“Not the best”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in DeKalb
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Not the best”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

For the price it was ok. Not my best hotel experience. But it was bargain. Not enough towels even though I requested them and noted number staying in room. Free breakfast was slim pickings of stale donuts. Room door was stuck/frozen very hard to open.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Kertina:

Thank you for your review,as always I have shared your review with staff. In our correspondence over the weekend, I apologize for any issues experienced on your stay. I already have your future reservation in place and I have upgraded you to one of our luxury suites. I am very confident when you return again in a couple months you will be pleased with some of the changes I have made to make your stay pleasurable see you soon. If I can do anything else to assist you and your family don't hesitate to call. 815-758-8661

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Best Western chain runs hot and very cold--sometimes I am surprised how nice a property is and sometimes I am surprised how bad a property is. The DeKalb, Illinois location is surprisingly bad. With a large sign advertising the property is a "Inn and Suites" you don't expect to actually find the property is an old motel with rooms that open to the parking lot which most travelers try to avoid. I knew this was going to be a disappointing experience when the foyer leading to the lobby was flooded with an inch or two of water and there was no attempt being made to either suck it up or at least put something down so guests don't have to walk through it.

The biggest complaint is the noise. Not only will the seemingly endless parade of high speed fright trains wake you up, but the old through-the-wall combo heater/AC unit had a bad bearing in it the would sequel loudly on and off during the night.

The room is old, but there did appear to be newer carpeting on the floor. The wall above the desk had two big screws pointing to where the large wall art used to hang. Likewise, the mini-fridge and microwave were also missing from the room. Little amenities like lotion and conditioner are also missing. Housekeeping would make the bed using the same sheets and just tossed the pillows at the top of the bed with no effort to arrange them as on the first day. Carpet was not vacuumed during my stay. The flat screen TV had three channels with no sound and very limited program selections.

My recommendation would be to look at the Holiday Inn Express in nearby Sycamore.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far as possible from the train tracks.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
First of all let me thank you for your review. I would be able to address your issues and share them with my staff if I knew what room you were in, what dates you were here, or your name.
I would be happy if on your next visit to Dekalb you would choose Best Western Dekalb Inn & Suites and I will personally make sure you are upgraded to one of our luxury suites.Our suites include living room, kitchenette, and seperate bedroom. You are correct not all rooms have refrigeraters and microwaves. We do upgrades providing our Suites are available.

Travellers are raving about these DeKalb hotels

Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I was making my yearly rounds up north visiting family members, friends, and clients for the holidays, and I had just picked up my 6 year old granddaughter in Iowa and was fixin to get to her Aunty's house in Indiana the same day. Little did I know a snowstorm would hit northern Illinois the same day, and as one might guess, driving on highway I-88 that day was akin to moving slower than molasses trudging uphill in the winter. My grandbaby was a bit scared, so reluctantly I veered off the highway when I came to the access road to Dekalb.

Now, I've stayed in a lot of best western motels before, but this one was definitely one of the easiest to find! Just north of 88, and really close to a bunch of restaurants. I wish there were more kid friendly places near by, but I'm not going to complain too much, as the staff informed me I was in a college town. I asked where a good place to eat was and they sent me to Fatty's Bar. If you're going to stay in Dekalb, I recommend going to Fatty's Bar just west of the hotel. Their Cajun tater salad was fantastic!

When we got back to the room later, It was very clean with a nice TV inside, but I had some concerns as It didn't have a fridge to store my insulin. I talked with the afternoon girl working the lobby, a lovely young lady by the name of Melanie, and she informed me that only their suites had a refrigerator unit, but that they had a walk-in staff fridge I could use to store my perishables and medicine. Bless her heart, because I was starting to worry, but this was only a minor inconvenience, and I found her to be very accommodating.

I came in later that night to grab my insulin, which was being diligently monitored by staff member Chris, and I had a nice conversation with the young man and asked If he could have breakfast setup early as we wanted to hit the road early. He said it wouldn't be a problem, and it was not. Their breakfast was setup at 6:00 and I was ready to leave by 7. The breakfast was great overall, but my granddaughter wished their were be more doughnuts. The morning manager Scott overheard her complaint, and I guess thought it was cute, so he brought her more doughnuts, about 4-5 kinds! She was ecstatic, and now I have a great memory to cherish with my granddaughter!

Overall I though my stay at this hotel was very pleasant, and the staff was very friendly. They made me feel at home, and they helped me in a time of need. They were also very entertaining and fun to joke with. I would highly recommend this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Mr Abraham:

Let me start by thanking you for such kind words. I shared your review with my staff. They had the same words for you. Chris and Melanie remembered you and said you were great, and a pleasure to talk to. Scott said your Granddaughter was a doll. It's always refreshing to know that our staff is not only doing their job, but having fun doing it. Thank you again. Next time you and your family are driving through Dekalb stop in we'll make sure you are upgraded to a luxury suite and plenty of assorted donuts.
Dekalb, United States
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The hotel sits on top of the railroad tracks with a train going by hourly. Woke up several times to what we thought was a tornado or random bomb. Outside walkway was crumbling under foot and part of the popcorn ceiling in the room looked ready to cave in. Heater couldn't keep up because of the draft coming through the door. This was especially unpleasant given the arctic temperatures outside. The room was clean though. And is close to the NIU campus. The only two positives.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

JERSEYVILLE, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

On the second day of our stay our room was not serviced. When I reported this to the front desk I was told "sorry but our maids are all gone for the day". Really??? No solution was offered and no attempt was made at service recovery. That night was discounted only after I insisted and had to argue with the front desk staff. The manager has never contacted us or made any attempt at service recovery. The location of this hotel across from NIU and the football stadium is premium but not worth the lousy service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Ms. Hawkins thank you for your review. I aplogize if we didn't meet your expectations on your last visit. At the time you checked in we did not have any first floor rooms available. As soon as my staff told me about your situation I told him to reduce your rate and I look at your folio he did give you the discount we discussed. I know you have been a valued guest in the past. I just reviewed your reservations and you have stayed here at least 9 times in the past 12 months. We really appreciate your business and would like you to return and we will upgrade you to a Luxury Suite on your next trip to Dekalb. Once again, thank you. I will be sure to share these comments with my staff.
Mundelein, Illinois
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was in DeKalb for an alumni event and football game. This hotel is in a great location. I was able to get a whirlpool suite which is huge. We entertained friends in the room both before and after the game. The main room has a TV, large bar, mini fridge, sink, and couches/sitting area. The other room is the bedroom with a huge whirlpool.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
We appreciate your comments and will share them with staff. I happy that you enjoyed the suite. Please make sure you contact me next time you visit Dekalb, I'll try to get you in the same Sweet Suite. It is a great room. We have just completed many upgrades since you checked out, we have added an entire new lighting package, accent wall, new headboards with more to follow. Thank you again for the positive review.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 November 2013

After having our sons funeral and coming to town to get away we went in to book the room and the reception guy was rude. Our room was freezing and we got charged for a call that was so called made from our room. I didn't wanna argue with the guy because we were exhausted from a long drive. You could hear the people outside and where our room was we just didn't feel safe. We were so ready to just go! The train was extremely loud!!

• Stayed October 2013
BWDK, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Rhonda:

I apologize for any inconvinence you experienced over the weekend. My staff informed me Sunday . I did reverse the movie charge. I .tried to call you twice today I was unable to leave a message I really wanted to apologize personally.
Please contact me personally on your next visit to Dekalb I will make sure you ar checked in to a quiet Luxury Suite. Once again I deeply apogize. Please feel free to call me at anytime.
We welcome all reviews I share them with the entire staff to better our service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeKalb
Hampton Inn - DeKalb (Near the University)
Super 8 DeKalb IL
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Rochelle
Holiday Inn Express Rochelle

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites DeKalb? Share your experiences!