“Paper thin walls & floors!”

Hampton Inn Collinsville
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Collinsville
“Paper thin walls & floors!”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We always stay at Hampton Inn's because we know we can expect comfort, but this place was of such poor/uninsulated construction that our stay was horrible. The person in the room above us moved around like a gorilla & didn't seem to Stop. When he dropped the lid down on the toilet, we jumped - it was LOUD. Then other people checked into their rooms down the hall from us late at night & never lowered their voices & made literally 10 trips bac k & forth to eachother's rooms - letting the doors slam shut each time. Finally in the morning, our tub had no support under it - I thought my husband was going to fall through & i sure felt sorry for whoever was below us. Staff was wonderful & moved us to a quieter room ( storage space above)

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Hemigirl1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
illinois
Reviewed 3 November 2011

our experience at this hotel was wonderful! we stayed on a friday night & the place was sold out. we didn't experience a big crowd though. so everyone else must've been out enjoying activities away from the hotel. the pool & hot tub area was nice & clean. swimming pool was a little too cool for our liking though. the front desk provided fresh baked cookies, hot drinks & cold milk for an evening snack. this was a nice surprise! the breakfast area was roomy with a large variety of delicious foods. they had everything from waffles, eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereals, etc. one of the best breakfasts we've ever been offered at a hotel. our room was okay. it was really nothing to brag about though. it had kind of a funny smell to it. not sure but maybe it had been a smoking room in the past. all the hotel staff were pleasant & welcoming. we will definitly be staying there again when we are in the area!

Room Tip: we were on the ground floor on a sold out night. didn't notice any bothersome noises.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank hlfam
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at this Hampton Inn. It's a perfect place to stay for a weekend visit to St. Louis, especially if you're traveling with small children. I took my grandson to the St. Louis Zoo and Science Center this weekend. It took about 20 minutes to get to the hotel from the Zoo. Once we arrived, my grandson changed into his swimming suit and spent a few hours playing in the well maintained indoor pool. I swam for a while and then relaxed in the hot tub. There are several restaurants within walking distance, and a Bandanda's Barbeque is next door (their food is always delicious). There are several restaurants that deliver to the hotel, including a steak house. The breakfast buffet was well-stocked and delicious.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Champaign
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Hampton Inn Collinsville is another example of why Hampton Inns are my first choice when I travel. Check-in was speedy, the room was spotless, the bed wonderfully comfortable, and the free breakfast is the best out there. Our king room was actually a two-room suite with an extra-large bathroom - for only $80 including tax! That is an exceptional value. I was extra-surprised at the price, as this was World Series weekend in St. Louis. i have stayed at this Hampton several times, and they have maintained their high standards every time.

The Hampton Inn Collinsville is an excellent choice if you are looking for a St. Louis weekend. It is a quick 10-minute drive to the city and all the great things St. Louis has to offer. Parking is free, the rates are often cheaper than the city, and there are several restaurnats close by. You can't lose if you choose the Hampton Inn Collinsville.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Very clean, spacious rooms with microwave and fridge. Complimentary breakfasts as with all Hamptons. Good front desk staff when we checked in. I had made a reservations moments before from the parking lot on a mobile phone using the internet and Hilton Honors points. They had it and processed it quickly for us. Nothing but a positive experience all around.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I travel extensively and I nearly always stay in Hilton properties, specifically Hampton Inns. The Collinsville location makes the grade as a Hampton Inn, but just barely.

Breakfast was of solid Hampton Inn quality, with hot egg-based entrees and meats every morning, as well as a selection of pastries, cereal, fruit and other items. We enjoyed breakfast each morning of our stay. Though it was often very busy, the staff worked hard to keep items stocked.

The pool was clean and in good repair, as was the hot tub. Towels were available near the pool as were lounge chairs.

Even though I recalled seeing that this was a non-smoking hotel, our room smelled of smoke the entire time we visited. Showering or turning on the air conditioner seemed to release the smell -- perhaps this was a smoking room in the past.

Housekeeping service was not very impressive. We lifted our ice bucket on the first day to find a soggy, half-used bar of soap stuck to the bottom. The lower shelf below the bathroom sink was thick with dust except for one spot which had been hastily wiped. During three days of our four-night stay, the same dead spider sat on the floor next to our toilet. At one point, I decided to leave it there as a guage of whether housekeeping was actually cleaning the bathroom. After a generous tip on the first morning, I declined to tip housekeeping again.

A big plus is that the hotel is right in the center of an area with lots of restaurants and amenities, as well as just 20 minutes to St. Louis. Walmart is also nearby for any traveler's needs and you can walk to several sit-down and takeout establishments.

Room Tip: Room 109 is convenient to the front desk, but noisy from all of the foot traffic in the area.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank taragl
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I just checked in and I am APPALLED. I am on a business trip and have stayed in a different Hampton Inn for the past three nights. While this Hampton Inn is definitely not the worst I've been in, IT IS ONE OF THEM.

It must have been hot here today. My wall unit air conditioner (NO GOOD HAMPTON INN HAS THEM) cannot cool off the room. I have a feeling it is a "swamp cooler" because the humidity in here must be 110%.

The decor is atrocious. Kind of a hodge-podge (or deco-padge? lol) of 70s 80s and 90s. Lime green curtains, royal blue chair, scupltured carpet that feels weird on your feet, one blue wall, the other brown, etc. There is no fridge or microwave. And even the ice bucket is from 1993.

Positives: yes, it is clean. And that is very important or I would not be here now. The TV works better than the Lodgenet satellite service I had to put with last night. The only employee at the hotel, at 7pm, at the front desk, it 100% perfect - friendly, quick and helpful.

Perhaps this is just a St. Louis thing - I've heard "this is the best (hotel) I've ever stayed in" in the past and it just LAUGHABLE.

On the other hand, right now I feel like the other reviews you will read here are not up to Tripadvisor's standards. All new Hamptons have free weights, btw, and who cares what the pool temperature is when your room has a Heat Index of 85?

From what I read on other Hampton Inns around St Louis, DONT pick this one from all the positive reviews.

Room Tip: There are probably 10 hotels around this big tourist stop - show up and shop them at the last minute...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business