“The staff and the location were the best part”

Komune Resort, Keramas Beach Bali
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Keramas
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent a week here for the second half of our honeymoon. We were immediately blown away by the location - bar/restaurant, pool and daybeds right in front of a very consistent world class wave.

The staff were some of the friendliest people we had met, Gustu was a great help with our room and very quick to help. Bar staff Gung, Arianti, Wayan, Viktor, Ega and Dewa -all made us feel at home for food and drinks. Ida Bagus was a great help finding surf spots and teaching us about Balinese culture. There were more great people but unfortunately I'm not very good at remembering names.

The waves were a bit crowded and often with a bad atmosphere when big groups hassle for waves, so I spent most of my time surfing not far from Keramas in great waves and very few people. The prices were a little higher than I expected, without local options to walk to for food etc. These were my only reservations.

I will miss the Balinese staff most out of all :) Sook Sima!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I write this review as a customer service manager for a large telecommunications company in the UK. I am still at Komune as I write this after deciding to stay another night and it is a wonderful place. The location is both great but also gives komune more or less complete monopoly of the area maybe this will change in future when what is currently a building site up the road opens. The waves are good although completely packed with Japanese who pay locals for "tours" basically they block waves and heckle everybody else, such a shame as everyone else seems to get along when that crowds not in the water! The waves themselves are great you have to be up pretty early as the wind switches around 11-12. I surf the wife does not but she very much enjoyed the beach club as did I after a surf. The food is amazing although a little pricey but you do have warung options nearby that are cheaper. They play music during the day from around midday and sometimes a live DJ with some classic easy listening songs. One thing that really has wound me up is that you cannot get large bottles of water here (or at the warungs) they do provide a 70cl glass bottle in the room that is refilled daily but otherwise it's 25000rp for a small bottle at the beach club. As someone who likes to stay hydrated and usually drinks 4 litres a day at home let alone in this heat it is costing about £20 in water a day here between me and my wife. I think it would be a wise move to stock large bottled water and sell them at a normal rate, in Uluwatu a large 1.5 litre bottle is about 8-9000. Provide somewhere for the waste and recycle you still stay green Komune. The rooms are nice, we did not notice the noise from other rooms mentioned in other reviews. The staff are friendly throughout especially the beach club staff who speak better English and are obviously the money makers. Although I'm not taking anything from the house staff who all give a smile and hello. The room was cleaned daily new towels etc and to a good standard. The owners/managers Wayne and Tony are very approachable and appear very eager to please and have done so with us. They have a great ethos of being right in the mix of it and I like that in hospitality management. They have a spa and we wanted a massage but it's fully booked today so we will have to give it a miss until next time unfortunately so cannot review that. To sum up, its pricey but not too bad, if you like to stay hydrated bring lots of water with you so you can spend more money on the satay wraps, or a steak in the evening. The club sandwich is awesome!! Although don't expect to look dignified eating it, but who cares!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magicseai
komuneresort, Owner at Komune Resort, Keramas Beach Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Gday Digz - was great having you and your gal at Komune Bali!

Thanks for your nice feedback and in particular the valid points made on our water.

At Komune we try as best we can to avoid plastic bottles and packaging as this contributes to the plastic often seen in Bali's waterways. Our hope is that if everyone jumps on board and rejects plastic packaging in Bali we will all contribute to help Bali's waterways and oceans.

Sure we can send our waste to a recycling plant but the root of the problem is the packaging in the first place in countries ill-equipped to process plastic waste.

As such we provide free water at our bar in a large ice filled dispenser and offer our guests stainless steel drink bottles to purchase if they don't want to buy our glass bottled water.

We will endeavour to make it clear to our customers that they can use the water at the bar (just behind the cashier area) so they have the choice.

Sorry this diminished your experience Digz but we hope the rest of your stay at Komune Bali was a good one!

Cheers Tony Cannon (Owner)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I loved this hotel the moment I arrived. The solar panels already won may points with me.

The landscaping is amazing, you feel in so much contact with nature. You can feel the love and time the owners took in making this an amazing hotel.

Staff were friendly, the food was delicious.

The rooms are very confortable and everything has been thought through.

I had massage, yoga class, lunch by the pool, dinner, breakfast, drinks by the pool...

Had the best time and LOVED the hotel.

Well done to the owners.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Thought Komune was excellent and will be back. Being a surfer that has surfed Keramas many times before the resort was built. I was sceptical on crowds.
Although busier than the old days I stayed with my family and a friend, and my 3 kids loved it and my 11 year old daughter surfed 6 hours a day.

Accomodation and cleanliness was great
Massage was great
My wife and I rated the food 7/10 by Bali standards, which is an 9/10 in Aus.

I thought all the staff have been selected very well, and I am an experienced bali person that can bisa becara bahasa sedikit.
Dewah is exceptional and incredibly nice guy. If I had a business in Bali I would be poaching him.

Maybe some info on other local surf breaks and a guide offering trips would be good.

Needless to say, 4 days was not long enough, myself and my family will be back for a week next time. I have even recomended it to a friend from the Gold Coast, who leaves for Bali this Tuesday and is going straight to Komune, and he has never been to Keramas

Room Tip: Smile and be nice, amazing where it gets you
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2014

see my title ? i love this bar so much.
i want to keep komune as a little secret,but i must write this review.I don't know what a down side of this place,everything is great : view,drinks ( i tried watermelon,you must try that ),staff very helpfull.Maybe location is too far if you stay on Kuta or Seminyak area,but if you have good ridding skill you can catch up this location just 45 min from airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed at Komune 6 nights. The hotel has very nice and clean hotelroms. Thanks, Gusto for very good service:-) The staff was very kind and serviceminded. I had 1 meal that was not so good, but they fixed that very quickly and gave me a free dessert. Thanks to Agus for good service also at the Beachclub.
The hotel has a ATM and that is a plus. And They arrange a driver for you, that can take you whereever you want. If you are at Bali for the first time, ask the driver for advice for what to see. Thanks Ida for making my stay in Bali so memorable:-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Can't ask for more if you want a step up from backpacking, homestays and standard Indo B&Bs. Location is right above the paddle out to Keramas, the pool and restaurant (with great bar of course) are excellent (be prepared to pay Western prices on most of the meals, but you definitely are getting what you pay for) and the staff is second to none. From extremely friendly and helpful manager Wayne to the knowledgeable surf guide Adi and the excellent masseuse Karianthi, plus of course warm greetings from everyone you pass in the resort, the people on hand can not be faulted, with almost everyone speaking English very well too.

Plus if the surf right out front is overrun by crowds, the team at Komune can point you to a few other little gems that not everyone else knows about, whether it's a quick walk up or down the beach, or a well-priced and air conditioned van or minibus drive away.

There's also plenty to suit the surf widow while you're out getting a few, so Komune as a couple's stay is a perfect option.

This is an excellent step up stay if you want Western comforts, quality and service, but aren't looking to stay in the 5-star monstrosities that can be found elsewhere in Bali.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keramas
Rumah Luwih Beach Resort and Spa
Sofitel Bali Nusa Dua Beach Resort
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 20 in Candidasa

Been to Komune Resort, Keramas Beach Bali? Share your experiences!