“The Perfect Getaway or Holiday Destination - Hidden Gem of a Hotel in Southend-on-Sea!”
Review of Roslin Beach Hotel

Roslin Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thorpe Bay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I've just returned from a fantastic weekend at The Roslin Hotel in Southend-on-Sea.

I had never heard of this hotel before and only went there this weekend to attend a cousin's wedding, but as soon as I got there, I was more than just BLOWN AWAY.. I mean WHAT A FIND!!

Situated perfectly in front of the beach, with a SUPER CLASSY bar and restaurant, IMPECCABLE Staff, EXTREMELY FRIENDLY service, amazing rooms, amazing rates.. I could go on and I wouldn't be done with this review..

So in a nutshell, if you're looking for a relaxing getaway, out of London and away from the city madness, you have got to go straight to The Roslin Hotel in Southend-on-Sea.

I am going back there next week, we've just got back and are now itching to book the next train tickets back!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
hertfordshire
Reviewed 9 March 2011

My partner and I visited this hotel on 25th Feb for the weekend. We were excited as soon as we pulled up as the hotel looks lovely at night, and when we walked in we were still as impressed as on first sight. It smelt lovley in teh entrance, and it was warm, clean and modern. The lady on front desk was freindly and we checked in quickly.
We stayed in room 308 in the beach house, and loved it on sight. I am a bit of a clean freak and usually dont go away as I dont liek the thought of staying in unclean surroundings and clinical uncomfy slept in beds, but this put me at ease straight away. It was like being at home! Beautiful clean bed, the bathroom was gleaming, and there was a fridge and Tv. The only sign we were in a hotel room was the wooden door with the lock on it.
In fact we had lots of plans to leave the hotel throughout our trip but missed most appointments because it was just too cosy. We had a lovely view of teh sea, and desite what people say, it wasn't noisy, but then that may be becuase everyone was indoors as the weather was bad!
We also had dinner at the hotel restaurant, the food was ok, I might have liked it better if my partner and I weren't just eating for the sake of eating (we werent hungry but we hadnt eaten all day so thought we had better). The tables are very close together however, so you felt a bit claustrophobic, but the atmosphere was good, if you liek teh partuy atmosphere, but not that romantic. The cocktails were nice, and the staff friendly but very busy and it sometimes took a while to get their attention.
The breakfast wasn't that great. Th edrinks were never cold which I hate, I love a cold juice in the morning, and teh plates were always a bit dirty where debris from food had got on it, but we just wiped them down with a napkin before putting food on them. It was nice to see the sea though whilst eating, even when it was raining!
Also, the only other niggle was room wasnt replaced with towels, but too be honest we kept fprgetting to put up the sign saying it was ok to come in and clean , and when we did remember we were only gone for an hour, so didnt give them much time, and judgin by how polite all the staff and even the other guests were, I'm sure if I'd just called and asked, someone would have been up there within 5 minutes!

All and all, it was a great time, and we'd go again. Even for a relaxing break. There's not much going on around there entertainment wise, but my partner is 25, and I'm 22, and we still enjoyed it. Plus it's only £6 ish for a taxi into town, should you want to explore!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I arranged for the Roslin Beach to host a wake due to the amazing setting along the seafront and the great reports I had heard from others. On arranging a viewing of the function rooms and meeting the staff, it was clearly the no.1 option available for miles around! and with a large family, some visiting from abroad, I wouldn't have wanted them to stay anywhere else...
The staff went well beyond their means of making us all feel completely welcome and comfortable. A truly personal service and accommodated to every need including Jamaican themed buffet with rum punch on arrival! The rooms were perfect, spotless & comfortable. Thanks to the Roslin for making the most perfect possible day! I've already been back for lunch and drinks, and would recommend for any occasion!

• Stayed February 2011
Ilford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Getting to this location couldn't have been easier for us using http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/destinations. Upon arrival at the Hotel reception desk, we were greeted by 3 very busy but smiling faces one of whom we later discovered, was Jacqui Harris(managing Directior), and another was Natalie (didn't get her surname). We were acknowledged very quickly and soon made to feel very welcome. Once the formalities were dealt with, we were given our room key and shown its location. The room was quite large and spacious over looking the sea front. The King size bed had a selection of pillows and was very comfortable and of course nicely made. We made good use of the wall mounted flat screen TV with freeview channels, likewise the Teas maid. My wife liked the fact that she could use the dressing table and chair for her make up and hair (there was even a hair dryer). There was a comfortable sofa and 2 soft chairs with a table, for my reading occasions. The wardrobe was large enough to faciliate our 4 days worth of clothing. The bathroom facilities were clean and in good working order with soft, clean fresh towels hanging on the wall mounted radiator. We had no complaints.....
We ventured out on many occasions to the bar which was fully stocked and adequately staffed according to the time of day/night so you were not left gasping for a drink. The choices of wine, spirits, cocktails, beers (draught and bottled) etc, kept us and many of the hotels customers suitably spoilt for choice. There were plenty of seating areas for the non diners and we noticed quite a few groups/families meeting up with 6/8/10 people involved. The waitresses and waiters were always busy coming and going but seem to have plenty of time to answer questions or serve you with a snack and a smile. The hotel has a vibrancy to it, made up of its customers (backed up by its staff) who are there celebrating birthdays or just generally meeting up for a drink and a chat. It was like a beehive at times with a great buzz of people just enjoying themselves. We noticed Jacqui meeting and greeting people continually, some seemed to know her as regular customers.
In the evening people were coming in to enjoy the restaurant and we have to say, that the food was top notch! Loads of choice, good service, again the waitresses were flitting around seriously busy (this is not a venue for the lazy worker). The Sunday dinner was terrific for £21.50 per head for 3 courses.
In the mornings sitting down to breakfast, we had decisions to make, there were a lot of options! Full English (with Cumberland sausages), an array of cereals, fresh fruit, Yoghurts, toast with a selection of jams and Marmite etc etc. you could eat as much as you wanted...We were stuffed.
We cannot say enough about this Hotel, our visit was brilliant, we went for a rest and to relax in general. We are going back again later in the year and I would like to think that we make it a habit year after year, but who knows?
A big thanks to Jacqui Harris and all her staff for an enjoyable visit, keep up the good work.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Word cannot express to warm welcoming feeling you experience from managers and staff at Roslin Beach Hotel. Great hospitality, excellent services, fantastic prices everyone will go above and beyond to ensure that you stay is enjoyable and unforgetable.

Rooms are clean with lovely warm relaxing decoration that provides a comfortable, beautiful environment, with breath taking seafront view for total relaxation.

What I enjoyed best about Roslin Beach Hotel is the quality of service, they all aim to please, I will definately be recommending to others and will visit again, my 12yr old son loves it so much he starts saving his pocket money for his next trip. Enjoyed every second of my stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Marjavv
Middle England
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We've just come home from our overnight stay at the Roslin, which was as part of a family get-together. Pity we couldn't have stayed longer, and we will definitely come back next time we have to stay in Southend.

The location is right on the seafront (note - having a sea view also means you get the traffic) and easy to find. Plenty of parking with decent sized spaces - no danger of the wally parked next to you dinking your doors.

Lyndsey on reception was incredibly helpful, and always friendly. Our room was in the Beach Hut - which is in fact what was the house next door, now connected to the hotel. Beautiful big airy room, with a door onto a small patio area with a table and chairs - pity about the weather!

The bed was a zip linked double, very comfy with lots of pillows. Unfortunately, it was a little short for my husband, who is 6' 4" - he had to poke his feet out through the slats at the bottom to be able to lie out flat.

The bathroom was clean and well appointed, with shower gels, soaps, lots of clean towels and bathrobes. Shame we weren't there long enough to make use of everything.

There's a big chest of drawers, and a wardrobes, and an ironing board, plus a dressing table - and a full length mirror on the bathroom door.

We did have a couple of issues while we were here. The restaurant is incredibly popular - for good reason - however the bar area which adjoins it is too small. On Saturday evening there were people still having afternoon tea, while early diners were gathering prior to eating, leading to a couple of altercations over seating. It looks like bar has had to give way to the restaurant, with negative implications. After we had finished eating, it was gone 11.30pm before there was room for us to leave the table and sit in the bar.

The other problem not helped by the lack of seating was the lack of any organisation - no maitre d' to point staff in the right direction. Lots of waitresses laying up tables, but no bar staff; diners waiting to eat though no-one to seat them.

Food was fantastic, breakfast next morning was excellent - big buffet selection, decent meaty sausages and soft scrambled eggs. Proper mushrooms, none of your tinned and sliced rubbish.

The Roslin definitely tops all the other hotels we've stayed at in Southend, and I think that it would be worth the extra taxi fare to stay here again in future.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Anionfan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2011

A friendly welcome on arrival, Beech front, Modern decor, Buffet breckfast was really nice, 24 hour bar :-). A great place to sit back relax and unwind, a real treat you would be hard pushed to find a nicer place to stay, our room was really nice the whole place Clean and fresh, I can not say enough good things about the Roslin. I can't wait to go back x

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorpe Bay
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
#14 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to Roslin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!