“Slightly below average”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
Bowling Green, Kentucky
“Slightly below average”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Checked in here after getting in late to Chicago and it was perfect for what we needed. Just a place to crash and shower in the morning. It was about 25 min from downtown Chicago and a little close to the interstate. It didn't help that our room was the closest and facing the interstate (Room 134), but the room seemed larger because it was the handicapped room, due to the larger bathroom and lower light switches. The room was average, and the towels seemed a little thin, but we just asked for more to compensate. The room seemed newly renovated because the paint and trim didn't look dirty and worn yet. The TV was still one of the box tvs instead of flat panels so maybe it wasn't all updated yet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HanKelly
Mirian L, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review. The team and I, at the Red Roof Inn - Northbrook apreciate any feedback we receive from valued customers like you. It helps us to identify any area of improvement in our service or quality. I would love to be at your service in your next stay; fell free to contact me at the property any time you may have any future lodging needs in the Chicago area, so I can assure that we meet your special requests and better room location for you.

Mirian Leon - General Manager
(847)205-1755
340 S Waukegan Road.
Northbrook/Deerfield, IL 60015

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Korean first
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I walked into the room and thought I had traveled back to the Kennedy Presidential Years. The room was nice and warm and clean but all decore was old. They advertise flat screen TV's, ours was an old 25 inch Panasonic tube tv with bad reception and some fuzzy channels. The bathroom had a shower curtain either hung too high or was too short, that when you took your shower it would not stay in the tub and flooded the floor. The towels I think I could read the news paper thru, they were so thin and non absorbent, it takes 2 towels to dry off. The exhaust fan sounded like a Biplane from World War ! trying to take off. I showered with the light from the dressing area and not the shower area so I would not disturb the people in the rooms around me. Iam glad it was only $50 a night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Will D
Nashville
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have stayed at this property many times, most recently in October, 2013. The location is excellent for the Greater North Shore area and the room rate represents excellent value. Most of the other Reviewers seem to agree with me that the office staff are very competent, friendly and accommodating. The reported 'horror' stories regarding individual rooms seem rather fanciful--or at least exaggerated--based upon my experiences staying here from time to time over the past several years. (I have never encountered a problem.) It is true that this is an elderly Red Roof Inn, with some rooms having been converted to the upgraded amenities which they advertise nationally. Again, the primary reasons for staying here are: location and value. (Book your room online for the lowest price.) If your priorities are different, you should, of course, look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Freeland, Michigan
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights during a trip for work. I chose to pick a cheap hotel, so that's what I got and was fine with it. The room did smell a bit of old cigarette smoke. Since hotels used to have smoking rooms, I assume its just a left over smell. The room was clean. The sheets were clean (I always check that first no matter where I stay). The bathroom was small, but efficient. They had good water pressure. No flat screen, microwave, or refrigerator in the basic room. Basic cable channels and the internet works but is a bit slow. The lobby was very nice and they had coffee. More than enough parking and easy access to the highway and shopping.
With lower rate hotels, you do get lower-rate neighbors, however. A gentlemen took note of my room number at some point in the afternoon and called me later that evening to see if I wanted company. It made me uneasy seeing as how he knew my room number, however the front desk had no problem assigning me a new room on the spot.
If you are just staying for a short time and not spending much time in your room, this hotel may be an option.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Book online for best price and you will find this place is cheap and because it's cheap you get what you pay for here. It does not offer breakfast, not sure about internet, but parking is free. No coffee machine or blow dryer in room either. Still I would recommend staying here if you can check out the room prior to checking in. The room we had was clean and smelled clean and the beds were surprisingly decent in comfort. If a cheap place to stay is what you want, look no further.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DaytripperChicago
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Had a terrible experience here over the Labor Day weekend. Nearly 30 guests stayed there for our wedding reception, which was at a restaurant across the street, and I think half of them had some sort of a bad experience, from long lines at check-in, to double booked rooms, to phantom charges. I felt horrible that my guests had to deal with all of that. Plus, for 70$ a night, I would expect a bottle of shampoo and conditioner at the very least.
On the positive note, our room was clean, otherwise, would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank huliganjetta
Onalaska
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel was nothing short of disgusting! When we walked into the room we were taken aback by the strong smell of stale cigarette smoke, some fresh as well I believe. Either way we put our luggage back into the car so that our clothing did not stink in the morning. We checked in really late so finding a different hotel was not really an option for us. Upon climbing in bed I found several long hairs, not mine, on both the pillow and the sheets. I am assuming the maid needed a nap?!? The GFI outlet by the sink did not work, the lighting above the sink was constantly flickering, and my husband found an empty peanut jar under one of the beds. The one thing I am grateful for is that my husband knows me well enough that if he had told me he found a large, dead, roach-like bug under the AC unit that I would have demanded we sleep in the car. Thankfully he waited until we checked out to share that little tidbit with me. The lady at the desk said she would have the manager call me but I am not holding out hope.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Htweets
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deerfield
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Highland Park/Northbrook
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
Courtyard Chicago Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
Hyatt Regency Deerfield
#2 of 6 in Deerfield
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield? Share your experiences!