“Hatherley Manor Hotel - Not Impressed”
Review of Hatherley Manor

Hatherley Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Down Hatherley
“Hatherley Manor Hotel - Not Impressed”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived late afternoon. Check In Prompt but Information on Services for 2 Nights Stay very poor! No Communication on Times of Breakfast let alone inform that there was Tea/Coffee Facilities set up in your Room. No Offer of helping with Cases (esp when they knew we were part of a Wedding Party, next day Wedding!)
The Executive Room given was small with single beds for Husband/Wife! However did swop with our 2 Daughters! Moved into 2nd Executive Room to Horror that the Room stank of Damp Water. Bath Robes been washed & tumble dried so many times they were rough and in parts worn thin!
Reception Staff could not offer anything except Sorry! Duty Mgr offered a Standard Room which in turn, turned out to be the same size as Executive Room with same Facilities with Single Beds. Could not see any difference. However did offer to charge at Standard Rate!!
Duty Mgr, Suddenly offered us a Superior Room but away from our Daughters on a different floor. This room was an improvement. But again sadly lacked information where Tea/Coffee Facilities let alone hunt for the TV! Dressing Gowns certainly lacked comfort. Even curtains lacked colour! At least the room didn't stink!
Evening Meal: Poor Quality. Ordered Tiger Prawns for Starters. Received 5 tiny prawns you would put in a Prawn Cocktail. Steak for Main Dinner - Non Available. Asked for Salmon - Non Available. 3rd attempt Chicken wrapped in Parma Ham, very tasted. Sadly the Dauphinois Potatoes tasted like they had been microwaved and turned to rubber! Dessert - We give Full Credit to the Dessert Pastry Chef!
Next Day - Breakfast. Good Selection. Would not recommend the Cooked Sausages. Appalling Taste!
Wedding: The Staff worked tirelessly to ensure all foods were served promptly. Sadly Hatherley Manor forgot to inform the Chef there was a Celiac attending the Reception! Even though I personally inform Hotel myself 2 weeks prior!
Would My Husband and I stay at Hatherley Manor Hotel again... No is the answer. Over price for very little service and information.
Bitterly Disappointed!

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Toni M
generalmanager_HMH, General Manager at Hatherley Manor, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Toni M

Thank you for your review we seem to be on a run of not so good reviews recently these I can assure you are not indicative of us as a hotel or a team as we work tirelessly to try to give guests a memorable and enjoyable guest experience,
I have mention recently that reception has undergone a few changes recently and we are working hard to build their Knowledge of the hotel though they have the basics it the little extra touches that count and the experience to identify exactly how much information each guests needs it does vary greatly from the guests who justs wants to get to his room to the ones that wish to know all the intracies of the menu or the history of the building,
In relation to your room reception passed on your comments to our duty manager Ivo whom dealt with you promptly and gave you an upgrade to room 234 which is a fantastic room bigger than some peoples apartments, guest information is in the guest information folder on the dresser and tea and coffee is beatifully hidden in the Cafe Du Monde boxes along with a Cafetierre for brewing fresh coffee in the only dresser in the room , above this you can reveal the tv by opening up the top doors which then slide back into the unit ( you can see this in action in the traveller Photo by Leigh-harrington )
We also note your comments in relation to the food these will be shared with our kitchen team to see if we can make any alterations to enhance other guests experience.In regards to the celiac information I will contact you directly by email to clarify exactly what has happened here, we are normally very strong in these areas offering a very good selection as all food is prepared on site .

Please accept my apologies that your stay did not live up to expectations and thank you for your kind comments in relation to the staff who worked on the wedding day.
regards
Stephen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently attended a function at this hotel where a sandwich buffet was provided. The cost £20 per head and for this we were provided with an amount of food barely adequate for half the number of guests, each "sandwich" and piece of frozen supermarket pizza was cut into short strips about 2 centimetres wide. Apart from from some other frozen sausage rolls, chicken legs floating in a liquid and quiche, that was the extent of the selection. Complimentary drinks were part of the package and this consisted of a bottle of sherry that guests had to pour themselves. (The hotel had planned to provide bucks fizz but as this was a wake they were persuaded not to do that). Juice and glasses quickly ran out and were not replenished. Staff were non existent for most of the time and service was zero. The buffet was set out in a corridor with a staircase and stacks of chairs. The room we actually ate in was too small, crowded with round tables and the chairs provided were dirty. All this for £800! Please save yourselves and don't go there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank srjandah
Dear srjandah

It is very dissapointing reading and I feel I must clarify the wake was originally booked for 30 guests and prior to the day numbers were increased to over 40 at this point we did contact the organiser to suggest moving to a larger room to allow more space, your organiser however was really keen to keep it in the redwood suite, because of this the buffet was served in the corridor outside the room and the old original entrance was opened up so that guests could mill outside in the sunshine, we would have rather have used our restaurant for this event to have given you more space as I am sure that guest experience would have been enhanced greatly.
There were two members of staff looking after your party Hugh and Becky they did find it difficult to get round the tables due to lack of space and were on hand throughout clearly at the time you needed a drink they must have gone off momentarily so am sorry that they were not on hand.
in relation to the food and drinks package we do not use frozen items, the chicken is served in a BBQ sauce to keep it moist, we offer a whole host of drinks for wakes many have wine or champagne as some treat the reception as a celebration of life others choose sherry or soft drinks.
We always send feedback forms to event organisers we genuinely want to make sure that we are getting things right so we will await their feedback and action accordingly .

kind regards

Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Check in was quick and easy.. But lacked information regarding evening meal & breakfast times, where to go, if there was menus to have a look at before. We were a table of 10 the first night for dinner, and were disappointed that there was no steak left!

Rooms were basic, but clean & the showers were powerful enough. But for £99 (at a discounted rate) I thought it was overpriced.

Wedding was lovely. Ceremony, food, and staff were helpful!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Helen G
Dear Helen

Thank you for your review it was good to here that you a had a great day on the of wedding and that the food and service lived up to expectations

On the down side we are sorry that information was not as forthcoming as it should have been when you checked in, we are bedding in a few new staff at the moment and training is ongoing to ensure that we get this vital part of your stay right. We do always keep a copy of the menu at reception and reception will also print off a copy for you to take away on request. The restaurant was exceptionally busy on the Friday night and steak was extremely popular hence the running out, this can happen occasionally as we do try to limit orders to ensure freshness and quality on daily meat deliveries.
Though I do respect your opinion I feel the wedding rate is a good price for a weekend stay £99inc VAT per night is for two people bed and breakfast in a classic room
Kind regards

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has some charm and character to go with its age. Creeky floors and uneven surfaces make it feel like you have been drinking. The room was okay, smaller than I had expected but comfy enough. Air con would have been good in the stifling heat. It all seemed a bit understaffed and disorganised considering there was two weddings on. Breakfast was okay. The front lawn was a lovely setting in the weather to sit out and relax.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank peterdent
Hi Peter

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you feel that it was not quite value for money this is always something we try to strive to offer, it has been very hot recently and because of this we are looking at options for air conditioning in our next stage of refurbishments, the heat does make it a bit harder for the staff who would normally cope very well with thhe level of business we have had.
Glad you enjoyed the expanse of the front Lawn with its tables and parasols it is beautiful to sit out there on a warm day with a cold beer or bottle of chilled wine.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I recently stayed here on business and the hotel looks really nice from the outside however I encountered several problems that ruined my stay completely. The TV in the room was faulty and kept going on and off every few minutes, they did look at it and made it somewhat better. The sink in the bathroom was badly cracked and was a perfect place for germs to grow. I had issues with the food and had to send my pasta back as it was swimming in oil. I was woken by someone exercising at 6.30am! I spoke to the duty manager the next morning who documented all my issues on an official form and said he would talk to the general manager and they would be in touch in touch. I have waited a few weeks and heard absolutely nothing! It just shows that this is a hotel that does not care for its customers.

I will be in touch with the my company's booking site to get the Hatherley Manor removed from the Gloucester booking list.
I strongly suggest you do NOT stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank TCR555
generalmanager_HMH, General Manager at Hatherley Manor, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear TCR 555

I am sorry to here of your disappointment, we do care very much about our customers our staff will always go out of their way to try and help and assist if something is not right. As I am sure many happy customers will testify,

I am always willing to contact any customer and indeed there are always my personal business cards on desk at reception for guests to take with them, Sadly on this particular occasion I appear to have no record of your complaint I will however confer with my duty managers to find out exactly why your comments were not passed on me, I have also contacted you through the trip advisor messaging service.

I do hope that you contact me by return so that we can discuss your stay in more detail

Stephen Trowbridge
Peacehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a review of service I have received. I booked a room for 2 nights over 7 months ago with confirmation.

The booking is for tomorrow, my cousins wedding.

I contacted them with and general query only to be told I don't have a booking.

They received it on the 24th December and forgot to book it into their system.

Its amazing how people seem to think saying 'oh sorry', in a blasé way is acceptable.
Where is the customer service ? They took my money, I am disappointed and appalled.

The worst service I have ever received, bar none. Then the I told 'oh and were full on the second night, maybe we can book you into a premier inn'. If I had wanted to stay at a premier inn I would have booked the premier inn, not a hotel that is a 17th Century building.

I have never written anything like this before, but I've never been put in this situation before, absolutely disgraceful.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else, because even if you do book with them, you may not have a booking when you arri...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank will2804
generalmanager_HMH, General Manager at Hatherley Manor, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Will 2804

Firstly please accept my apologies for not being able to accommodate your stay with us due to us not loading your booking onto our system,
As discussed with my reservations team your booking came through a third party website on Christmas eve this particular third party make two kinds of reservations with us - 1, reservations from allocation 2, reservations requests where we reply with availability, on this particular day my receptionist wrongly thought it was a request not a reservation from allocation and subsequently emailed back a denial due to lack of availability this was then filed and our error was not picked up on by our reservations team.
My reservations team were very apologetic to you but could not alter the status due to the hotel being fully booked, in the rare event of something like this happening we have a book out policy of ensuring that the guests is relocated to a similar standard or higher standard property at no additional expense, realising that you were attending a wedding here our reservations team offered you the opportunity of the nearest accommodation so that you were not inconvenienced further we also arranged transport for you to and from the wedding.
I am sorry that you feel that we were unsympathetic but that really is not the case we were bitterly disappointed that this happened and will do all we can in the future to ensure something similar does not happen to other guests.
Lincoln
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This being our 4th visit to this hotel and everything was just as nice as previous visits
Staff very pleasant and helpful Room very clean although we had approx. 60 dining on both nights the food and service was brilliant breakfast cooked to order well done to a super hotel
we hope so see you again very soon

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Windsor38
Also consider these accommodations in or near Down Hatherley
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to Hatherley Manor? Share your experiences!