This hotel used to be the the Radisson Suites hotel many years ago. At that time it was an amazing hotel. Top service, beautiful rooms, and everything was shiny new. But sadly this place has not been kept up and is slowly deteriorating. Each time I come back here I grow sadder at the state of this hotel.
The hot tub was out of service. To be fair, Doubletree was very clear about this on the website when we booked it. What was most disappointing was that apparently it's been out of service for many months. And there is no date in sight when it will be fixed. The pool elevator was also out of service during my stay. I'm pretty sure it was broken the last time I stayed here about a year ago too.
The decor of the hotel is very outdated. Dark interior. Old patterns. Tube style TVs with extremely poor reception and unexplainable channels. Probably 10 of the channels worked a small percentage of the time and the rest of the time were not watchable. The TVs had ghostly shadows on many of the other channels or lines across the top of the screen. Interestingly enough some of the reviews from early this year had replies from a manager claiming the hotel will be renovating their TVs in July/August 2011. Well it's December 31, 2011 and it obviously wasn't done.
Comfort of the room is average. The beds are small double beds and not very comfortable for a nights sleep. Rooms are large suite type rooms with a sofa sleeper/living area. But bathrooms are very small as mentioned by other reviewers. The room was well cleaned. And the maids noticed my son used his own blanket and pillow on his bed, so when they made up the room they made the bed using his linens instead of replacing them with the hotel linens. That was a nice touch and very observant.
Our room had a large picture window which was nice, but the entire wood surface beneath it was badly stained. So was the facade of the hotel on the outside. It looked in desperate need of a cleaning. There are dark moldy stains all down the building.
Hotel staff was very friendly. Everyone smiled and was very pleasant. While I didn't need anything additional I have little doubt they would have accommodated me if I had asked. The hotel seemed to be mostly vacant the whole week. Not sure if that's just the holidays or if people are starting to avoid the hotel.
I sure hope they start putting some effort into this hotel. It would be sad to see the place where we had my wedding reception some 20 years ago fall into oblivion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago-Downers Grove is situated in Chicago's western suburbs next to Lombard and Oakbrook, Illinois. Centrally located between Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) and Chicago Midway (MDW) the Doubletree Suites Downers Grove is the perfect choice for business meetings. Offering an International Association of Conference Center (IACC) approved meeting facility, our comfortable surroundings and exceptional catering team provide the ultimate environment for any business or social occasion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Guest Suites & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove Hotel
- Doubletree Guest Suites And Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
- Doubletree Downers Grove
- Doubletree Chicago Downer Grove