“Wasn't impressed”

Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Effingham
Kansas City, Missouri
“Wasn't impressed”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here 3rd week of June 2013. We got a late start from KC area, and this is as far as we could make it so we stopped here because it was inexpensive and low points on Choice Privilege Reward night. Room was nothing special, a little dated and kept my socks on when walking around. Air conditioner was noisy all night. Breakfast! Let's just say I skipped it and went to McDonald's. We'll pass on this motel next time we're in the area. Is it just me, or are other travelers discovering that Choice Hotel locations across the country seem to be going downhill in quality, service, cleanliness with little or no no upkeep, remodeling or preventive maintenance.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jayco-man
John P, Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Guest, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know what is wrong with the room. Sorry that the air conditioning unit was making a lot of noise all night. I understand the frustration that you must felt because of lack of sleep. We have recently shampooed all of our room carpets so that hopefully has cleared up better. All though I can speak for all the choice hotels I will certainly say that we definitely appreciate your feedback at this Econo Lodge located in Effingham, IL. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area!!!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Philly Area
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Was assigned this hotel via a website where you pay first to get a great price. The price was great, the hotel was not. The room was very outdated with threadbare towels and barely lukewarm water. It was fairly clean and the bed was fairly comfortable, but the whole place had a feeling of rundown and badly in need of renovation. Breakfast was a collect of cereal and two kinds of juice, and milk. You ate in the very small lobby. Staff was never at the desk when I went in. Even with the great price, I would look for another place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room on front side of hotel. In the back the trucks run their engines and you hear engine no...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Carl949
Carl949 we are grateful to customers like yourself that bringing these kinds of absentees of employees and breakfast to our attention. We are sorry that there was no representative at the office multiple times when you came in the office. We are offering a variety of breakfast items which includes biscuits and gravy and fresh make your own Belgian waffles every morning. We also have paid attention to the towels and have changed our linens. We hope to see you on your way through here next time.

Travellers are raving about these Effingham hotels

Reviewed 15 June 2013

The rooms are nasty. The beds are horribly uncomfortable. The shower was nasty, really nasty. The toilet came up off the wall. The pool was DISGUSTING. Hadn't been clean. It's bad when the guests clean it themselves and the worker comes out and doesn't even bother helping. We were swimming with thousand of bugs and I kid you not something touched me while swimming. The rooms smelled and was super hot. We had to go by candles and air freshner. This is by far the most disgusting and horrible place I have ever stayed at. I advise
you not to stay here ever. And there was no wifi!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Morganlehann
Vicky M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Sir,
On behalf of my staff and myself i would like to apoligize for your having a bad expierience
at our hotel.I do have to say that i am a little confused about the ad price, as we do not have any ads placed that i have been aware of. Thank you for letting me know the problems you expierienced during your stay. I assure you i will use this information to better our hotel,
and staff. I do hope you will consider giving our hotel another chance.
Vicky Mckerrow
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I wasn't impressed, nor was I upset. It's a safe, semi-clean room with working a/c and wifi. The staff who checked us in was friendly. I would suggest you go somewhere else for breakfast though. Or bring something - we had a microwave and minifridge. The food didn't look all that tasty and therefore didn't even try it. There is a Hardee's right across the street if needed. Overall, if you just need a bed to sleep in for the night, go for it. If you are a germaphobe, go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank scarter9
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I was staying there through work for a Christmas party and when I got back to the room around midnight, I realized there was no toilet paper or towels. I called the front desk numerous times and did not get an answer. I continued to call and when the front desk worker answered, he told me to go shoot myself and I was not getting any of these items. When I went down to the front desk to speak to someone, the same man (Todd) that answered the phone was standing behind the desk. When I looked down at the desk, my room key was sitting out on the desk for anyone to grab. Once I told the man that I was who he had yelled at on the phone, he began throwing items that were sitting on the desk at me and began getting violent. Thankfully, other customers heard the noise and stepped in before the man attacked me. Come to find out, the front desk worker had been drinking with some of the customers in their room earlier that night and was extremely intoxicated. When I was leaving the hotel the next morning, I told the manager of the hotel about what happened and her only response was, "Well, that doesn't surprise me. I'll make sure to talk to someone about it."... I will NEVER return to that hotel again. I would recommend not staying there to anyone else unless you want to be assaulted by front desk workers and extremely disrespected.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Katie P
Brookland, Arkansas
Reviewed 21 August 2012

A friend and I stayed here on our way home to Arkansas from the 2012 Indianapolis MotoGP on Aug. 20, 2012. After three nights in a seedy Motel 6 in Speedway, Ind., the Econo Lodge felt downright luxurious.
I had booked the room online that morning from our Motel 6 room, so checking in was a breeze. There are plenty of nearby dining opportunities and there's a big Conoco/Jack Flash gas station right next door.
Given its location right next to I-70/I-57 and the nearby amenities, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Olioscourge
Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The place is OLD and tired. The mattress had a visible SAG in it. The carpets were FILTHY. There was MOLD in the shower and on the shower curtain... and to top it off we had a rodent of some sort (mouse? rat?) living in our room. The lobby had the distinct odor of marijuana and the guy working there was just plain CREEPY.

For the same price you can go to the SUPER 8 which is CLEAN, freshly painted, CLEAN carpets and conveniently located near walmart and many restaurants.

I highly do NOT suggest staying at the Econo Lodge unless you are desperate. It was a horrible experience.

Room Tip: Go to another motel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business