“Nice atmosphere but do not go there for the food or service”

The Devonshire Arms at Pilsley - Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Pilsley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We were there in a party of six and had to wait ages for the food to come. When it did come it was only ordinary. The fish and chips was OK but the fish had been aged a bit. The steak pie was a small triangle of pie and no gravy. One of our party had to wait ten minutes for her meal after we had started ours. You got the impression that they were saving money on kitchen staff.

Helen B, Manager at The Devonshire Arms at Pilsley - Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

So very dissapointed that you did'nt enjoy your meal with us. I can asure you that we are not trying to save money in the kitchen. We pride ourselves on service & food. Please contact me on 01246 583258 as I would like to know when you came so I can investigate the matter.

Regards
Helen

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We went here for dinner and the service was fine and welcoming. The food was ok but nothing special, reasonable value for money.
The liver was over cooked but the lamb steak was pretty tasty. We thought the food might be better so maybe it's partly about expectations. It's certainly a busy place and welcoming.

1  Thank chestervoyager
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Had a great lunch here today. When booking I asked for a table with wheelchair access and that was arranged with no fuss. The meal was delicious, all meat sourced from Chatsworth Farm shop. Huge portions and all really tasty. The manager arranged for my husbands pudding to have a candle on it, as he was celebrating his 50th birthday and she even sang happy birthday.
Lovely pub to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine, or to eat in for a reasonable price for the quality.
Recommended for couples and families.

Helen B, Manager at The Devonshire Arms at Pilsley - Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will make sure I thank Janette who was in charge of the Good Friday lunchtime for helping make the birthday lunch a special one.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

All the food we had was proudced with care and attention. The steak and ale pie on the specials board I had was simply moresome and very filling. The Peak Ales cask ale also comes highly recommended and is well looked after.

Helen B, Manager at The Devonshire Arms at Pilsley - Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review it is truly appreciated.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

It's been a while since we last visited and we were slightly disappointed with the choice and quality of food on offer. I had the dressed crab salad which was not of the quality I would expect from this establishment. The crab was mixed with lots of mayonnaise, which indicates it was not fresh. The salad could have been out of a bag with one piece of tomato, one piece of red pepper and one piece of green pepper. My wife had the steak pie, which was huge, but only came with chips and mushy peas when potatoes and veg would have been a nice alternative. Service was very good and they have a nice selection of beers. Unfortunately, we will not be returning in a hurry. Not cheap either, 2 drinks and 2 main courses £30

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
All feedback is very important to us.