“Very Fresh Sushi” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Chicago, IL
“Very Fresh Sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Rather surprised at the quality of the sushi in this cute little strip mall restaurant. Stopped for lunch and it was very good, heading back for dinner next week. Nice selection of lunch specials, two people can get away with $20 for lunch so the prices are very much in line.

• Visited November 2013

• Indonesian first
Chicago, Illinois
“Oh yeah, Oba!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

My dad was flying through Chicago and had a two hour layover, so I wanted to find a decent restaurant not too far from O'Hare. I did a little research and decided on Oba. I'm so glad I did!! What a find. It doesn't look like much from the outside, just a tiny storefront in a tiny strip mall. But the interior is sleek and contemporary with black and lacquer red decor. It's quite small with only about six tables and four booths, in addition to the sushi bar. When we arrived at 12:05 pm, all the tables were already taken, so we sat at the sushi bar. The menu is quite extensive, especially the list of signature rolls, and the prices are very reasonable. But the value for the dollar is even more impressive. First she brought us an amuse bouche of deep fried tofu which was delicious. Then, she brought complimentary edamame. Our meals all came with miso soup and a salad. By the time our entrees came, we were practically full! Luckily, we saved enough room because the sushi was outstanding. I ordered a jalapeno hamachi roll, which was not only delicious but also beautiful, and the sashimi lunch special with 12 pieces of sashimi for only $14...you do the math. My husband ordered the spicy roll lunch special (I didn't care for the Urban Heat roll personally). My dad had the sushi/sashimi combination and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint was the speed of the service, or lack thereof, but I have to give them credit because the staff consists of only three people: the sushi chef, who worked tirelessly and endlessly; the kitchen chef; and the young woman who did everything else -- seated diners, took the orders, served all the food and drinks, wrote up the checks and cleared the tables -- all with a smile for the customers. If we weren't in a bit of a hurry, the slow service would have been easily overlooked. So, my recommendation is to GO to Oba...but go when you have plenty of time to sit and relax and enjoy the delicious cuisine!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Smashing food great quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

Myself and three colleagues visited this restaurant on Thursday 22nd May the quality of the food was smashing watching the chef prepare and present the platters for us was interesting and help make our meal very enjoyable, great service from the young lady and she was really caring and carefully interested to ensured that we enjoyed the experience.
Well worth a visit, next time I visit the area it will certainly be on my list of to do's

Visited May 2013
“Fresh and tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Did not eat in, did take out. Was very interested to try this restaurant because of the already high ratings on trip advisor. The food was superb! Will definitely go here again, probably eat in next time.

• Visited August 2012
West Chicago, Illinois
“Great Sushi and Extras”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Just had lunch at OBA. Amazing service and great sushi along with a few extra perks. Started off with a salad and miso soup. Ordered a Rainbow roll and a "Pink Cadillac". We were served tiny appetizers of Fried Tofu (Yum) and mini fried potstickers (YUM) The Rainbow was ok but the "Pink Cadillac" and the follow up "Fire" rolls were out of this world.
Edamame was in a HUGE bowl and the whole meal was followed up by a small sorbet. PERFECT!!! The bill was also very reasonable!

Great Job Oba!!