde is medium, and has robust flavor.

There are other things on the menu like elote (actually esquites) and a few desserts, and a few glass-bottled Mexican soft drinks (besides the standard soft drinks). There is a little seating, but if you take this to go, it will be perfectly bagged and nice and hot for you by the time you get to your destination. The staff is super-friendly and the prices can't be beat. I can't wait to go there again next time I'm in Chicago!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I tried the chicken and fish tacos. The fish was a little tough, but the flavor was pretty good. The chicken tacos were fantastic with tons of flavor and the chicken was not dry. I think I had the fire roasted sauce. It was spicer than I expected, but it was a good compliment to both the chicken and fish tacos. Good cheap place to eat in Chicago.