“A little disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thorpe Bay
Essex, United Kingdom
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with a wonderful restaurant and bar area looking out to sea. You cannot find a nicer place in Southend. I have been lucky enough to attend a wedding here in the past and to experience afternoon tea and the wonderful Sunday roast dinner on separate occasions, but I had never stayed here until this visit. The room looked out to sea which would have been nice if I could see it. When I tried to pull the blackout blind up in the morning I found that it would not go up. This was most annoying as the light did not give out much illumination so I got myself ready in the dark. I know I could have called for assistance but I was not really in a position to have someone in the room to help me at that time. Having said that I would have had to leave the room as it would have been impossible to get another person in the room as it was so small. My husband and I had to take in in turns to get up and walk around. The room was nicely decorated and so was the bathroom, the shower, however, was awful and with no power. Just a weak trickle of water. The breakfast was also not that good as it was cold and the staff were eager for everyone to leave and were rushing around clearing up and clattering about. There were no plates available or glasses and we had to ask twice for these to be replenished. It was a Sunday so lots of people were going to have a late breakfast so they should have allowed for this. For £120 per night I would expect more from a hotel so it will be the Premier Inn up the road for us next time. Very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dd21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I've been staying here on business for three nights once a month for over a year now, and cannot give sufficient praise to everyone who I've come into contact with! I met Jacqui on one of my earlier visits - what a charming lady!

The Reception staff, Florin and Cassie in particular, are always extremely welcoming and helpful.

Angie and her team at Breakfast are a pleasure to exchange banter with at 7.30 in the morning!

My room has always been immaculate and cleaned to a very high standard.

Having recently become partially disabled after spinal surgery, the staff have gone out of their way to help me during my stay - even arranging to put a wetroom chair in the Shower for me (Cassie - thank you for arranging that for me - it's so appreciated.)

In short, I couldn't have chosen a better "home from home" for these regular trips to Southend.

Jacqui, your Team at the Roslin do you very great credit - Thank you!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
swooley01
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I where in the area for a friends party and had an amazing weekend with the Roslin Beach Hotel Staff and rooms. Everyone was very helpful in any way possible and the food was great! A must stay if in the area looking for a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: Pick the best room you can as the more you spend the more you get. This is a property that truly ref...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed in many great hotels in SouthEnd over the years but Roslin beats them all... by far. Great hotel, spotless, gorgeous room with the most comfortable bed.
Hotels restaurant busy but only because food is the yummiest! Chocolate and Cranberry Torte... to die for. Great customer service. Would go back there tomorrow if I could! ;)

• Stayed February 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing room with terrace as on ground floor and sea views. The staff are always great with brilliant service, friendly and welcoming. The breakfast has a wide variety but not too much that it's over the top. Lots of places nearby to visit, I stayed for business and have stayed before. Each time it's spot on - with the rooms and professional but warm welcome I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Have booked the next stay for leisure too. Ideal for business, couples, anyone!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I did not stay at the Roslin but took my aunt for afternoon tea to celebrate her 85th birthday yesterday. I don't normally review restaurants but had to write about this one as it exceeded our expectations and made for a very memorable occasion.
We had booked, and judging by the fact there was not a spare table on a Wednesday in February, would suggest is essential. The tea costs £15.95 which is probably the higher end of cost for other establishments but worth every penny.Tea consisted of warm quiche, plenty of very fresh sandwiches and bridge rolls, scones with jam and cream, profiteroles, meringues, fruit custard tarts, madeleines and a glass of trifle. All washed down with copious quantities of tea!
The staff were very friendly, polite and helpful, the restaurant is relaxed and with lovely Thames views and we didn't feel rushed to finish.
If I had to make any criticism, maybe the scones would have been nicer served warm, but they were perfectly nice cold!
Very nice place for a special occasion. Thank you

Room Tip: If you're going for tea- don't eat lunch!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kerrymcg
Alicante
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were married last friday and had booked a room at the Roslin for the night as we didn't want to go straight home. We dropped our bags earlier in the day and they were in our room when we arrived, and when we did arrive in the early hours of the morning after our reception they had upgraded us to the honeymoon suite!
Our friends had arranged for champagne to be in our room, which was accompanied by flowers, and petals on the bad in a heart! What a fantastic first night as Mr & Mrs! We woke to a beautiful morning, overlooking the sea and had breakfast in our room, for which they also waived the usual fee- we were spoiled and loved it- Thanks Roslin!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorpe Bay
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
Travelodge Southend on Sea
#14 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to Roslin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!