“2 small lamps & 1 burnt out, in bath, & shower needed repair.”

Holiday Inn Effingham
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Effingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Muncie, Indiana
“2 small lamps & 1 burnt out, in bath, & shower needed repair.”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Construction in lobby, temporary, but undesirable. The bath tub is a 3rd rate one. bath was 3rd rate. Two wall lamps & only one worked, resulting in a very dim lit room. The shower was difficult to operate, & I finally got a 1/4 stream of water. For a higher priced hotel, for the area, it's not a desirable stay.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank JpDrumr
EffinghamHI, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Effingham, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
JpDrumr-

I would like to extend our apologies to you that we did not meet your expectations on your most recent stay. We do appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests in order to improve on any areas of concern.

Our maintenance technicians are on-site and available 24 hours a day for any areas of concern regarding our rooms or property such as those that you've mentioned and they have since been taken care of.

The construction is temporary but once completed, will be highly desirable. We hope you'd consider us on your next visit through Effingham to see the finished results.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Henderson, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel appears to have been nicely updated from new tile in the restaurant area, to the new carpet and furniture in the hallway downstairs and new carpet throughout the upstairs. (This was a Hilton Garden Inn and Holiday Inn took it over last December) The room was clean, the bed comfortable and really no complaints.
The man behind the desk was enthusiastic and helpful, as we did not have a reservation. Due to the renovation in progress, we each received a $3.00 off coupon for breakfast the next morning.The easy access to the interstate was great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kentucky101
Kentucky101-

We are happy to hear that you've enjoyed your recent stay with us as well as noticed the upgrades and improvements as we make our transition complete into the Holiday Inn format. Our front desk staff is amazing and really focus on being the face of the hotel and personnel for our guests.

Our restaurant service and menu items are another area that we take great pride in and are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to experience it during your stay.

We hope to see you again.

Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed 29 August 2013

As many others have stated, this has changed fro being a Hilton Gardens to being a Holiday inn. So it is newer than most Holiday Inns that you find in the midwest which tend to have been built in the 70's and are mostly aging.

While I had originally planned on being there for two weeks an emergency came up and I had to check out over the first weekend and back in on monday. They made the change without any complaints and in fact when I returned on Monday they had upgraded my room.

If you travel as much as I have to, eventually you will make an error and at the end of my trip I left a duffle bag behind. I didn't realize it until I was long gone, but when I called the hotel they had found it and they then shipped it back to me. The only glitch was that when they originally found it they were not sure if I had actually checked out (I do the rapid check out and don't stop by the desk) so they held the room one more day incase i did come back in the evening. That additional day got charged to my credit car by mistake, but as soon as I called the manager it was corrected immediately, again without any complaining. Their customer service will keep me coming back in the future

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank sehaare
EffinghamHI, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Effingham, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Sehaare-

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding out hotel and service. It is much appreciated to hear when our guests enjoy our staff and the accommodations. Our housekeeping department as well as our track it (lost items) program does a wonderful job in locating missing items for our guests.

We are glad things worked out with both retrieving your luggage as well as the billing issues. We can't wait to see you again the next time your in the Effingham area. Thank you again for providing feedback.

Houston
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I did not choose this hotel; it was the hotel of choice for a wedding party, and I was fortunate to be a part of that. However, if I stayed in this area again, I would definitely choose this hotel! We were treated to a "suite," which included a sitting area with sofa, easy chair, desk, TV, microwave, and fridge, then beyond the bathroom were two queen-sized beds with another TV. The only negative I would voice is that the bathroom is all-inclusive, with poor lighting over the vanity. I prefer a bathroom that has a vanity outside the shower and toilet area. Given the layout of this room/suite, that would not have been feasible. Just a personal preference, and nothing against the hotel.

The hotel is directly across the street from Wal-Mart, and my adult daughter and I felt perfectly safe walking across the street to stock up on some food items. There is a Cracker Barrel just down the street, as well as several other chain restaurants (Ruby Tuesday across the street, Steak & Shake, McDonald's, Burger King, and several others).

The staff were friendly and helpful; the indoor pool/whirlpool area was nice and clean; the rooms and hallways were extremely clean and quiet. We did not eat in the first-floor restaurant, but only because I typically find that restaurants within hotels are fairly expensive.

All in all, this was a very pleasant stay, and I would definitely recommend the hotel and stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jules1013
EffinghamHI, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Effingham, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for your comments and suggestions regarding our Holiday Inn. We take great pride in maintaining a clean facility for our guests and continue to focus on providing you the most satisfying experience during your stay. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay during the wedding party event and were comfortable with our facility. All of our rooms are equip with refrigerators and microwaves for your convenience.

We hope to see you again for your next vacation stay, travel, business, or any other
event you may have upcoming and have an opportunity to try our restaurant as well.

Thanks
Magnolia, Arkansas
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

As mentioned in other reviews, this is a converted Hilton Garden. We came in late on a road trip and were surprised by this hotel. It's a clean, updated, slightly upscale hotel that has a more luxury feel. The staff at the desk were dressed more like what you would find at a Westin, W, or the like. Very impressed! Rooms had again a more up scale feel although the heavy decor may get outdated quickly.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Lfferg
EffinghamHI, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Effingham, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such positive feedback. We are very pleased that you were pleasantly surprised by the upscale feel of our property and impressed with our rooms and staff. You will be happy to know that we will be updating the décor and furniture to provide our guests with the luxurious experience they have come to expect from our hotel. Thank you again for letting us know that our hotel exceeded your expectations
Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I’ve been through this central-Illinois “land of a hundred hotels” many times, but this visit was at the end of a LONG day, so I sought TLC! As I strode to the fancy desk in the rather classy lobby, I was immediately surprised by the welcoming words of a staff-member: “Welcome to the very first day of this new Holiday Inn!” I realized quickly that I had seen this large place before…but it was a “Hilton Garden” for several years…until yesterday! So the “new” place looked good, and I found:
Staff—professional, obviously welcoming, helpful, courteous, and eager to please brand new customers.
Price—perhaps it was a “grand opening” special, but I was fairly astonished by the excellent price, especially given the amenities, as well as the bonus points.
Room—very spacious and well-appointed, with virtually anything that anyone might expect.
Bed—king-size, firm, good to sleep on, with good selection of pillows.
Bath—full-size; excellent shower; thick towels; good hair dryer; complimentary soaps, lotions, etcetera.
Work area—comfortable desk/chair, multi-outlets, strong Wi-Fi.
Location—excellent and convenient: near the I-57 and I-70 access; LOTS of malls, gas stations, fast-foods, full-service restaurants.
Overall—very active area, but reasonably quiet; well-priced; convenient, welcoming. BONUS: a major hotel which actually had closed-captioning [for the hearing-impaired] on its television set!!! Yea for you…..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank TexasPadre
EffinghamHI, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Effingham, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear TexasPadre-

You are correct that we were formerly a Hilton Garden Inn. We have completed our name change in July during your stay with us. However, we have continued to maintain the luxury's you would expect from the Holiday Inn brand as well as some additional features that you have mentioned in your review.

We truly appreciate your feedback and value our guest comments in order to continue to provide you with exceptional service and hospitality. We look forward to seeing you next time your in our area. Our full service restaurant and dining area has enhanced it breakfast and dinner menu's in addition to expanding on its lunch options.

Our hotel contains 11 hearing assistance rooms as well as multiple ADA compliant rooms for our guests that request and desire these features.

Branson, MO
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This has been our favorite hotel in Effingham. We always looked forward to staying here, having stayed close to a dozen times. Being a former Hilton Garden Inn it has a large attractive lobby, good sized well appointed rooms and a very friendly staff. This was our first stay since the name change and while the hotel is still well kept it has degraded some and looks a bit tired, nothing major but no longer up to what you would expect from a Hilton. The staff we spoke with were mostly the same and all of them were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The buffet breakfast hasn't changed since the name change. It's a hot buffet and worth the price. Our server was wonderful. We were told that the hotel is in the process of changing over to a full scale Holiday Inn so I expect in the future there will be positive changes but at this point they had not started the remodel. Again its a good hotel at a very reasonable price and I would recommend in spite my reservations.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your continued loyalty to our hotel and you will be pleased to know that we will be undergoing renovations which will be completed shortly. We strive to attain the same high standards you have come to expect from our hotel and restaurant. As a frequent returning guest, we look forward to your next visit and are confident you will continue to enjoy the same level of service and comfort you have in the past.