“A lot of fun”

Mid America Motorworks, My Garage Museum
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Effingham
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Mid America puts on an awesome aircooled VW show each year rain or shine. Unfortunately this year was more rain than shine but they went out of their way to make it enjoyable despite the weather.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

The My Garage Museum may not be large in scale, but it is a fairly interesting stop for car (& especially Corvette) enthusiasts. The museum is easy to get to, being just off Interstate 70. I was confused on where to park though; I didn’t see the sign on the stone entrance marker for the museum; I ended up going further down the road & mistakenly parking next to the business’s warehouse & office space.

The museum is free, and split into two wings (Corvette & VW) attached to the gift shop. As a Corvette enthusiast, I enjoyed reading the informational signs that went with each Corvette, and seeing vintage advertising signs displayed along with them. The museum is clean, mostly well organized, and you can take as many pictures as you want. There’s nothing interactive about the museum, but that’s ok. The highlight for me was seeing both the last C4 generation Corvette, and a test model of the C5 generation Corvette. The VW area pales in comparison to the Corvette display though; they’d probably be better off just focusing on Corvettes. I almost skipped the VW section entirely, as all it really has is a couple of the “Herbie” cars from the Disney movies.

The gift shop is a haven for Corvette lovers, with every kind of Corvette-related item you can think of for sale. I was especially excited to get a great price on a cool Corvette shirt from a clearance rack. Overall, it’s a good place to stop and see at least once, but there’s not enough to compel me to visit again anytime soon.

2  Thank CTS2003
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stopped here on our way through on I-70 and enjoyed the displays. This FREE museum has some great and rare Corvettes, VWs and concept cars. It was worth the stop.

2  Thank explorerfun
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband was in his glory here. What a clean, neat place this is. The man behind the counter was very courteous and helpful.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

First class operation. Clean, great bargains, class act Yeager family!