“Spa day”
Review of Roslin Beach Hotel

Roslin Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thorpe Bay
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Myself and two friends booked the spa day. The hotel is lovely, the spa treatments were amazing but some of the service we received was not great. We were told we could have our breakfast, included in the package, at 10:00. When we got to the dining room everything was being cleared away. They did manage to find us something to eat but it wasn't quite the same. Also included is a room for the day. When we booked we were told we would have a sea view room with terrace and as it was such a beautiful day we were looking forward to sitting outside. We were given a "garden" room which is next to the car park. Afternoon tea is also included. Ours was arranged for 3:00pm. We eventually got it at 4:30, after several phone calls. Our champagne and coffee were missing so we had to call again to get those. As I said, the spa treatments were amazing, the hotel is lovely and the food we did get was very good. If the service had been better I would have given it 5 stars. My friends did complain and the manager has now given them a voucher for a free afternoon tea to compensate. I might just have to fly back to join them!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Roslin Beach Hotel

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Took my mum for a massage and a facial in the spa section which was fabulous and I had Megan who was lovely and professional throughout and I would recommend 100% to everyone !!!! Then went on to have a two course lunch which was included in the package I received from the spa which was delicious !!! Spoke to the spa manager another Megan who explained their various plans to expand the spa section which i am now very excited about !!! A very enjoyable day out and would tell anyone who asked to give it a try !

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Never been to southend before. Arranged to stay here on a whim and was a great choice. Gorgeous establishment and friendly staff. Had a room with a sea view and breakfast was good too. Tv and wifi always a bonus!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

I came here as I had a voucher, bought for me as a gift, for afternoon tea for two. I found the staff to be pleasant, polite and helpful. My friend and I were seated immediately, we had lovely sea views and asked straight away what drinks we would like. The staff were attentive, but not intrusive. We were also asked if we would like more tea/coffee towards the end, which was included. The food was lovely, as well as a tier containing cakes, sandwiches and scones, they also bought separately, mini quiches and mini trifles. The hotel has a lovely ambience about it, clean, bright and decorated tastefully. It's location directly across from the beach is stunning.
Would I go here again? Definitely.
I always read reviews before I go somewhere on here and I think it's important if you find a negative one to read more and see if that is actually the case, or not.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking and very happy with the hotel. Friendly staff, clean well appointed rooms and a very good quality breakfast. Usually buffet breakfasts leave me cold but this was of excellent quality and the scrambled eggs were superb.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This review relates to an extremely disappointing afternoon tea experience that my family had at the Roslin Hotel.

Upon arrival and prior to being seated we met in the bar area and I was disappointed to see a number of dogs in the area, however, the hotel is advertised as a dog friendly establishment so there is nothing I can do about that. What did concern me though was the apparent lack of dress code within the hotel. I accept short sleeved T-shirts and short trousers but what I did find disappointing was a male wearing a vest. I appreciate that it is a seaside hotel but is advertised as being 4 star so I would have thought there would be a more discerning dress code.

That said, my major disappointment was with the afternoon tea and I will outline my concerns as follows:

Firstly, when the original booking was made it was for 10 people, however, when we were shown to our table it was only set for 8 people so we were supplied with 2 extra place settings and squashed onto the table. This made it very uncomfortable.

Also, the waitress who brought up the extra settings smelt strongly of cigarette smoke which virtually all of my family commented on. This was quite distasteful and coupled with the fact that there was a used plaster discarded on the floor immediately behind where I was sitting made it quite an unpleasant start. All of this before we had even been served any food.

This brings me to my next issue. When the booking was made it was explained that 2 of our party had certain dietary requirements and when, who I assume was the senior waiter Jonathan, came to clarify this he was unaware of the exact requirement and these were not able to be met. I will say that he eventually managed to offer a suitable alternative. Before he left though he was asked if the hotel uses free range eggs, a simple enough question and one that I'm sure is asked in most food establishments everyday. He was unaware of the answer and rolled his eyes in what I felt was a very dismissive manner before leaving to find the answer.

Having now got the food issues sorted we were served an attractive display of food but it was disappointing to find that the tea itself was being served in coffee pots. Not good etiquette I suggest and when fresh tea was requested the same pots were refilled as opposed fresh pots being brought. Furthermore we had to have the same small milk jug regularly refilled and at one point Jonathan even brought the large refill jug to the table and poured it in front of us. My niece also had a small chip in her cup.

Having brought this to the attention of the staff both Jonathan and George made offers of apology and compensation which was appreciated but it still took the gloss of what should have been a relaxing event.

I have been fortunate enough to have taken afternoon tea at a number of different hotels and have never experienced anything like I did on this occasion. I had seen the hotel reviews and spoken to many people who have visited the hotel but either they have different expectations to me or we were just very unlucky yesterday.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicola H
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Came for afternoon tea with my best friend and was blown away by the quality of the food and service. There's a sign outside proclaiming the best afternoon tea in Southend - after our meal I'd happily agree!

Lots of food - including wonderful macaron, opera cake and a beautiful mini quiche served warm. Lovely dainty sandwiches (beef, salmon and egg) and of course the obligatory luscious scone filled with plump fruit and served with Essex's own Tiptree jam and lashings of clotted cream.

Simply wonderful - and that's before you factor in huge sea view while you eat. We'll definitely be going back, was interested to see posters offering short notice discounts on spa treatments - might book one at the same time for the ultimate girlie day!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorpe Bay
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#14 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Gleneagles Guesthouse
Gleneagles Guesthouse
#1 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea

Been to Roslin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!