“Surprisingly Asian!”

Dining options: Reservations
Naperville, Illinois
“Surprisingly Asian!”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

There's a lot Japanese restaurant in the area, but there are few that you can really say that is so ASIAN! Great sushi, great maki or roll as what it is commonly called. Price is affordable and you must try the King kong, Caterpillar & the Krunchy roll!. Freshly done and you'll be surprise with their presentation too! I highly recommend this place. If you are in the area of Oakbrook & Downers Grove you have to stop by!

• Visited March 2013

Savannah
“Great Sushi!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I am a huge sushi/sashimi fan...I have ate at several sushi restaurants in the past, and the sushi here is comparable. Fresh, melts in your mouth with a gorgeous presentation...I wanted to take a picture, but was a bit timid (it's disappointing that someone else had a bad experience). I was the only one in the restaurant, at the time...I went about 3pm for a late lunch. The waitress almost seemed annoyed (that's why I only gave 4 points)...myself and others like me are kind of part of her livelyhood. Besides that, the sushi chef was cheerful and kind. I think he was bored, as well, and enjoyed that I gave him something to do. I do agree, however, that the green tea tasted funky. Almost fishy, which I thought was ironic, since the sashimi tasted fantastic (and not at all fishy). I will definitely go back again (but I just won't order the green tea :).

• Visited February 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
“Good Sushi - Try the daily special”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Went here two weeks ago and the Sushi was fresh and good. The Vulcano roll was delicious as well as the The Sexy Hot mama roll. It was very affordable, and being a Sushi lover we were very content with this place.

• Visited November 2012
Chicago, IL
“This is not good sushi”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I don't consider myself a sushi snob by any means, but this is not a good sushi place. We have a very reliable place in our hometown that we frequent, but I decided to check out somewhere different, and Kyoto received good reviews here. I'm not sure why. Here was our experience:

Ambiance - Once I got over the immediate fishy smell upon entering the restaurant (should've been a big red flag especially for a sushi place), is was decent. Warm colors, nice size sushi bar, hip lounge music playing in the background.

Service - Lacking. Our waitress was not friendly and seemed preoccupied for most of our visit. We were helped by several different people but no one was great. We didn't wait a terribly long time for our food, but a smile or a little personality would've been nice.

Food - Poor. When I try new sushi places I often order a few mainstays to compare to what we know. A rundown of what we ordered:
Tea: It smelled burnt, and tasted worse. Undrinkable. We asked the waiter who brought it to us and he said something about it being green tea, stir fried with popcorn. What??? That explained the smell and taste. We asked for regular green tea and he said they didn't have it. Again...what?? So we settled with our ice waters.
Gyoza: not bad, but could've used more crispiness, and didn't have much flavor.
Spicy Tuna maki roll: the tuna was fine, the seaweed wrap was very tough and fishy.
Salmon maki roll: nothing special
Flaming Snow roll: creamy, but no spice whatsoever. Generally bland. What a disappointment.
Dragon Roll: okay, but I've had much better elsewhere. I'm used to savoring every bite of tender eel, but this was just average at best.

I'm happy to say we didn't get sick on our meal, but it was probably one of the most disappointing sushi meals I've had in a long time. I've been to my share of sushi places, in the suburbs as well as in the city. Some are better than others for sure, but most I would consider returning. This place will not receive my business again, and I definitely would not recommend it. If you are in the western suburbs looking for tasty sushi, go to Abashiri in Bloomingdale!

• Visited November 2012
Chicagoland
“Best sushi in the area. Great value”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I eat sushi out about half a dozen times a year. I have been going to two other places off 75th street in Downers Grove, but thought we would give this place a try for something different. Kyoto had the freshest and best tasting sushi I have had in a long time. The service was great and the menu selection was pretty extensive. They offered at least three asian beers, $4, which is reasonable for the area. A couple for dinner with two beers, appitziers, and five roles, with tip for around $50.

For the price and the freshness of the ingredients this is my new go to sushi place for the Downers Grove area. This place also felt very clean and newer.

• Visited July 2012