“Overnight Stay - Excellent (Again)”
Review of Hatherley Manor

Hatherley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Down Hatherley
Manchester
“Overnight Stay - Excellent (Again)”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night on 19th March, room 208, this was our third visit to HM and as expected the standards have remained very high. A professional welcome and check in, room was spotless, beautiful view from our room over the rear of the hotel, the bar staff were attentive and happy to chat. Our evening meal was superb my recommendation is for the Chef to enter Master Chef.......he/she would win hands down. It was beautifully presented, we had three courses, each one was faultless. Breakfast was busy however our cooked breakfast came without delay, lots of choice at the buffet bar if you didnt want he 'Full English'. The hotel is in the process of being redecorated but with the minimum of disruption to guests. Another great visit and we will be back for more in the future !!!!

1 Thank Tinkertoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed recently as in town for Cheltenham festival. Room was very tired and in need of complete refurbishment. Friends were staying in adjacent room which was modern and well appointed, so felt we had been overcharged by paying the same amount for very inferior room. Because of the festival room price was over the top and it was 15mins drive from town. Breakfast was very good however.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank jdavies2001
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed here for our first weekend away, we found the hotel to be very beautiful and so much better than we expected. The staff were friendly and helpful , the room was very nice just a bit dusty is our only complaint. We had champagne on arrival which was very nice and a 3 course A la carte meal which was amazing, nicest food we have ever eaten. the hotel was situated on lovely country grounds and was easy access into Gloucester town and Cheltenham. The bed was very comfortable and breakfast was also very nice.All we wish was that we had booked for two nights because we really didnt want to leave, and we will definitely be going back again.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here in March for a wedding anniversary and had a fantastic time. Lovely hotel, very nice food. What impressed us most was the staff - in the four days we were there, every single member of staff we interacted with was courteous, helpful and friendly - nothing was too much trouble for them to make our stay a pleasant one. It really made us feel looked after.

It is perhaps worth noting that there are lots of crows nesting outside which make a bit of a racket when you're outside the hotel, but they aren't really noticeable inside (and we were in one of the rooms of the front, nearest them) and they all went quiet at sunset.

All in all, I'd recommend this hotel without hesitation - the best experience I've had!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My boyfriend and I spent valentines day here and were incredibly excited for our romantic getaway. However, the surly receptionist who "welcomed" us to the hotel set things off to a bad start and after paying extra for a room upgrade, we were still pretty disappointed with the quality of the bathroom in particular which seemed old and well used. I like staying in older hotels so I don't mind a bit of paint chipping off or cracks in the walls but this just looked tired and rundown everywhere except the restaurant. We waited 40 minutes for the complimentary prosecco she told us she would have sent to our room, but after this time, gave up and took ourselves out for the afternoon for lunch. On our return, a warm bottle was waiting for us.

That night we dressed up for the occasion as we thought we'd make the effort for valentines day and I was upset by comments I overheard made about myself by the staff in the bar. I think this is incredibly unprofessional and seeing as I wore a simple black dress, all judgement's about me thinking I was somewhere "posh" were totally unnecessary. By this time, I was fully aware turning up to dinner in jeans would be fine but it was Valentines day and we both wanted to look nice for the other. At least have the decency to make comments when I am out of earshot!

Additionally, the food was horrendous, they hadn't any steak left despite the hotel being pretty empty. My "Mediterranean" vegetable risotto consisted of reheated rice and peas with two spouts, some green beans, carrots and asparagus plonked on top...please tell me where the Mediterranean comes in to that?! It was left over Christmas dinner vegetables! The chicken curry they brought out as a replacement was no better and looked and tasted just like a Weatherspoons ready-meal. My partner ordered a beer and the barrel was off so it tasted and smelt of egg. On top of all of this, the Creme Brulee came out freezing cold, showing the kitchen staff at this hotel quite simply have no clue how to even pretend they have made these dishes up fresh. The only saving grace was a very attentive waitress who knew our complaints before I even had to open my mouth and did all she could to apologise when we did complain and give appreciative smiles when we kept our mouths shut. Also, David, a very sweet assistant manager did all he could and seemed genuinely embarrassed by our experience offered up a glass of bubbly as a gesture of goodwill and told me the main manager would be in touch when he was next in and informed of our experience. This was now three weeks ago and I feel I have waited long enough.

If you do stay here, go with low expectations and whatever you do, eat in the nearby town!!

Room Tip: My tip, look elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KateH87
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife and I came away for the weekend ,and stayed for One night.the room although not to large was well equipped and very clean.the staff in the restaurant were young but very attentive and professional .The food was of a excellent quality an there was no wait between courses all the staff were very pleasant ant curitious. Not a cheap hotel but well worth the little extra for the quality you get.would come back again.

Lancashire
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Visited for just the one night on an all-inclusive "dealcloud" offer. Never having utilised one of these inclusive offers before, I was a little sceptical - but had no need to be. Great welcome at reception, room was ready despite checking in at 1.pm. Also booked a table in the restaurant for 7.30.pm. Our Room was nice and comfortable although none to large but the bathroom (my wife's usual area of concern and always first to be inspected) was pristine.

A nice walk around the grounds and time for afternoon tea - excellent, served in the bar area in comfortable arm chairs.

Went into the dining room on the dot of 7.30.pm nice welcome shown to a nicely laid out table and menus presented along with a wine list. Orders taken and drinks delivered, the dining room certainly wasn't full but quite a few people dining, but we had no wait for our food. I was very pleasantly surprised at the starters, excellent food and well presented. The mains - roasted belly pork for him and roast duck for her, was superb with a varied selection of perfectly cooked vegetables.

Whilst the hotel was in the throes of partial refurbishment, we noticed very little impact on our stay or our comfort. All in all a very nice experience at the Hatherley Manor Hotel and well worth the visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Down Hatherley
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#11 of 21 in Gloucester
Stonehouse Court
Stonehouse Court
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse

Been to Hatherley Manor? Share your experiences!