“Clean, spacious and quiet”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is a former holiday inn express -- converted recently, I surmise -- and it's a pleasant place to stay, if you can ignore the outrageous carpet in the halls. My room was spacious, clean and fully equipped with a coffee maker, frig, microwave, flat screen (not hd) tv, working area, free inroom wifi and a easy chair and ottoman. What else do you need? The lobby is shiny clean; hotel also offers a pool, hot tub, small fitness center and a public computer and printer. If you're there for a while, the laundry would be useful. Location is a bit off the beaten path, but it's within a mile or so of all the chain restaurants and a shopping center. Free breakfast is good, with hot scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy and bacon, along with the usual suspects -- cereal, pancakes, breads. Curiously (but fine with with me) no doughnots or cupcakes -- the only fresh fruit is a large platter of apples in the lobby. I would have no trouble staying here again...it is clean, spacious and quiet. what else could i ask for?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you so much for the input you gave us concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I really enjoy receiving positive reviews! I make it a point to share all reviews with my employees and use the reviews as a tool to motivate and encourage them. If you are ever in the area again, I hope you will take that opportunity to visit us.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I've stayed here several times, but tonight's will be my last stay. This place has gone downhill since converting from the old Holiday Inn. It's in no way worth the $80 room plus tax. It's extremely dirty, and the online photos of the rooms are misleading. They don't look like that at all. Most furniture is outdated and damaged in some way.

In multiple rooms I've stayed in, I've had all similar experiences. The white sheets on the bed are always spotted, who knows if they are clean. The blanket they lay at the end of the bed (and never clean) is always dirty. This one tonight had chip or cookie crumbs all over it when I turned it over. The couch chairs in the rooms are always filthy, loaded with spots and marks. I wouldn't touch the furniture with a pole. The carpet is ripping at the seams in every room I've stayed, and there is always dirt buildup and spots near the bathroom on the carpet. My white socks are always black after walking around. I dare you to wet a white cloth and rub it on the carpet. It will look black in seconds.

The bathroom sometimes has hair in the sink, and I notice cracks in the walls and ceiling in the rooms, bathroom, and closet. When they've clearly tried to repair any cracks or holes in the wall, it looks like an 8th grader did it. They aren't re-painted or done professionally at all. The staff here has no idea what they are doing, or they simply take zero pride in their work. The hole inside the closet was patched by a blind person.

In addition, they do not seem to have a furnace/AC unit in any room that works properly. I've had one that blew out disgustingly rotten cheesy smelling air, and when I approached the front desk to change rooms, she says "Yea we've had complaints about that before." haha! Then why would you put someone else in that room!?!?! Especially without fixing it!! Clueless and carless. The units are also just loud; they hum loudly and make all kinds of noises. This place is very poorly run.

If you look in the other public areas, you'll notice the pool is dirty and the "workout center" has broken equipment and it's also dirty. The floors next to and behind the vending machines haven't been cleaned in years. Corners are filthy and cobwebs are in the ceiling corners. It's just gross.

Honestly, Forsyth is a good location for people needing to be near Decatur like me. It has better restaurants right around here, but there are also like 8 other hotels. I would stay somewhere else with a better known name across route 51.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the problems you incurred with the cleanliness of your guest room carpet and the lack of attention to detail in our public areas. I value all feedback and use it as a training tool to better my staff. You mentioned that you will be staying elsewhere when returning to the area, however if given the opportunity I do hope you will stay with us again and allow us to give you a better impression of how our hotel really is.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

The place was immaculately clean. The rooms were very spacious. The king bed was very comfortable and the décor to the room comfy and welcoming! The staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. There was a mall in walking distance that had Bergner's, Sears, J.C.Penny, Von Mauer and many other stores.
In the back of the building right outside the swimming pool door, there was a brick fireplace with a fire going in it. The patio was very clean and the landscape was fresh and beautiful!
The breakfast was delicious and there was a great variety. The only thing not A+ was the coffee!

Room Tip: We had a room on 2nd floor that was very quiet and on the corner (217).
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the years while visiting family in the area. Although their name has changed 3 times I think over the years, still a nice place and good staff. Nice warm indoor pool and I love their hot tub. Located across highway from Hickory Point Mall but far enough back off road, no noise. Decent hot breakfast with numerous choices. Will definitely be back when there. Easy on off from Intersate.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Tara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you for staying with us when you are in the Decatur area and for taking the time to write a review concerning your recent stay. I appreciate the positive feedback and will make sure that it is passed on to my staff.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

NOW called Welcome Hotel & Suites. Stayed here for 2 nights over Thanksgiving weekend. Entry was decorated nicely, but there was litter on the floor (paper). Elevator also had litter on the floor. Room was mostly clean, but carpet in front of bathroom had two huge bleached stains. There was a dead spider under the counter in the bathroom. The window in our room whistled when the wind blew. We were only there to sleep, so the room served that purpose, at least the king size bed was clean and comfortable. We went down to breakfast around 7:30 a.m. Breakfast was horrible, could have used some serious help! Orange juice was so watered down it tasted like orange colored water. Both of my husband's cartons of milk were spoiled, and when he talked to the front desk, they were very disinterested. We also watched two middle school aged kids handle every cookie in the basket at the snack counter, tossing them back in the basket, while the person at the front desk did nothing. We walked thru to check breakfast the next morning, to see if the day before was just a fluck, but the milk in the fridge was spoiled as well, the pancake machine was out of order, and the rest of the selections were minimal (not that we ate breakfast there). We booked this room on hotwire which said it was a 3-star, it definitely was not! Price we received did not reflect a 2-star property, but that is hotwire's issue, not the hotels. I would not stay here again, hotel is way over priced, then have to deal with the issues above.

Room Tip: best tip to find a good room, stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2012

My hotel of choice was booked and found the Welcome Hotel & Suites. It is definitely NOT a Holiday Inn! The entire hotel looks dated as do the rooms. I kept having issues with my room card where the door would not open and had to have my room keys replaced 3 times. Don't fall for the "keep your cards away from..." excuse. The door lock needs to be replaced! I was here for 3 days and had to try my card 20 or more times to get the door to unlock each time. My room was not serviced the 2nd night. Also, the mattress did not fit the bed frame and I found that the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. I kept knocking my shin on a metal piece that was protruding from the frame and left with a few bruises. They do offer a free breakfast that was okay and they offer a free dinner on some nights. I found the food to be quite salty and barely eatible.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Booked this as a Hotwire Hot Rate so didn't know what I was getting. Hotwire had it labeled as a 3* which it definitely isn't. It's probably is a 2.5* or 2*. That's Hotwire's problem, not the hotel's. As other reviewers have pointed out, it is no longer a Holiday Inn and Suites and now the Welcome Inn and Suites. Overall, the hotel didn't live up to expectations, nothing really blew me away and there were some areas that were lacking. I probably wouldn't stay here again as the price wasn't worth the value.

Pros:
- Location, close to the mall with many dining options
- Relatively quiet. We had the a corner room, 2nd floor looking over a cornfield. First floor, however, always had kids screaming and running around by pool
- Foyer is nice, however, same quality doesn't extend into the rooms.
- Fridge and microwave in the very large room.

Cons:
- Strange, off-putting smells throughout the hotel. It always smelled like over-ripe bananas on the first floor, there was a musty smell in certain parts of the room, and the elevator just smelled rotten. We took the stairs the rest of the stay.
- Room seemed slightly dingy. Broken tiles in the bathroom, carpet not well-cleaned.
- Left hotel between noon-1pm, room was never cleaned
- Breakfast was picked over by 8:30 and not replenished
- 4 puny pillows on king bed. I know I could have asked for more, but it looked ridiculous and cheap on a king bed.
- Sheets were scratchy and bed was average, nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side of the hotel overlook a corn field rather than the parking lot and the back o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple