“no expense spared”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thorpe Bay
essex
“no expense spared”
Reviewed 4 January 2010

My partner and i spent christmas day and new years eve at the roslin beach hotel in sunny southend on sea.On both occasions we had a meal and a room booked.From the moment we walked through the door we were treated like royalty.We were lucky enough on both evenings to stay at the penthouse and were surprised how reasonable the room rates were.Everything from the service,surroundings and especially the buffet on new years eve was perfection and thoroughly reccommend it to anyone booking up for next year as we will.All in all a truely five star experience

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Paris
Reviewed 20 November 2009

The Hotel is very comfortable, quite luxurious. My room was facing the parking on the ground floor, with no view indeed, but that was actually nice and calm. The room was very comfortable and spacious, well lit and decorated, nice LCD TV. Wifi with unlimited free access worked perfectly. The kettle tray was good. The only downside I found was the lack of temperature regulator on the shower, a bit tricky to adjust.
I have not tested the restaurant, which looked nice.
The location is great (on the Beach), but if you have no car, downtown and attractions are quite far away.
The personnel was very friendly and efficient, it was a good stay (3 days).

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
southend on sea
Reviewed 17 November 2009

I would like to share my experience of dining at the Roslin Beach hotel, Sunday 15 November, the weekend before my mother’s 78th birthday.

As with most family occasions, my father (84 years young) booked a table for myself, my partner, my mother and father, we have collectively been customers at the Roslin Hotel’s restaurant for over 20 years and have always received excellent service and food quality, their cream teas are particularly to be recommended!

However on this occasion we things did not proceed as perfectly as on previous visits, we were seated at our table by a very pleasant young waitress, very friendly and articulate, we ordered our starters and main courses from the set Sunday lunch menu, always superb and excellent value, and waited for our food arrive. In due course our starters arrived, all very good in both quality and quantity and very much enjoyed by our party.

Our main courses then arrived, two roast lamb, one roast port and one roast chicken together with a selection of seasonal vegetables and a good looking cauliflower cheese. My mother commented that her meat was very tough, upon beginning my meal I also found the lamb to be inedible, extremely tough, overcooked, and slightly curled at the edges in my mother’s case, my partner’s chicken was very dry and woolly, the roast potatoes very undercooked and difficult to get your fork in, coupled with the fact that whilst vegetables should be cooked al dente, the cabbage had more than a bite to it.

As we had not been offered any condiments and no-one had come over to see if all was OK we thought we would not call anyone over but wait for them to come over as they seemed busy. Unfortunately the condiments or waitress never arrived and we therefore altered the gentleman that seemed to be in charge of the restaurant and I very calmly explained the problems as we perceived them with our meals and that we weren’t really prepared to pay for this part of the menu, we had at this stage obviously eaten only a mouthful of the dish. He replied that they had cooked over 100 lunches and that we were the only customers to complain, I however pointed out that whilst this may be the case, we were in fact complaining and felt we had a valid claim. I then suggested that he maybe take on the meals back to the chef and show him our concerns which he duly did, returned a short while later explaining again how they had served many lunches etc. etc. I then asked if they ever microwaved the meat as, in my opinion the way the meat was served maybe suggested that due to rushed service maybe this was case, he assured me that this didn’t happen, I said that’s fine and he very kindly agreed to take the main course of the bill.

As we then had not had a main course, no replacements were offered, my partner and father went outside to smoke during which time a waiter came over and said did we want to order pudding, we had been given back the menus, I explained that two people were outside could he return in 5 mins. 5 mins later a waitress appeared to take our orders, she took the orders and then the gentleman who we had previously complained to came over and said that the chef has taken great offence and our complaint, particularly and comment about the microwaving of meat, and was refusing to serve us dessert and we had to leave! As you can imagine my mother and father being the ages they are, were mortified, I tried to discuss the matter with the gentleman who just reiterated that we had to leave, despite my assurances that on all previous occasions the food and been absolutely superb, he also said that we had complained in the past, a fact that none of us recall and which he would not comment upon, no payment was necessary, although my partner did offer to pay for what we had actually eaten.

This experience greatly lessened the treat of my mother’s birthday and my father now no longer feels he will be welcome back to the place where he has spent many a happy time with friends and family.

I just want to explain to anyone that the Roslin is generally fantastic but be warned DO NOT COMPLAIN IF YOU WANT TO STAY FOR DESSERT.

• Stayed November 2009
13 Thank 25eleanor
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I do prefer to stay at The Roslin rather than the run-down Westcliff but the locals and regulars seem to think it's some marvellous boutique hotel.

It is true that the rooms are refurbished, as are the public areas. Some of the rooms, and especially bathrooms are tiny. Rooms can be very loud.

The restaurant is OK and has some lovely dishes on the menu. Some of them are badly executed. Service can be a bit rubbish, and there are very few seats in the bar so stick to your dinner table if you want to carry on drinking. Wine list is good. Desk staff are poor and surly.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Nomad464
London
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Unfortunately a very disappointing stay, after reading reviews I was quite looking forward to staying here.. To start with the the staff ignore you in the bar area as they are too busy attending to the gang of youths that walk in frequently.
The food is overpriced and they ridiculously charge a different price for the same meal because you have it at a different time.
The hotel was mostly clean but the smell of the food from the kitchen is awful when you start to smell it on your clothes, unfortunately having the 'Gents' toilets right next to the kitchen did nothing for my appetite and the awful whiff you get every now and then... say no more.
I travel a lot so maybe I seem fussy but I certainly would not recommend it.
I spoke to the owner regarding the smell but he said he didn't notice it- probably because he smelt the same!-honestly.
Parking is terrible.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank MrHenleyButler
billericay
Reviewed 7 October 2009

thank you for a loveiy lunch for our 40th wedding anniversary,
All the staff were very frendly nothing was to much trouble, would recomend every one enjoyed the meal , thank you
Roslin Beach Hotel

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2009

THIS REVIEW COVERS THE RESTAURANT ONLY

I visited this restaurant for Sunday lunch with my wife, daughter and son-in-law and we were all pleased with the experience.

We arrived slightly early so had no problem parking, althoughI can see that it could pose a problem as when we left 2 1/2 hours later the car park was jam-full.

We found the service to be professional and as fast as the totally full restaurant would allow.

The food was plentiful and of a very good standard , well presented with appropriate sauces offered without having to be requested. The roast beef was perfectly cooked (as was the pork, I was told). My only caveat being that the vegetables were generally too 'al dente' for my liking (but I know I am in a minority here!)

A big plus point for smokers like myself is the large terrace (overlooking the sea) with glazed half-walling and large parasols with heaters. You could choose to dine out here if you wished and it was so different to the usual small scruffy smoking areas so often found - or the total absence of any provision at all.

All in all a good meal in pleasant surroundings with a good ambience.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorpe Bay
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
The Last Post
The Last Post
#5 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Roslin Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!