“I had a very pleasant stay and will return”

Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The staff was polite and professional. The hotel and my room were very clean, and I'm pretty picky about that. I will be traveling in this area for business, so I'm glad my colleagues recommended this hotel.
TINY complaint: the shower diverter didn't divert all of the water, so the shower water pressure was low. Not even a big enough issue to report to staff.
The breakfast choices were mostly high in carbs, as are most free breakfasts at chain hotels, in case any readers need to know.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Katie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I encourage you to check out our new and improved breakfast with more healthy options! We look forward to seeing you again- happy travels!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We found a coupon in the Hotel coupon book and thought we would try the Holiday Inn Express in Downers Grove as it was near our meeting in the morning in the Chicago area. My business associated called after 3pm on 4/2 and got a person by the name of Andrea to make our reservation for 2 rooms on the first floor that are either adjoining or near each other. The reservation was fine until my business associate stated we had a coupon and Andrea no longer seemed to want any of our contact info or C/C info to make the reservation. Andrea quoted a room rate of 115.00 per night but our coupon was for 54.00 per night. Andrea stated she did not need our C/C number which seemed strange but stated she would hold the first floor 2 rooms as we requested. Around 6:30pm we called back again to tell Andrea that we would be arriving around 8:30 due to the fact we had to stop for fuel which pushed our arrival time back 30 minutes. Well Andrea assured my business associate that the 2rooms on the first floor were still on hold and that we were just fine.

We arrived at 8:30pm to check in and Andrea did not recall taking the phone calls or holding our rooms on the first floor. I asked nicely if there was anything available on the first floor due to the fact I have a back injury and my business associate is with a service dog due to health issues. NOPE nothing was available she stated. She booked our 2 rooms on the 3 floor. I asked about an elevator which she stated they had. I told her I have 2 very large cart loads of stuff to bring in which will not be good on my back. I was too exhausted to argue this one so I went to our van and told my business associate that we were on the third floor and that Andrea did not have our reservation. My business associate was very unhappy that we reached out to this hotel twice to confirm a reservation on the first floor and it was not honored. As I started to unload my cart from my van Andrea came out to help with a very tinny cart. I told her that will not hold what I need to bring in. The sad thing is my business associate did give her a piece of her mind. Between the two of us with disabilities hauling stuff up to the third floor is a task not to mention having to let a service dog out to the bathroom is also another challenge.

Andrea told my business associate that she could not recall speaking with her twice. We find that very had to believe as she was suffering from a major cold and sounded like Mr. Snuffles, you could not miss that voice anywhere as it was the sound of misery on the phone line. Andrea continued to claim that they never spoke. Finally Andrea stated she would see if she could move some things around. We unloaded and went past the desk and low and behold 2 rooms on the first floor miraculously appeared. She took back the keys to the 3rd floor and moved us down to the first floor. She was very nice once my business associate had to come unglued about the decision.

My business associated stated in the morning when she let her dog out at 5am that about 4-5 doors did not have newspapers in front of them which indicated that more rooms were open on the first floor.

Moral of the story is you are treated like second class people when you use a coupon and the manager on duty needs to polish up her memory skills.

The rest of the staff was very nice during the evening and during the morning. Hotel was nice. Loved the bed with Firm and Soft pillows labeled on it. That was nice to see.

Wish this hotel would get with the times and have a microwave and refrigerator in each room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Myra W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Myra W,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to note your positive feedback about our facilities, staff and comfortable bedding. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay in particular with your reservation. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our team members. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in. I hope this incident will not deter from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Your comments has been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I spent a night at this Holiday Inn Express and had a very good time. The people who worked there were all very friendly and helpful and the hotel is very nice and in excellent condition. The rooms are all in great condition, the breakfast was excellent and I just enjoyed everything there. The staff were so helpful to me, and I just honestly enjoyed this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be fine.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Katie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

I am so glad to see that everything went well with your stay and I appreciate you taking the time to complete a review. We hope to see you again soon and we will strive to earn a 5 from you! Happy Travels!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Much agreed with others who have commented on her.... Andrea Hartwick at the front desk is an absolute asset to the hotel. Friendly, knowledgable, and she goes the extra mile to ensure complete guest satisfaction.

Room itself was cozy and comfortable and surprisingly quiet even on a weekend stay. The best was nice and soft which allowed for a good night of sleep.

Locations puts you in the parking lot for Red Lobster and Fuddruckers. Every other store and restaurant imaginable is right nearby.

Overall, definitely a great stay! I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback! Andrea is super great and does a wonderful job of taking care of all of our guests. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you again soon!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel for its convenience & service. When my wife & I checked in on 12/31/13 to celebrate New Year's Eve, I asked Latrice at the front desk for an upgraded room. She was kind enough to give us a 1-bedroom suite for no additional charge. She also gave us a goody bag with treats & bottled water. In addition, she called later to make sure our room was satisfactory. This hotel is in a very active western suburb of Chicago & only a few blocks away from I-355. We ordered a take-out steak dinner from the Capital Grille which was only a few minutes' drive from the hotel. The next morning, a hot buffet breakfast of fresh juices, fluffy omelletes with cheese, smoked bacon, cooked oatmeal & other treats were waiting for us. It made our New Year's Eve getaway something worth remembering. Give it a try if you're visiting the Chicago area - you'll like it!

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a suite if available & a room away from the heavy traffic on Butterfield...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard P
Katie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for your review! I am so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. We strive to deliver a perfect experience for every guest and it is much appreciated that you have recognized our efforts! Thank You!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Andrea Hartwick is fantastic! She was the agent who checked us in. I do believe she is the friendliest person at any front desk that I have ever encountered. I have met nice people while traveling but she is by far the best. Wish more hotels had an Andrea!
Diane in breakfast also went above and beyond expectations. I am impressed with the guest service at this hotel. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: We had a decent view from our room. Wish we would have requested a fridge but it was a great stay.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review! Andrea certainly is awesome! We are so lucky to have her! And Diana too, she is great! Thank you for taking the time to recognize their hard work.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I ended up not staying the night here, but I thought I should post a review anyways. When I booked the room, I thought it had a pool. We went to our room (which was nice) and the kids all got dressed in swimsuits and goggles and ready to go swimming. We got to the lobby to ask the desk person where the pool was and she let us know there was no pool. The kids were crying and so disappointed. The desk person was so kind and helpful. She called our room and offered to arrange a stay at the Crowne Plaza and took care of all the details. She didn't want to saying anything in front of the kids so she did it through the phone call.

We travel a lot and I've stayed in a lot of hotels, but she was definitely one of the friendliest desk people I've ever met. It wasn't just what she did, but her attitude was so good that we talked about the whole way to the other hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Katie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback! While I am sorry to hear that we were unable to provide you with a pool, but I am happy to hear that our staff did such a great job! Thank you for sharing your feedback and happy travels!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove? Share your experiences!