“Good Food/Culture”

New Seoul Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 185 Restaurants in Des Plaines
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Korean BBQ at the table. So much fun! The soup and meats are excellent. Lots of veggies. If your not interested in BBQ they have a full menu.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

After a long trip eating bland airline food in a nasty economy seat, New Seoul was a welcome relief. The crispy seafood pancake (pa jun) and well marinated bbq short ribs (kalbi) cut through the jet lag to provide a satisfying supper.

As with many Korean bbq's, there's a two order minimum for charcoal grilling, so our single kalbi order was cooked in the kitchen. Even without the wood smoke, the meat was remarkably tasty and sliced thinly for easy dining.

The earnest, personal service was also welcome after a day of corporation mandated pleasantries.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stopped in here when I was early for an O'Hare departure and still had my car. Good choice!! The spicy kimchi stew (kimchi jigae?) was outstanding and perfect on a snowy evening. I'll have to try the BBQ next time. Can't believe reviewers have complained that a Korean BBQ place got smoky....

1  Thank Dugaru
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We spent New Year's Day lunch at the New Seoul restaurant. I had been to Korean BBQ before a long time ago when I lived in Asia but not with charcoal. The friendly owner came over and asked if he could tell a few suggestions. When we tried to order more food he said it was not much. We agreed on a main BBQ which comes with around 9 little nibble dishes. We ordered beef and prawns for our BBQ and mushrooms. These were no average mushroom. Very large, mushroom with a very soft flavor. In the beginning the owner showed us how to do the cooking so we could get an idea of how to do it. The owner was a great salesman. He made it easy for us to enjoy our meal and the food was outstanding. There is a fair amount of smoke but it goes up a vent over the BBQ. But don't wear you finest outfit. The food is worth the trip.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband and I ate there one night while passing through. Food was delicious. An older Korean gentleman was very helpful explaining how the koreans usually like to cook the food and combine it with all the sides, frequently checking in on us. He told us he does that because he felt that if we didn't cook it right, we wouldn't enjoy the food and wouldn't be back. Even though we live out of state I hope to make it back for another great meal.