“I AM HUMBLED IN AWE”

Vermilion County War Museum
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Danville
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Danville, Illinois is the home to THE VERMILION COUNTY WAR MUSEUM. There are two floors with more than 5,000 exhibits ranging from the Revolutionary War to Iraqi Freedom. There are 4,000 books, hundreds of uniforms from all branches of the military and all wars. Our guide proudly informed, entertained, intrigued as he ushered his audience through various exhibits. I occasionally would wander on my own and listen to the spirit of America, there, pulsating with peaceful strength. I was gripped by the hush of breath of heroes and martyrs. As I fingered uniforms, I gently nudged the essence of our Freedom. I was humbled by the magnitude of loss. I stood in a shrine of men and women who gave me the ability/freedom to sit and type my selfish thoughts, to select a fantastic restaurant for dinner, to pop into any establishment in the country and chat with free merchants or volunteers, buy a new phone with no censor, watch "I Love Lucy" or eat pizza all night long, if I so desire. The men and women, who unselfishly perished in Military campaigns extended the freedom to learn and work to immigrants, such as my Italian Grandparents. Soldiers, Prisoners of War, those Missing In Action, Veterans and casualties all strengthened the Statue of Liberty's arms to embrace those seeking life and liberty.

Thank you, Mr. Johnson for our extreme knowledge, participation and enthusiasm. I believe that you are the backbone of The Vermilion County War Museum Society.

I will share the words (more lengthy piece given to me to share) of Harry Johnson, a World War II Veteran and Curator/Guide of the Museum. Mr. Johnson wrote: "NO Glory" The Museum is not here to glorify or perpetuate war...Please honor the aura and wonderment of the Museum as you view the exhibits, realizing that you have seen a lot of history!"

Danville, Illinois is historic, friendly. My impression is that there are no strangers and that there are friendly faces willing to share bits of themselves with a visitor. A visitor will most certainly appreciate the hospitality, sincerity and generosity of the spirit of the Museum and Danville.

6  Thank LauraMacy

Reviewed 1 April 2013

we went in to see about giving them my father-in-law's old "dress greens" but they said no thanks!!! " We have plenty, lol." They sure did. Along with alot of other Very COOL stuff. The older guys in there were so nice, and let us walk around, didn't bother us but waited until we asked questions. I love museums like this, where we can go and learn about our history from the people who were there, LIVING HISTORY!!!!

5  Thank Don Mis T
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I had an uncle that grew up in Danville many years ago, he fought in WWII, he lived and returned to Danville, later he my aunt moved to Florida as all people in their generation do. The War museum is located in the old city library that was built by Carnegie. The museum houses many pictures and artifacts and has the best group of volunteers, they seem to know everything, please take the time to stop in and talk with them, they will keep you so interested.

5  Thank MsKSmith
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This was the best experience I ever could have hoped for with my friends and family. I took friends from out of state and my family of four for a tour that felt like a personal look into every exhibit on the tour. I would recommend this to anyone even close to Danville. THANK YOU to the people that run and support this museum.

6  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Tons of artifacts on display representing every war that the US has had involvement. The volunteers are very eager to share their knowledge. Donations accepted, but not required - they only ask for $2 per adult. Good way to spend a couple of hours.

5  Thank wickedthirteen