Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed here on our way into Chicago during a move because they allowed pets. It was the dirtiest hotel we've ever stayed in. All the bedding was easily 20 years old. We would've left if not for having driven 23 hours and it being 3 am.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Lisa32490

Reviewed 3 October 2011

Was in Downers Grove for a night and decided to stay at this property. The location is very convenient with easy access to major freeways. Since I was here for only one night and had to check out very early in the morning, I did not get to experience the complimentary breakfast. Ample parking outside the hotel. The hotel property itself is an older property and in dire need of a complete renovation. The room furnishings are dated and need to be replaced. The AC unit did not work well. The TV is an older box type (not a flat panel). The carpeting in the room looked like it has not been replaced for a long, long time. In general, the rooms looked a little bit on the shabbier side and definitely didn't measure up to the standard of the newer HIEs that I have stayed at before. The service at the front desk, however, was friendly and efficient. All in all, given what I paid for this room, I think you should be able to find better alternatives nearby.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank VineetD
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Our stay in HIE Downers Grove started with some hiccups. We booked an rollaway bed, but, on arrival, I had been told that there're no rollaways available. However, after I made it known to the receptionist lady that it is, basically, her problem (we booked the bed, we paid for it and, if she is unable to provide a rollaway, she has an option of giving us an extra room for free), she said she was going to double-check, and a rollaway magically became available 3 minutes later.

That event basically set the tone for our stay in this HIE. OK place, good price, but you not without hiccups. On the positive side, this is decent place 30 minutes from downtown Chicago (I've checked). Breakfast features actual food, rooms are big and clean, A/C unit in the room is quiet. On the negative side, mattresses are too soft, lines are old (but clean) and breakfast items aren't replenished often enough. On our second day there, they ran out of bacon by 8:30 a.m. and out of scrambled eggs by 8:45, but breakfast is till 9 a.m. So, anyone coming to have a breakfast in last 15 minutes didn't have much choice of hot food (oats or bisquits with gravy). And they locked the door of food area in 8:59 sharp.

I would not mind to stay here again, but there's nothing to make me miss the place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CanRu
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Me and my family make a reservation in internet and we know the price already, its $89.00 and book 2 rms.we arrive there at i:30 pm the are not ready yet, which is ok because the check-in time is at 3:00 pm . we left and come back at 8:pm we are tired and they let my wife sign the paper works and my wife signed it. we ask the F.D. a baby crib and they want us to pay, but we argue that it should be free and finally they provide us free. when we are ready to check-out we foound out that they charge us $129.00 for each room so we complained and finally they agree to go down the price becau we show them the internet print out of our reservation. but still not right becuase it $99.00 each room they want. Now taht we just came back from vacation we complaint tour Credit Card Comp. not to pay the deffirence. I hope other guest to watch out what ever they sign b 4 check inn. especially these particular Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank junsosmena
Reviewed 12 June 2011

The family stayed in 2 adjoining rooms for one night. It was recommended by a frequent business traveler, and his recommendation was right on. This is a decent place with helpful staff. Good location right off of !-355 at Butterfield and near I-88. We worked with the front desk folks to get adjoining rooms and they were very attentive and helpful. Breakfast is included and has actual food! Pancakes, eggs and bacon were great. Plenty of restaurants nearby (try Portillo's across the street for hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches). My only gripe was our mattress. It was lumpy and uncomfortable. We found the same mattress issue in our second room, too. Overall, this is a good place for the money. I might look elsewhere if we were staying longer.

Room Tip: Call hotel directly and explain your needs.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2011

The room size was ok. not enough tv channel.light switchs dirty.food su-ked.Went to work one morning came back to take a shower,my shampoo was missing.Thank god i brought shampoo from another motel i stayed at. I will stay at another motel when i come back in May,June Auguest,September

Room Tip: I like hampton but thy changed hands in lombard.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rcoldfeet
Reviewed 3 March 2011

The Rooms were clean, and the night staff and the morning staff made me feel like I was home!

Thank you!

Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove? Share your experiences!