“A LITTLE BEHIND THE TIMES”
Review of Nick's Pizza & Pub

Nick's Pizza & Pub
Ranked #6 of 133 Restaurants in Crystal Lake
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

As many of you might know Nick has 2 locations, Crystal Lake and South Elgin. I frequent the Elgin location more often than Crystal Lake. The beer selection is OK if we were back in the 80s but not for the 21st century. When Elgin opened it was a Gold Mine, now it seems to be a Ghost Town since the Big Dog "PORTILLO" showed up across the street. Nick refuses to change with the times and I think that hurt the business. The food items are very good and we enjoy the peanuts. I do not think its a good idea to let bartenders tend bar and wait tables at the same time, it effects service for both bar customers and seated customers. About a year and a half ago or so, Nick put out a plea to his customers to come in and spend money or he might have to close the Elgin location, blamed the loss of business on the opening of Walmart across the street. Customers stepped up to the plate and helped him out, kind of a CHEESEY move but it worked for him. Now Nick has Portillo to worry about, let's see if he can pull another rabbit out of his hat.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stopped by Nick's unexpectedly one Tuesday evening with a friend. We ordered a beef sandwich, onion rings and a flat-crust pizza. The wait for the beef sandwich and rings was quite lengthy, for some reason. The place wasn't buzzing either. ? The beef was edible, but not great -- like the beef you might have gotten from Carm's or Paul's in Westchester. The onion rings were good -- fried to extra-crispy. But the ranch dressing they provided to dip them into left a lot to be desired. Maybe I was expecting something with more flavor -- like buffalo or blue cheese. The flat crust pizza arrived with onions, sausage, cheese and mushrooms and was exceptionally good. Prolly the best flat-crust I've ever had. The tomato sauce was flavorful, but not acidic or too generously applied. The crust was crisp and thin, yet had a flaky, buttery disposition. The cheese was about the same quality as other pizza places, applied sufficiently across the platter, as were the other items.

Overall, I'd come back for the pizza. But I wouldn't make a special trip (ie: drive more than 20 miles) for it. Prices are reasonable, although I think they're a little expensive for the location.

Ambience is nice. Floor and table tops are littered with peanut debris. If you have kids with peanut allergies like I do, you DO NOT want to go here.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Great pizza from someone who lives on Maui. We need you on Maui! Great pick up staff and really runs like a well oiled machine back there.
Mahalo,
Maureen

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I love to take the kids to Nick's. They have a ball with the peanuts (throwing them mostly) and the games. Never a complaint about the food. In fact I can't remember ever taking a togo bag home from dinner. Full Bar and several TV's for the sports fans. For me, the the best thin crust pizza, try the sausage. Not the cheapest pizza in town, but the service and food quality more than make up for it. Oh, and I love the rustic ambiance...

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Whenever I come to visit my family, this is the first place we go. Pizza is awesome, the people that work there are friendly and accommodating, and all the trophies are sure to keep the PETA freaks away from you. If you cannot get downtown to make it to Gino's East, this should be your second choice.