“Sliding downhill from lack of maintenance”

Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Minnesota
“Sliding downhill from lack of maintenance”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This hotel used to be the the Radisson Suites hotel many years ago. At that time it was an amazing hotel. Top service, beautiful rooms, and everything was shiny new. But sadly this place has not been kept up and is slowly deteriorating. Each time I come back here I grow sadder at the state of this hotel.

The hot tub was out of service. To be fair, Doubletree was very clear about this on the website when we booked it. What was most disappointing was that apparently it's been out of service for many months. And there is no date in sight when it will be fixed. The pool elevator was also out of service during my stay. I'm pretty sure it was broken the last time I stayed here about a year ago too.

The decor of the hotel is very outdated. Dark interior. Old patterns. Tube style TVs with extremely poor reception and unexplainable channels. Probably 10 of the channels worked a small percentage of the time and the rest of the time were not watchable. The TVs had ghostly shadows on many of the other channels or lines across the top of the screen. Interestingly enough some of the reviews from early this year had replies from a manager claiming the hotel will be renovating their TVs in July/August 2011. Well it's December 31, 2011 and it obviously wasn't done.

Comfort of the room is average. The beds are small double beds and not very comfortable for a nights sleep. Rooms are large suite type rooms with a sofa sleeper/living area. But bathrooms are very small as mentioned by other reviewers. The room was well cleaned. And the maids noticed my son used his own blanket and pillow on his bed, so when they made up the room they made the bed using his linens instead of replacing them with the hotel linens. That was a nice touch and very observant.

Our room had a large picture window which was nice, but the entire wood surface beneath it was badly stained. So was the facade of the hotel on the outside. It looked in desperate need of a cleaning. There are dark moldy stains all down the building.

Hotel staff was very friendly. Everyone smiled and was very pleasant. While I didn't need anything additional I have little doubt they would have accommodated me if I had asked. The hotel seemed to be mostly vacant the whole week. Not sure if that's just the holidays or if people are starting to avoid the hotel.

I sure hope they start putting some effort into this hotel. It would be sad to see the place where we had my wedding reception some 20 years ago fall into oblivion.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
dtechman, Director of Sales at Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. The hotel has begun its renovation at the end of December 2011 and ALL of the issues you mention are being addressed during this work. We are spending several million dollars to replace the TV's, upgrade the channels and picture to hi-def, clean the outside of the building, and many other improvements too numerous to mention! Some of this work was delayed due to items coming from the manufacturer being delayed but I can assure you we will be better than every when all is done!

The hotel was slow (as were all the hotels in the area) the week you stayed with us. 2011 was a very strong year for the hotel and 2012 is expected to be even better so there is nothing "down hill" about our businss levels, rest assured!

We hope you will return when the work is completed and we look forward to hearing about your future stays!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Michigan
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We chose the Doubletree based on a previous experience at one and the warm cookies. This hotel was nicely located to the areas we were visiting. The room was clean and comfortable. The suite was large but the bathroom was tiny. I've seen larger bathrooms in tiny rooms in the city. The tub was small and shallow and the shower was low. We are about 5ft 6 in. and we were taller than the shower head. I kept waking up in the middle of the night because the heat/fan was noisy. This Doubletree was nothing like the other we stayed in. It was nice enough, but for the money I will probably look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Needed a last minute place to stay and many of the hotels in the area were booked however I found a room at the Double Tree. Turned out to be a great find. Guest Suites are very large, set up much like a Embassy Suites hotel. The bed was very comfortable and the place had a nice look. Had a meeting in the morning and there was plenty of room in the hotel to find a place to sit and talk. I didn't get a chance to eat however the restaurant look nice. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 November 2011

As someone else noted, this was probably a high end place - 20 years ago. It's clean, but there's only so much you can do with old and worn. The size was good. I had a king-bed suite, which included a couch & chair with coffee table in the "living room", with a large desk. There's also a small refrigerator & microwave, along with a small bar sink. The bathroom is functional, if small, although the lighting is very good and there's plenty of mirrors. The closet door was difficult to open and close. It would eventually, it just needed to be oiled (again, functional, but a little worn).

The bedroom had a very nice-sized dresser with plenty of drawer space and there was also a small desk and chair in the bedroom. The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. Even though there are only windows in the bedroom, there's plenty of light and, unlike a lot of hotels, there are plenty of outlets for chargers, computers, etc.

The TV was problematic, as others have mentioned. There's one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They were very small, although that probably wouldn't have been a problem if the channel options hadn't been so odd. There was no TBS/TNT/HGTV/Nick/TV Land or anything like that, but there was Word Network (a ministry/gospel music channel), RT (apparently, an English-language news channel from a Russian perspective???), and NHK World (a Japanese station). Just...odd. I don't know what the internet prices are (as a Hilton Diamond member, I get internet access for free), but I believe that there is a charge. The access worked the entire time, although, like most hotels, it is not fast enough for any kind of movie streaming service, which is an added problem when combined with the lack of TV channel options.

The prices were good and the staff was accommodating, but they really need to upgrade. Everything is functional and nothing is actively broken or anything at all. It's not a bad place and I would probably stay there again, but there's a lot of options in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Champaign, IL
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I recently stayed 2 nights at the DoubleTree in Downers Grove for a work event.

Room: Our room had a king-size bed. There was a sitting room separate from the sleeping area with a door between the two--FANTASTIC for us because we were traveling with a toddler and he could be sleeping with the door shut while we watched TV. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the pillows weren't too mushy (awesome!) Plus, there were plenty of pillows on the bed. We love the showers at DoubleTrees, I believe they have SpeakMan shower heads...fantastic :) The bathroom was a little small, but that wasn't a huge deal. Oh, and I was disappointed that they didn't have the full-size hair dryers that the last DoubleTree had. It really would have been a nice touch.

Cleanliness: Although it has been mentioned that this hotel feels a little dated, our room was very clean. Since we were traveling with a toddler, I was down on the floor playing with him and would say this DoubleTree was cleaner than the previous one we stayed at (no need to pick up random RX PILLS off the floor to keep them away from my son.)

Location: The hotel is back off Butterfield Road. With the configuration of the area, it's a bit difficult to tell where you need to turn in in order to get to the hotel instead of the business area next to it.

My one complaint: I asked at the front desk if we could get a late check out so that my husband and son could stay in the room a little longer while I was at my work event. The person at the desk told me they were full the next night and needed all of the rooms so I wouldn't be able to get the late check out. The next morning, as I was checking out, the person at the desk was telling another guest that they were only at 63% capacity that night and had PLENTY of rooms available. Are they just anti-late check out?

All-in-all, a good stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This hotel was nice, well kept, and had friendly staff, but for the price I paid, I would expect nothing less. I liked that they gave out complementary cookies upon check-in. The room was spacious and the bed was nice, but the bathroom and shower seemed very small. My only complaint would have to be the "complementary shuttle." The website clearly says that a complementary shuttle is available to within 5 miles of the hotel. I was staying at this hotel to attend a friend's wedding. The reception was at the Morton Arboretum, a whole 3 miles away. I was told that the shuttle was on a first come first serve bases when I made the room reservation, so when I checked in I asked about the shuttle for myself and some other friends. I was told the shuttle was busy taking guests to a different reception. And they offered to call a cab for us, however, they managed to mess that up. The taxi was late, not big enough to fit the number of people I said that we had, and didn't even know how to get to the place we were going. Oh, and there was clearly another hotel shuttle sitting empty in the parking lot throughout this ordeal. I wish the hotel would had taken more charge of getting us a good, reliable ride or just not offer complimentary shuttle service at all. Overall, it was a nice place to stay, but the service could have been a little better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kboirum
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 19 October 2011

This Doubletree was clean and neat and used to be upscale I'd say 20 years ago, but it just was not worth the money. I'm Hilton Diamond and unfortunately this is the second Doubletree just this week I stayed at that was dated and overpriced. I supposed the location lets them get away with the rate but the hotel needs brought up to date. Tube type TV's and I could not find one single parking spot on the entire property. This property gets an "Average" rating - and for Doubletree standards I would say "Below Average".

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
dtechman, Director of Sales at Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Thank you for the feedback, we really do appreciate hearing from our guests. Those darn tube TV's do date us and I am happy to say they are getting replaced ! I wish Look for many improvements in the new year for us! We hope you will check us out again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downers Grove
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Lombard Oak Brook
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace

Been to Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove

Property: Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Address: 2111 Butterfield Rd, Downers Grove, IL 60515-1043
Region: United States > Illinois > DuPage County > Downers Grove
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove 3.5*
The Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago-Downers Grove is situated in Chicago's western suburbs next to Lombard and Oakbrook, Illinois. Centrally located between Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) and Chicago Midway (MDW) the Doubletree Suites Downers Grove is the perfect choice for business meetings. Offering an International Association of Conference Center (IACC) approved meeting facility, our comfortable surroundings and exceptional catering team provide the ultimate environment for any business or social occasion. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree Guest Suites & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove Hotel