“Our Experience with this hotel”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed 4 March 2014

After reading the reviews I was a little reluctant to try this hotel. The location was what we needed at the time and decided to give it a try. I must say, I was glad that we decided to try this hotel. Check in was good and the room was clean. It was nice having a refrigerator and coffee maker. The beds were good, they did not have those crummy picked blankets but nice smooth soft sheets. The bathroom was clean. Some of the furniture was worn, but looked to be clean. From the comments that I read, they are or have taken care of most of the complaints that I read about. The one thing that they have not done yet was do something about the noise of the heater. But I would imagine seeing that they have taken care of other things that, they will get to that. I did not have breakfast there, so cannot comment on that. Over all I would recommend this Hotel. We will use it again. It would be nice to have two packets of coffee for the morning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ruth S
Kevin D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Ruth,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased that you are noticing the positive improvements we have done. I continually write a weekly/monthly list of items that need to be addressed, repaired, or replaced. The heaters are an on going battle. I have changed the fans in all that I am aware of as of now. I keep extra fans on hand for any that need to be replaced. If you care to share the room you were in I would be more than happy to take a look and make sure it is functioning properly. Once again we truly appreciate your kind words and acknowledgement of the efforts we are putting forth. The efforts are still in progress and I hope you can see them next time you are in Decatur. Thank you again.

Kevin M. Dandrea

Reviewed 30 January 2014

For the rate paid we'd expect a room with furnishings in better condition (several items had broken edges, peeling, etc.). Mattress was extremely soft, making it so two people fell into center when sleeping, and woke up with sore backs. Air/heat/fan unit had a high pitched whistling at any particular moment, making for a startling awakening in middle of night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer C
Kevin D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts. I absolutely understand how you feel in regards to the bed. I have been in the in the hotel busines for 20 years and have learned bed comfort is based on the individual. I am sorry they were to soft for you. I myself like a firm mattress.

I inspect 15-20 rooms daily and have recently noticed a little wear myself. I have addressed this with the owner and have started a capital expense list for the calendar year 2014. If you would like to discuss this any further I would love to hear from you. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
Kevin Dandrea-(217)864-9311

Reviewed 29 January 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

My significant other and I stayed here over the Christmas holiday while visiting family in Mt Zion. I'll separate my review into room and exterior. (My old user name was Sapper132 but since I'm no longer with that company I couldn't retrieve my email address.)

When we first arrived, after roughly a 4 hour drive I was exhausted and the first thing to get me spun up was finding the entrance. The only entrance is connected to the movie theater and restaurant parking lot. Very strange setup if you ask me. Not having a double door at the entrance let alone automatic doors is a complete turn off. This alone would make me not stay here in the future. Of course if the staff offered to hold the door while I brought my luggage in it could be better. But really it's almost 2014 and there is no automatic door or revolving door, just an old fashioned pull open. What set me off was the receptionist, after I managed to get my things and I through the door she asked if she could help me. I kindly said yes you could have helped me with the door and to her reply "I didn't know" I almost walked out.

Check in was quick but it would have been nice to choose what floor I was going to be on. I'm a disabled veteran and doing 3rd floor rooms is hard even with an elevator.

The hallways could use a fresh coat of paint. The spot painting that was with a roller can actually be seen if you look.

The hotel is located near plenty of stores, restaurants, Walmart and a movie theater. These things make it ideal.

The room itself was decent and very clean, inside the room there is no thermostat to control the room temperature. Instead it's the turn the knob to hot, cold or something in between and select fan, heat, ac etc. The water pressure is horrible, and water temperature doesn't get hot enough.

The coffee pot worked as did the microwave and mini fridge, my only suggestion would be to put a couple bottles of water in the fridge. Realizing that I needed a glass of water and having to get dressed to go buy one after a long day was enervating.

The TV in the room is a nice flat panel lcd tv and has sufficient channels to choose from. The couch and bed (we had a queen) was very comfortable. The lamps in the room were a bit out dated. Looking for the switch to turn them on was annoying. The makeup station next to the bathroom was fantastic according to my girl. She loved having all that room with appropriate lighting to put her face on.

The bathroom in my opinion was clean but was lacking in water pressure as I mentioned above both in the shower and the toilet. I had to buy a plunger to keep the toilet flowing as anything over rabbit size would stop it up. The toilet it self sat very low and the seat was very flimsy.

Overall I'd say 3 and a half stars, I might stay here again but that really depends on the door situation.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Kevin D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Kor588,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on your recent stay. I would first like to apologize for my staff not walking around the frontdesk to assist you with your luggage. We are always willing to help so I do not know why they did not in this situation. I also aplogize that you were not on the first floor but we preassign the rooms based on room types. Next time you stay with us feel free to request a floor when making the reservation or at the time of check in and we will do our best to accommodate your requests.

We do have updates planned in 2014 that I hope you notice on your next visit. We have also discussed and are consideriing the automatic doors you mentioned. They are extremely expensive but for easier guest access we are thinking about installing them.

I am pleased you found the room clean and all the overall positive remarks you made. We take pride in our hotel and the product we offer. Thank you for the 3.5 stars and the mention of your return.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Kevin D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Recommended to us by friends from Decatur, this was a good choice. Breakfast was good, not great. The room was fine. Refrigerator was a bit noisy. Staff was courteous and professional. Convenient to shops, restaurants. Good value. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay. My staff and I are pleased to see you would stay here again. Once again, thank you for the feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

Kevin Dandrea

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 weeks while I worked at a temporary job. The staff was friendly and always willing to help. When I washed and dried clothes one night the dryer locked up. The staff let me use the facility drier to finish drying my clothes. Breakfast is a hot meal with several choices. Except for the refrigerator in the room being loud at times, the room was comfortable. There is a little kitchenette and I was able to cook some of our meals. That way we could relax in the evening, instead of having to go out for a meal.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Kevin D, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Susan,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your extended stay with us. It is not always easy to live in a hotel for that long and still feel comfortable. My staff and I are extremely pleased to hear the kind words you chose to share with us about your stay. Thank you and we hope to see you again if you ever need "A place to call home" in the Decatur area.

KevinDandrea

Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
Hampton Inn Decatur Mt Zion
#9 of 13 in Decatur
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#5 of 13 in Decatur

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Decatur? Share your experiences!