“Excellent Hotel , Food and Service - Southends Best Hotel”
Review of Roslin Beach Hotel

Roslin Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thorpe Bay
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I have been in staying in Southend for the past few weeks on business and have found that the Roslin Beach Hotel is simply the best Hotel in the area. The Roslin is an excellent hotel to relax in after a hard days work. The rooms are clean and well decorated and comfortable. The Restaurant and service is of a particularly high standard with a wide range of contemporary and traditional dish's available. The fish dish's are particularly good and well priced. The breakfast is also of a very high standard and in particular the excellent local sausages are not to be missed. The Staff are friendly and helpful and have made my stays at the Roslin enjoyable and hassle free. I and my work colleagues always choose this hotel over any of the others in the area. - Chris

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 February 2009

Took my wife to the Roslin Beach for Valentine's night.
Super room with balcony and seaview in the new Business Centre. Quiet, peaceful room with no traffic noise - though a very drunk 'lady' in the room above made up for this! The problem was sorted out by the excellent receptionist in a very professional way.
Special menu in tides restaurant - excellent food and service and a rose for the ladies and a glass of champagne for all. Pleasant live music from a talented young keyboard player so all in all just aboutjustified the £45 per head price tag. Breakfast was equally good-continental plus hot buffet ( with best sausages ever from a hotel kitchen) One word of caution - check your bill. We were charged for beer and vodka which we didnt have and they surreptitiously add a 10% gratuity and service charge; no mention of this in advance and I'd already given a more than generous gratuity. Even the bill had a space for 'gratuity' so they want it both ways! On principal I feel this is sharp practice.
Nevertheless, overall a really good experience.
Vic - Billericay, Essex

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VicandSteph
Reviewed 7 January 2009

The best thing about this hotel is its pleasant and helpful staff. Our room was okay but unfortunately the outside wall was damp resulting in peeling wallpaper and an extra heater! Also the bathroom was at best tired and dated. The dining and bar area looked to have been recently refurbished and were of a high standard, however the food was a bit of a letdown. Overall if visiting Southend I would probably stay again but hopefully in a better room.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 13 December 2008

Was recommended this hotel by the company I was visiting so I was sure it would be OK....and it was!

I didn't arrive until late evening after a long drive south. Check-in was effortless with the lady on Reception attentive because there was an office party in the restaurant and she made sure I had a quiet room.

The staff offered to make me up a table in the restaurant but because of the party, I declined. So they offered to arrange room service. This service was very efficient and, importantly, the food was excellent quality with very good presentation.

My room was quiet, as promised, overlooking the Courtyard - this is actually the car park. The size was smallish but OK for my needs overnight. A small wardrobe, a desk, a low cabinet and wall mounted LCD were featured. Everything was very clean with crisp linen on the double bed. The only disappointment was the bathroom which although very clean, was rather dated and tiles on the floor would be more acceptable than lino.

Following a good nights sleep, breakfast was in the dining room/conservatory at the front of the hotel, overlooking the sea front. It was really good, very light and airy, good furnishings and a lovely oak floor. The staff were very helpful but just as importantly, the breakfast was a quality meal with fresh produce. Starbucks coffee was a pleasant surprise.

Checkout was a simple process which took minutes.

I would stay there again if I have to be in Southend-on-sea.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Stayed at this hotel for a Saturday night as we were visiting friends in the Southend area. We had booked the day before and were given a reduced rate on the only room available.
When we arrived relatively early in the evening the car park at the rear of the hotel was packed - mainly with range rovers! Not wanting to leave our car on the busy main road over night we managed to squeeze it in next to a very badly parked porsche. When we booked in at reception the receptionist confirmed that many of the cars belonged to people eating in the restaurant and that this was often a problem for hotel guests.
Our room was OK, we had a family room as this was the only room available when we booked, we had a sea view which also included a view of the tools left behind on the flat roof below the window.
The bathroom looked as though it had seen better days, although I'm sure was recently renovated. The bath had one of those plastic trays across it that I have not seen since 1979.
Breakfast was OK, but was accompanied by staff arguing and rearragning furniture around us. There was a breakfast menu on the tables, but we gave up waiting to be served and decided to stick to helping ourselves to the buffet table.
Overall, this hotel is nice enough, although not as good as it seems to think it is, and could do with clearer arrangements for prioritising parking for hotel guests.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mebbucks
Reviewed 11 November 2008

My family and I stayed at the Roslin and mostly enjoyed our stay .The staff were very efficient and friendy and the room was very clean and well equipped .The restaurant was good ,not brilliant ,the location very good .I would certainly stay there again .
The only complaint I would make is the attitude of the owner towards one his staff members in front of all the guests at breakfast one morning .I understand the owner /staff relationship is not always a good one.However to do what he did in front of all the guests was unnecessary and unprofessional and made a number of people very uncomfortable.
Apart from that all good .

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 26 September 2008

We stayed here after a friend had gone in to look at the rooms for us. Our room was in an annex at the rear of the hotel and was excellent. It was very spacious, clean and tidy. We had wanted a larger room to put a travel cot in and it was certainly big enough.

Breakfast proved to be very good. It's self service and we turned up early so eveything was fresh - I don't know what it's like later. The sausages were good quality (often an indicator) and the rest of the food was good. The coffee was provided by Starbucks and was fine, but it depends on your view of Starbucks I assume.

We booked over the phone and the hotel informed us that they had a function on and gave us the opportunity to reconsider, although since we were in the annex it wasn't a problem. They also rang us later to explain it was buffet only food on the Saturday night. We were going out anyway, but appreciated the call.

My only gripe was that the car park was full, mainly due to the popularity of the place with non-residents. I don't know what the solution is but I think they should try to find one. That's the only reason I've not given them 5 stars.

A few weeks before we stayed at the Dunkeld Spa Hilton. We paid a similar (high) room rate and I would say that comparing the rooms, breakfast and service the Roslin beats the Dunkeld Spa hands down for the money.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorpe Bay
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
Pontlands Park
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow

Been to Roslin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!