“Nice place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roslin Beach Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Roslin Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thorpe Bay
“Nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking and very happy with the hotel. Friendly staff, clean well appointed rooms and a very good quality breakfast. Usually buffet breakfasts leave me cold but this was of excellent quality and the scrambled eggs were superb.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Rayleigh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This review relates to an extremely disappointing afternoon tea experience that my family had at the Roslin Hotel.

Upon arrival and prior to being seated we met in the bar area and I was disappointed to see a number of dogs in the area, however, the hotel is advertised as a dog friendly establishment so there is nothing I can do about that. What did concern me though was the apparent lack of dress code within the hotel. I accept short sleeved T-shirts and short trousers but what I did find disappointing was a male wearing a vest. I appreciate that it is a seaside hotel but is advertised as being 4 star so I would have thought there would be a more discerning dress code.

That said, my major disappointment was with the afternoon tea and I will outline my concerns as follows:

Firstly, when the original booking was made it was for 10 people, however, when we were shown to our table it was only set for 8 people so we were supplied with 2 extra place settings and squashed onto the table. This made it very uncomfortable.

Also, the waitress who brought up the extra settings smelt strongly of cigarette smoke which virtually all of my family commented on. This was quite distasteful and coupled with the fact that there was a used plaster discarded on the floor immediately behind where I was sitting made it quite an unpleasant start. All of this before we had even been served any food.

This brings me to my next issue. When the booking was made it was explained that 2 of our party had certain dietary requirements and when, who I assume was the senior waiter Jonathan, came to clarify this he was unaware of the exact requirement and these were not able to be met. I will say that he eventually managed to offer a suitable alternative. Before he left though he was asked if the hotel uses free range eggs, a simple enough question and one that I'm sure is asked in most food establishments everyday. He was unaware of the answer and rolled his eyes in what I felt was a very dismissive manner before leaving to find the answer.

Having now got the food issues sorted we were served an attractive display of food but it was disappointing to find that the tea itself was being served in coffee pots. Not good etiquette I suggest and when fresh tea was requested the same pots were refilled as opposed fresh pots being brought. Furthermore we had to have the same small milk jug regularly refilled and at one point Jonathan even brought the large refill jug to the table and poured it in front of us. My niece also had a small chip in her cup.

Having brought this to the attention of the staff both Jonathan and George made offers of apology and compensation which was appreciated but it still took the gloss of what should have been a relaxing event.

I have been fortunate enough to have taken afternoon tea at a number of different hotels and have never experienced anything like I did on this occasion. I had seen the hotel reviews and spoken to many people who have visited the hotel but either they have different expectations to me or we were just very unlucky yesterday.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Nicola H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Came for afternoon tea with my best friend and was blown away by the quality of the food and service. There's a sign outside proclaiming the best afternoon tea in Southend - after our meal I'd happily agree!

Lots of food - including wonderful macaron, opera cake and a beautiful mini quiche served warm. Lovely dainty sandwiches (beef, salmon and egg) and of course the obligatory luscious scone filled with plump fruit and served with Essex's own Tiptree jam and lashings of clotted cream.

Simply wonderful - and that's before you factor in huge sea view while you eat. We'll definitely be going back, was interested to see posters offering short notice discounts on spa treatments - might book one at the same time for the ultimate girlie day!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Shoeburyness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Today myself and work friends had a cream tea. We were looked after by two fantastic young men. We couldn't have asked for better service and it made the delicious tea extra special. Thank you for a wonderful afternoon.

Stayed August 2014
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My chosen life partner and i,with the rents in tow decided to try The Roslin. Its billed as the best afternoon tea in Southend...from our local knowledge there is not much competition! We have tried all the top hotels in London,so we thought something closer to home would be a nice change.
The Roslin ticks most of the boxes for a traditional afternoon tea,but fails on the attentive service,and most importantly the offer of extra rounds of sandwiches and cakes. I cannot believe that any hotel who charges from £15 upwards ea for afternoon tea,would lose profit by offering another round...probably most patrons would decline anyway,so even more annoying for not doing so. It seems only the hotels in London do this, about time the burbs followed suit.
The surroundings are pleasant enough, and the food adequate but not the most challenging we have encountered.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank Jim R
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed here for one night earlier in the year and enjoyed it so much that I returned last week for 2 nights. Again the staff were fantastic, everyone in the hotel is cheerful and helpful. The breakfast was lovely - just a shame that after eating such a good breakfast we were too full to have the afternoon tea which looked lovely!!!! The breakfast kept us going until evening and we ate in the restaurant on both nights. Between us we chose from set menu and a la carte and the food was delicious, atmosphere really relaxed and staff lovely. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Overall a wonderful hotel and I'm sure I'll be booking again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Spent one night at the hotel on Monday 11th August. On arrival the car park was very busy and we were 'lucky' to get a space. We chose this hotel because it catered for dogs and cater for them it did. Reception staff were excellant even telling us where we could sit in the main hotel areas with our dog.
Our room was separate from the main hotel, great for the dog, and was very clean - no doggie smells or old dog hair anywhere.
Our room had dog bowels and a dog bed with blanket.
The breakfast was excellant, great choice - just about everything you could think of, with a great view over the bay.
Would recommend to everybody, with or without your dog.
Excellent hotel.

Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,122 reviews
Pontlands Park
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eastern Esplanade) Hotel
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eas...
#1 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
Westcliff Hotel
Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea

Been to Roslin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!