1776 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1776 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 133 Restaurants in Crystal Lake
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2013

A great experience for a night out with a fantastic menu and a superb wine list. Andy and Terry are there most nights to personally greet you and supply you with the Midwest hospitality that characterizes their wonderful place. Enjoy the crab cakes, wild meat selections and save room for the Key Lime Pie!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I've lived in McHenry County almost my entire life & have passed this restaurant a million times without stopping in. I cannot believe what I've been missing.
Its a fairly small, white table cloth, intimate setting. The decor is 'colonial' to match the restaurant's moniker. The menu features creatively prepared and nicely presented game fare, paired with an extensive win list. My understanding is that many of the ingredients are locally sourced or come from sustainable sources.
The service was excellent from the get go and the server had no problem pairing glasses of wine with our dinner selections.
This is a place that foodies will enjoy - but not to sound pretentious - the average McHenry County resident may pass it up due to the cost of the some of the dishes. My wife and I enjoyed one appetizer each, a glass of wine, and our entree - our bill was around $100 before tip. So please don't expect Chili's or even Jameson's prices for that matter - you are getting high quality food created by a chef that clearly cares about what is served to his guests. Truly rare in McHenry county. You pay a fair price for quality - and I've paid a lot more for a lot less.

My understanding is that the menu changes seasonally and depending on what ingredients become available. Our meal consisted of a duck and pheasant sausage gumbo that was tasty with a hint of spice, a house salad, and entrees. My wife had filet, I had a trio of elk, antelope, and bison in a red wine reduction. It was sweet and flavorful - not a hint of gaminess. It was prepared and presented with mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables.
Our meal was paced nicely and not rushed nor belabored. The server was helpful and attentive.

This is the kind of place you might bring your wife for a quiet dinner, or family with older kids. I'm certainly going to treat out of town clients for dinner here, just for the uniqueness of the menu alone, but also because of the other factors I've stated here.

2  Thank ajreina
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Do not waste your time. Went last night and spent $75 on one appetizer, two soups, one entrée, and two kids meals, an iced tea, and an orange juice.

The appetizer was okay but nothing to write home about. The wild mushroom soup was so pureed that it could have come out of a can. Maryland crab cakes were entirely average, I would expect something similar at a Fridays or Chilis if they carried them.

The restaurant was nice but the first hint that we should have taken and walked out was the fact that we were the only customers under the age of 50.

Save yourself disappointment and go elsewhere.

5  Thank Tim H
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We had not been to 1776 Restaurant for about a year but were pleasantly surprised when we visited there in March. The Prime Rib (Saturdays only I believe) is just about as big as you can find! And all meat is locally bought. Service was great and our martinis were perfect. Highly recommend this locally owned restaurant,

Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I have dined at 1776 several times over the years. The menu is always full of unique entrees including wild game and seafood which were always delightful and prepared to perfection. Lately we have noticed that the quality of the food as well as the service has gone downhill. Our most recent visit will sadly be our last due to the low quality of the entire dining experience. I have sampled many items off the menu and always looked forward to the venison and elk dishes. This past visit I tried the pork chops and my wife had the corned beef (it was St. Patty's day) and although the pork chops were quite large I was disappointed with the lack of flavor and lackluster presentation. The corned beef was also sub-par as it was completely dried out. Upon mentioning this to our waitress the response was simply that she had heard that several times throughout the evening, as if she could care less (more about the service later). In a restaurant such as this I have come to expect a certain level of culinary presentation befitting of such unique dishes, however this facet is missing from the equation.
I know the same chef has been with 1776 for many years so I'm not quite sure what the cause of the decline in quality stems from, perhaps he was just having a bad night?? Regardless of the cause it was unacceptable for a meal in this price range. Not to say the meals are expensive because they are reasonably priced, however I can dine at other comparable restaurants and have a superior experience. And then there was the service. Well, to say it was disappointing would be an understatement! She was perhaps the worst waitress I have ever had. Not once did she ask if we would like another drink (we were there for almost two hours) and when we informed her of the issues with our meal she appeared to avoid our table for the rest of the evening. That being said she did remove the dried out corned beef from our bill (which was incorrect not once but twice!) which earned her the crappy tip she deserved.
If you are feeling adventurous you may choose to roll the dice and try 1776 for yourself, you may have a better experience than we did. For us, this was our last visit.

5  Thank Big_d_mob