“Golf”

Glen of the Downs Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Delgany
More attraction details
Owner description: Golf may be the star attraction at Glen of the Downs Golf Club in Co. Wicklow. However, the stunning setting and elegant clubhouse broadens its appeal to host private functions and weddings. With a desirable champagne reception, fine dining restaurant, and lively bar all set against the spectacular backdrop of the Wicklow Mountains, Glen of the Downs Golf Club Co.Wicklow ticks all the boxes for a special occasion. Imagine playing golf in the most idyllic countryside location. The Glen of the Downs Parkland course was designed by Peter McEvoy. Retaining the character of the surrounding nature while sculpting exciting features, the result is a course that is suitable to all golfing conditions. Exceeding the expectations of the most discriminating golfer, the 18-hole, 6,443 yard course is challenging, yet offers enjoyment to players of every level. It is also pleasant to the eye as Peter's trademark design is etched throughout the course, and built to USGA specifications with sand based greens and tees.
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Good course, great views, tasty food and excellent service all make for a very enjoyable golfing experience.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Eoin F

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is one of my best courses it has everything from tricky holes to a breathtaking backdrop it has the lot and the staff are the best around very very helpful and accommodating .
Top marks alround

Hope to see you soon

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank nikibiki
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My initial contact with the club was through the pro-shop when making the booking, the gentleman there, Johnny was so helpful and a real pleasure to deal with. Upon our arrival, he was once again the first person to meet and could not have been more courteous, he also gave some great advice on the course. The course is quite hilly and we took a buggy. The greens were fast and in immaculate condition. My only words of advice to fellow golfers, the 18th green is like lightening and a ball will hit the front of it to run through to the water - so beware.
The changing facilities are good and we had a very nice steak in the bar before leaving.The real assets of this club are the many wonderful staff and in particular Johnny who make you feel welcome and valued as a customer. Old fashion service with a smile!

2  Thank Pauline A
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I played Glen of the Downs this weekend and as always I really enjoyed the front 9. The front 9 layout is excellent. You have to be well placed on the fairways for second shots and the greens had really good pace about them. The one issue I have always had with this course is I find the back 9 unrewarding. I just get the feeling that it was a little rushed as opposed to the front. I have always liked the double green on 8 & 10 but feel that 11, 12, 17 are not that challenging and would have had the layout a little different.

The facilities at the club house are very good and the bar is excellent to have a bit of food to recap the round.

2  Thank HenryL985
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Took advantage of an internet deal to try out this course, which had been on our "wish list" for some time.

We are mid range handicappers (9 & 16) and I have to say that we enjoyed it immensely. We were lucky to meet up with two members on about the 5th hole, so we joined up as a four-ball. This worked out great, as they were able to advise us on the vagaries of the course and our scores would have been a lot higher without their advice.

As for the course, it was in great condition, helped by it being a sunny day on which we could enjoy splendid views of the Irish Sea and Wicklow Mountains.

Lots of wildlife about - we saw buzzards and a couple of wild deer on the course. The clubhouse , bar, restaurant and changing facilities were of a high standard. After golf we enjoyed a light meal on the lakeside deck that also overlooks the 18th hole (on which I had a par, thanks to advice from our new-found member friends).

Definitely worth a visit - would have no problem returning or recommending it to others.

2  Thank Suburban_Couple