“Very nice experience”
Review of firefly grill

firefly grill
Reserve with OpenTable
firefly grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in Effingham
Price range: US$6 - US$35
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Keller Drive
Description: Firefly Grill is a modern roadhouse restaurant located on the shores of Kristie Lake. Chef Niall Campbell and his wife Kristie own and operate this oasis of American fresh cuisine in the heart of the Midwest. Firefly's menu changes daily and boasts fresh seafood, oak fired steaks and brick oven pizzas. Firefly uses local ingredients whenever possible and fresh herbs and vegetables straight from their very own garden! Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian & All Special Diets - because we make our food to order, many of our offerings can accommodate multiple dietary considerations. Please alert your server and they will guide you to a special choice while ensuring our Chefs take extra care with your dishes.
Clinton, IL
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Wife and I were in Effingham for a show at EPC. Wanted to have dinner prior to show, but didn't have definite plans. Saw the Firefly and just stopped in. We did not have an reservation, and were a bit rushed for time. We walked in, got seated promptly. Nice atmosphere, and staff very accomodating. Our meal was servered promptly and was excellent. They have a very diverse menu, a bit upscale, and a little pricy. However, you can tell the ingredients used to prepare the meals are top notch. Bottom line, we liked it, had a great experience, and will return next time in Effingham!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Clinton_ILCruiser

Sedona, Arizona
“Great off-the-beaten path place!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great food and atmosphere. We had dinner and drinks after day of traveling across country. The seafood and steaks are delicious! We will definitely return!

Visited September 2013
Mount Vernon, Illinois
“Good food, not great service”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I reviewed this restaurant last year. This year, my coworkers and I returned. Our group was a little taken aback at the manner in which are reservation was confirmed. The person who confirmed our reservation lacked good phone manners. Still, we were excited to eat at the Firefly Grill. We had been told that we would be eating in the wine room, but when we arrived we were seated on the dock. That was fine. The dock patio is beautiful; unfortunately, the chairs are very uncomfortable. The crab purses and onion ring appetizers were delicious; unfortunately, the complimentary bread was too hard. We had a very difficult time cutting it. The presentation of the food was beautiful. I did like that the restaurant leaves bottles of water on the table so you can refill your glass when you like; and yet, the pretty bottle they chose is very difficult to handle. I also feel that they do this so they don't need to pay much attention to the diner. Our waitress was not very attentive. She never offered to refill anyone's drink. She was happy to do so when asked, but she never offered to do it and was not in the vicinity of our table often. We ordered salads and soups. Those who ordered salads commented that they were delicious. I, along with a few others in our group, ordered the lemon chicken lentil soup. It was delicious and filling, but way too large a portion to eat before a meal. It would have been nice if there had been an option for a cup of the soup instead of the large bowl. It was hearty and plentiful enough for a meal. Many of my coworkers ordered steak and enjoyed it immensely. I had the crab cakes. They were delicious. I am somewhat torn on whether or not eating at the restaurant is worth the price they charge. The quality of the food was outstanding. I just wish the restaurant would spend more time training their waitstaff. The level of service is about the same as you would expect at Pizza Hut. Perhaps the owner of the Firefly should treat his waitresses and waiters to a meal at a great restaurant so they could deliver service to match the quality of the food.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Teresa B
Indianapolis
“Stung by a "Firefly" - Executive Chef Niall Diarmid Campbell II”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Found this delightful spot hidden behind all the Truck Stops (Off I-70 & I-57) in Effingham, IL, and was struck by the bucolic setting: a small pond and their "firefly" gardens (for their vegetables & spices - closed by our late Oct visit). A mid afternoon visit found a very pleasant venue that was not in the mid-afternoon malaise (2:00/4:00 pm) so typical of many restaurants...this bespeaks very good management. There was a "dock" patio and an atrium and a large pleasant dining room. The Menu is very interesting and ever changing: (for example) from burgers & pizzas to the Chilled Mediterranean Plate; house made humus,
baba ganoush, dolmas, mixed olives, feta, Papadew Peppers,garden pesto, brick oven flat bread (Appetizer $15), Allen Brothers Premium Steaks ($26 to $44), and Pan Roasted Wild Alaskan Dayboat Halibut; "Firefly" Garden Heirloom Tomato Panzanella Salad,Lemon, Shallot,Caper Butter ($34). Our server, a young man, was very professional, knew his menu, ingredients, and preparations and even had a sense of humor. I chose the Chicken (fried wings) and Belgian Waffle with a sausage gravy (which I first had in Harlem about 5 or 6 years ago). The chicken and waffle were excellent, I thought the sausage gravy might have been enhanced by a spicier sausage and perhaps a dash (or more) of black pepper. Over-all the dish was a success, tho'. My bride had Crispy Dungeness Crab Purses; hoisin cream cheese, fresh piked Dungeness Crab, sweet chili dipping sauce ($9.50). She loved the dish but was not excited by the chili sauce...I on the other hand thought the sauce was delightful. We will do a return visit for dinner. Of note: Firefly offers house-made soda; Strawberry & lychee, Peach, Vanilla, Raspberry,Lavender & Lemon, house-made salad dressings, and low & behold, Rose's Lime juice for my vodka Gimlet (from the blu bar) -not even the august St Elmo's (my next review) in Indianapolis had this and any fan of Stone Barrington and Elaine's knows the importance of Rose's. Further note: If you live in South/Central Illinois or the barren Midwest you should treat yourself to a meal at Firefly...a very nice experience.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Bill N
Danville, Indiana
“A true gem in the most unlikely of places, Effingham Ill.”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Holy pork chop Batman, did you see this coming? Hidden away on a road to nowhere just may be the best restaurant outside of Chicago. The pork shoulder was perfect, the double cut pork chop was huge and cooked to perfection. The wait staff was composed of the best looking women in all of Effingham and they knew the menu backwards and forwards. Haley rocks, you go girl!! We will be back even though we live two hours away. What a gem!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank williamabennett
fireflygrill, General Manager at firefly grill, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
William - First of all, I'd like to thank you for making me chuckle after reading your first sentence. Reading reviews is always stressful so I needed a laugh :) In all seriousness, thank you so much for the wonderful review. It will surely put a lot of smiles on our staff's faces when I read it to them. Can't wait to have you back! Respectfully, Cara Milewski, General Manager.