“Good value but don't expect much”

Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Midwest USA
“Good value but don't expect much”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I booked Red Roof largely due to the glowing reviews here - it was ranked the #1 hotel in Downers Grove. This is a budget hotel. It delivers on that very well but if you're looking for amenities then move on.

I decided to splurge and get the Superior King room. The room was clean, no sign of insects. The bed was saggy and the bedspread worn. Instead of a small bottle of shampoo you get a little packet, which I used on the first day but was not replaced. The Superior King Room includes a coffee maker, again the coffee packets and Styrofoam cups were not replaced daily after I used them. The TV was the old tube type which was fine.

Although it sits near a very busy street I was impressed how quiet it was. This is an old-style two story motel with outside entrance doors for each room, so you do hear cars in the parking lot, people talking outside, etc. They do have free coffee but you have to walk outdoors to the lobby to get it, not a big deal unless weather is inclement.

Others have noted the friendly staff. The night clerk was not particularly friendly, the day clerk was extremely friendly and helpful.

Overall this is a solid hotel if you are looking for a low cost place to crash. If you're looking for anything more than the basics I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank GoatWhacker
i0087, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove, responded to this review, 3 April 2012

Feedback from our guests is very important in continuing to improve the quality of our hotel and I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of the team.

Thanks again for being our guest and for sharing your experience! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Aaron Ebert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 2 October 2011

The staff at red roof inn were very very good to me and my wife and my dogs. I have bin in a lot of hotel's and this one is the best i've ever stayed in. I will conitune to stay there any time I need a place to stay. The service was great. The staff was very friendly and polite to me and my wife and dogs. The inn was very clean inside and out. The room's were very clean. When ever I ask a qeustion about anything they were very quick to responed to me. What I like to was if they did not know the right ansewer they said I need to ask another employee to help them get the right ansewer. They were verysmart about the surounding area for place's to eat and place's to go two have a fun time.

Room Tip: any room in the inn is very good.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Joe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Downers Grove Red Roof Inn. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Booked this room for a 5 day stay to visit in the area. Booked on the Red Roof Inn website and that is how you get the best deal. They have a September special discount for those over 50. I had booked a non-smoking room. Upon arrival the front desk person was very nice and I had her confirm that my room was non-smoking. Upon checking out the room unfortunately the bathroom toilet had several cigarette butts in it and one pillowcase had ashes on it. So, I went to the front desk and she was very helpful and gave me a key to check out another room before moving my stuff. The new room was very clean and had good lighting for reading by the bed and at the sink for makeup, etc. It was nice to have free Wi-Fi here. Also, I had brought a cooler and used the ice machine every day and it always had plenty of ice in it. They also have a food order-in menu for the area which had many choices but I didn't use it this trip. For those with pets they can stay overnight for free but you can't leave them in the room unattended. The lobby has good coffee in the morning and for members of their club free daily newspapers. The staff was very nice and helpful. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is visiting the area and needs a clean, good-sized room in a safe location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MN_Travel_Bug_1
Dear MN Travel Bug,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Downers Grove Red Roof Inn. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Saint Ann, Missouri
Reviewed 27 August 2011

The room was clean, comfortable and VERY QUIET. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is fairly central in the Chicago metropolitan area and seemed to be fairly safe. There are lots of restaurants and shopping close by. I was so pleased with everything!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolyn B
Dear Carolyn,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Downers Grove Red Roof Inn. We are glad to hear that you got a great night of sleep!

Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 8 August 2011

From the excellent front staff (Jason, Justin, Chris, Clarabelle & Kyle) to the amazing housekeepers (Erica & Keyva) and not to forget maintenance (Alberto) as they all make your stay fabulous. These people put their hearts and souls into their jobs and really care about the guests. I would stay here again and again.

In my opinion they should be a five star hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dpollak148
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us at the Downers Grove Red Roof Inn.

chicago
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I have stayed at many hotels and even at 5star hotels I have never felt more welcome or as comfortible as I have at the red roof inn. The hotel staff from upper manegment down to regular employees were great. This has to be the nicest and most down to earth group I have ever delt with. Their customer service is bar none! Whenever I needed something hotel staff's erika, keyva, along with jason and cathy were there to help and they helped with a smile. I appreciate all of there help and I will definetly be here again thank you!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Recently stayed at the hotel for business. Read prior reviews which rated it favorably, but traveling from out of state, not sure what to expect. Room was clean. Air conditioning worked well. Sink and bath tub drained well, no back-up. Linens were clean. What not to expect: no fridge in room and no continental breakfast in the morning, just coffee. However, you cannot beat the price! One other issue to contend with is my computer was receiving a low frequency for internet connection. There are two builidings to the property and I was in the second building which might explain the low frequency. The area surrounding the property is in a retail area. There is an Olive Garden down the street and easily accessible to the interstate.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lombard - Yorktown Center

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove? Share your experiences!