“First Time visit”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I were looking for something different to eat at. We decided to give this place a try. They open at 6 in the morning and close at 3 in the afternoon, 7 days a weeks, that is their summer hours. You can order breakfast anytime during the business hours, but you can't order biscuits and gravy after 11 am. When we arrived were greeted by the owner and promptly seated, dining room was really full and it was quite obvious that many have been coming here for years. We watched as one customer went so far as to help the waitress clear a table. We both chose to eat breakfast. I had the Mexican Skillet and a short stack of pancakes and my wife had French toast and scrambled eggs. The food came and it was hot and well presented. It was flavorful. The pancakes were made with wheat flour and a little thicker that I normal make mine but they were still good. My skillet came with eggs, I chose over easy. I should have ordered over medium, the whites were a little runny. But being here for the first time, if we return I will order my eggs medium, because every restaurant cooks their eggs differently, eggs over easy can mean a lot of different things to different cooks. I'm sure we will return here again.

There are newer reviews for Red Apple Family Restaurant

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Usually fast very friendly and a great value try the skillets quick and very plentiful. Breakfast anytime and chicken strips at lunch are big and very tasty

1  Thank robert s
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The Red Apple has been one of my favorite restaurants in Dixon since I was little. Perfect for meeting old friends over a great cup of coffee, or family after church on Sunday. Always friendly service, and food that's made with heart. My favorite family owned spot. The owners know most of their customers by name, and care about your response when they ask how you are. A great place to feel like family. :)

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The Red Apple Family Restaurant is a gem off of I-88 West in Dixon, Illinois.
We asked at the last toll booth out of Chicago for a good Breakfast place. The toll booth attendant did not steer us wrong! Down a county road & left we found The Red Apple. This 21 year old family run diner type restaurant more than met our expectations for a good hot meal. Three eggs, country sausage patty, hash browns & toast for $5.95. The table across from us ordered their breakfast with the hamburger steak which had to be at least 12 oz. the service was quick & polite, serving us our coffee & water as soon as we slid in our booth. This is a place we'd stop at again next time we are driving out of Chicago. For a basic breakfast, with a plethora of choices, at a reasonable price, The Red Apple is worth the small detour off of I-88.