“Manager Rage” 2 of 5 bubbles

Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
“Manager Rage”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Hello, My family and I came to this hotel for a soccer tournament. After arriving, I checked the television for a playoff game and saw that it was blacked out. I then called the lobby and asked where the game was on and was told I could watch it in the lobby. I then asked where was a good place to get pizza delivered from. Upon delivery of our dinner the manager informed us we could not eat in the lobby. When I explained I had asked about the game and food in the same conversation he said yes I know I was the one you talked to and I am not required to tell you about eating in the lobby. After discussing with him that we attend many tournaments and hotels and have yet to have this happen. He said with a very negative tone, well you have now, I said I did not appreciate the undo attitude as I felt he was to blame for the confusion and walked to the elevator. As I was stepping into the elevator he said very loudly "Its not a difficult concept to understand" again in a derogatory tone. I walked back to him and said that he was being ridiculous, we were leaving and he makes a snide comment behind our back to other guests.(who were team members also) The Manager then threatened very loudly to have us escorted out of the hotel if we kept it up. Bottom line no signs, no indication in anyway, only one place to watch the game and have to eat in your room. All of which the manager could of told us in our initial conversation. I am a Marriott member and am seriously debating cancelling the membership due to the blatant lack of respect and understanding shown my family. I spent the weekend explaining to team parents what happened because he screamed I will have escorted out for no reason. That is not the kind of customer service I have been accustomed to at other Marriott Hotels.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank kevin s
Vincent H, Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
We are sorry for the misunderstanding at our hotel. Yes, we unfortunately do not allow outside food and beverage in the lobby lounge or restaurant. This is due to the fact that we serve food and beverage and this is the location that our Servers earn their income. In respect for the staff members who earn their living through food and beverage service provided in our hotel, we do ask that all outside food and beverage be consumed in the guest room. If outside beverages contains alcohol, we are in jeopardy of the loss of our liquor license if we allow alcohol that was not served by the hotel in this space. Thank you for understanding.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Marshfield, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

The beds were comfortable and the pillows were just right; I liked the crispness/clean-feeling of the sheets. The murphy bed in the living room was cool and worked out comfortably well for our daughter. I requested a higher level room for quietness because I'm one of those who is a light sleeper; the first night was very quiet. The second night wasn't as good because there was now someone in the room above. I heard their foot movements, opening/closing of doors, etc. which didn't do much for my sleep. That was easily overlooked though. The main concern I have is that after we checked in, we were surprised to hear a knocking at the door -- turns out it was a man in a hotel uniform (maintenance?) who said he was just checking that everything was all right. I question this as a safety concern because I had reserved the room in my name (female) only, and I was wondering if this was a legitimate room check or something more sinister (I had read about this happening elsewhere, in another review). I notified the hotel on checkout and they said it was not standard for maintenance to come by unless we had formally requested for services (we had not). We did not eat at the hotel restaurant - there are plenty of choices not too far from the hotel. Location was great and staff were politely helpful. Our room was clean.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter (top floor would be a plus)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vincent H, Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We apologize that the requested room type may not have been available at the time of check in. It is always our goal to honor as many guest requests as possible.

In regards to one of our Engineers at your door, we apologize that he disturbed you after check-in. At times our Engineers are required to make repairs/general maintenance requests in our guest rooms. Many times these requests are submitted by our Housekeepers as they are cleaning rooms. While these items are generally completed in-between guests, there are a few occasions where new guests check-in. We apologize for this inconvenience and hope you understand that it is our goal to present the best room for our guests. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at 630.852.1500.
Marcellus, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I spent the week in this hotel in March of 2014. The staff was excellent, the gym was very good, and the rooms were nice. It just confirms my belief in the Marriott name. Breakfast was OK, a bit expensive but cooked to order which was nice. The lounge was nice as they had outlets and internet for computers. Would reccommend this place!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your business trip and hope to see you again in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a marriage retreat with my church and I was overall satisfied with the check in service. Rooms are great with microwave and mini refrigerator, and the beds are more than generously comfortable. Down side was that I had a half used bottle of shampoo in the bathroom which leads me to question their cleaning standards as well as they still have glass cups in the rooms. I personally don't like the glass cups after seeing a undercover documentary of hotels where the maids were cleaning them out with the same towels they would wipe off the toilet seat off with. Overall I enjoyed this hotel and I plan on returning in the future. This hotel is located near lots of resturants and shopping!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying at our hotel for your church retreat! We apologize for the half shampoo bottle. We certainly appreciate you pointing this out to us and will speak with our Houskeepers immediately.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

The pool was full of black people with very big mouths that i get out with headache after 5 min staying theare.and the bathroom and the room ...well very dirty .. Yellow dirty in the tub... etc ( forget the breakfast)

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Dontstayhere1234
John L, Manager at Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
We will most certainly look into the the issues you mentioned about the cleanliness of your guestroom. We apoligize for any inconvenience as it relates to cleanliness of your room.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I was here for 5 nights for business. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was nice and had good food. The suites were very spacious and the beds were comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your business trip. We appreciate your staying and also for dining with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience! We will share your comments with our Chef and his Team.
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We just stayed 4 days, from the moment that we checked in at 1am after a bad flight delay the overnight staff was very friendly, got us checked in very quickly. Every morning we would go down to the lobby for the complimentary coffee (very good by the way) and he staff would always greet us, and talk with you like you were their personal guest. Excellent customer service. Great breakfast too, it is not a free continental breakfast, but they have a chef that will make your breakfast to order, so it is fresh and really good. Clean rooms, great business center, comfortable beds, and even an additional fold out bed from the wall not a fold out bed from the couch, and French doors that separate the main bedroom from the living room area so you have privacy from whomever is using the pull down bed. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago - Lombard/Oak Brook
Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove

Been to Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove? Share your experiences!