“Never again”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
CAHOKIA
“Never again”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I travel often and have never had an experience such as this weekend (March 14-16, 2014). I reserved 3 rooms for a girls' getaway to visit the areas of Chicago. Upon check in, the night attendant was very unprofessional and unconcerned. When we returned to our rooms after shopping on Saturday afternoon, our room keys had been deactivated! The same rude attendant was there again and I was told that she thought we were only staying for one (1) night. How is that when our reservations clearly states two (2) nights! She reactivates our room keys as if we were bothering her... really? Then we asked for microwave/fridge... was told "what you see, is what you get"...next ask for ironing board and was told "use the one your other friends just got, because we have no more".... wow! Housekeepers did not clean our rooms.... all I can say is "Never again"....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LASHONDA W
John D, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hello LASHONDA W

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at our property. And thank you for taking the time to speak with me over the phone prior to posting this review. During that conversation, it was discovered that there was a room type listed on our website that incorrectly showed microwaves and mini fridges (Deluxe Double), which is not available at this particular location. This has since been corrected to avoid any confusion moving forward.
Additionally, we have had several one-on-one meetings to improve our guest experience and service standards. It is our intention to provide a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all of our guests. It is my hope that you will continue to keep the Red Roof Inn brand in mind during your future travels, as we are always making strides to improve our guest satisfaction.
Thank you, again. And have a great day.

i0087@redroof.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Osawatomie, Kansas
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We chose this hotel based on location, price and the reviews we saw at the time. The price was great for Chicago. However the bathroom and one of the beds (2 full beds) were not clean. My husband noticed and reported it to the front desk. They were quick to amend the situation, still a bit of a turn off. It is an outside entrance hotel and we visited in January when it snowed over 12". The new remodel was very nice but with the aforementioned snow, hardwood floors (1 rug between beds and 1 at door) made for wet floors. Also I did not think through how narrow a full bed is to share with a child. Usually we have a kid sleep on the floor, but with only a rug, it was pretty hard, even for a child. So for our situation, it was not stellar. The remodeling is very nice and beds comfortable enough. I would not stay there again as a family, but not a bad pick for 1 or 2 kids or none.

Room Tip: All outside entrance rooms, there is an overhang, but still snow blew in everywhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
John D, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Good afternoon, 2plusthecrew

Thank you so very much for your feedback. We have had an amazing amount of snow this season, and as you've mentioned, at times it can be difficult to keep on top of the accumulation. I will be sure to share your comments with the team, as we are able to learn a great deal from guest communication. I will also work with the housekeeping team to ensure that we continue to provide the cleanest rooms possible.

Thank you again!

Addison, Illinois
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Horrible. Ghetto. Toilet was messed up upon entering room. Della is rude (it is not my fault you are busy, I can wait until it is my turn but when it is my turn, attend to me properly.) Brian lied to me about there being absolutley no first floor units. He said I may have requested first floor, but they do NOT save rooms or make guarantees even with it being winter and me having small children. I know this is done in Naperville, also, they save the first floor for special guests. They say old people, but they have handicapped rooms for Seniors, they really save it for corporate guests, etc, as if their money is any different than mine. I walked around the property and within five minutes saw not one but EIGHT empty first floor units. You can tell because the drapes are open and the room is spotless. (Naperville closes their drapes to fool you now). Brian was stammering when I told him about this, saying they were "saved for someone who made reservations." Did he not just say that rooms can never be saved? So he is contradicting himself. Besides, who saves eight two bed units on the first floor? Ridiculous. He 'called his manager' after I dragged all my kids in from the snow and said I wasn't leaving until I got a first floor unit. Then he gave me one, with a nearly non-existent heating system. I have one set of towels in here and need more but Heaven forbid I should bother the front desk. I walked down there twice already to address my heating situation and it is below zero and snowing, and I am the last unit in the second building. Such a frustrating hassle, never coming here again. I am sure I will have more to write by the time I check out, but I think I have said enough.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank April05080911
Good afternoon, April05080911

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your most recent stay here at the Downers Grove location. We did have several first floor rooms clean and vacant during the time of your stay, but I had instructed my staff not to rent those rooms due to the extremely cold climate conditions. My apologies for your experience. As you outlined in your comments, this was not a typical experience of yours at our Red Roof Inn locations. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of the staff, as well.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I like the renovations photos we saw online. We arrived and the first room we went to the bed was covered with someone else's hair. The night manager was nice enough to give us another room. Same problem, it was spittle disappointing. Third room was about bette, Thank God because we were tired. I probably will not stay again. Want to thank the gentleman on night audit he was very helpful.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank 55artistic1
John D, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Good evening, 55artistic1

Thank you for submitting your review regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the concerns reported regarding hair in the guest rooms. This is most definitely not typical, and I am thankful to you for bringing it to my attention. I will be meeting with the entire staff to reiterate the company standards, and my expectations, to avoid this from happening again. Our entire staff, including the Night Auditor you referenced, are all dedicated to providing the most comfortable and enjoyable stay possible.

We hope to see you, again, at a Red Roof in the near future.
Thank you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

The room was laid-out ok however the noise wouldn't stop. Our neighbors next door was so loud it sounded like they were directly outside the room. The room was so cold and it took the heat forever to come on; remind you it's winter in Chicago. Every time the heater came on it made a loud noise which made it impossible to sleep. The bathroom is so small you can't fit anything in it. The shower also made an unusual noise. The room was clean however made so many noises whereas we couldn't sleep.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MissFrequentFlyer
Good afternoon, MissFrequentFlyer

I would like to extend a sincere apology for the noise you experienced during your stay with us, as well as a heart-felt thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. I will be sure to share your comments with the Front Desk staff so that we can increase the frequency of property walks throughout the afternoon and evening shifts to detour any lingering guests or visitors that might disturb others. In regards to the bathroom size; there are a handful of rooms that have smaller vanity and bath areas due to the design of the building. I recommend taking advantage of our Superior King room types. They are more spacious, by design, and include a variety of added amenities, such as: hair dryers, iron and ironing boards, microfridges, larger flat screen TVs, and ample desk space.

Thank you, again! And have a great day!

Indian Harbour, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is a great motel! Usually we try to get through the Chicago area as fast as possible, but we'll be stopping here from now on. Beautiful, comfortable room. Easy to get to with restaurants and shopping nearby. Appreciate being able to drive up to the door of our room to carry luggage and our little dog in and out of our room. The staff are pleasant and very helpful. We discovered it through the turnpike coupon book and so glad we did!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cherien
John D, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Hello, Cherien

It was so nice to read your review of our Red Roof Inn property. It's always exciting to hear about the guest experience, especially when it's your first time staying with us. I can't wait for you to see our property in the summer time when all of the flowers and trees are in bloom. And you are quite right; we are located in close proximity to pretty much every major shopping retailer you can imagine. See you soon!

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here 3 times in the last year and have seen the remodel that they have been doing and it looks good and is nice place to stay. Close to the Patio Which has great food. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Close to my sons school also ( UTI ).

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Chrisl62
Good afternoon, Chrisl62

Thank you for your kind review of our lovely hotel. We are all very proud of this location and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. As you have noticed, we are always making improvements at Red Roof Inn. This week, we have begun installing brand new door locks to all of our guest rooms, which will make your stay even more enjoyable. Take care, and happy holidays to you and yours!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
SureStay Plus Hotel Chicago Lombard
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lombard - Oakbrook

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove? Share your experiences!