“Stay away from this place!!”

Econo Lodge Effingham
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Effingham
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I hadn't even checked in yet when the problems started. The young man at reception wouldn't honor the online advertised price for a single, non smoking room even when I showed him a printout of the ad.
However, being tired from a long day on the road I told the man I would take the room in spite of the falsely advertised price but also stated that I would never be back again.
I should have moved on regardless of being tired because after arriving at my room I immediately noticed it was filthy with carpets that had not been vacuumed in quite some time, tub and sink full of hair and bed sheets of questionable freshness.
Before turning in for the night I needed to send some important e-mails. This was problematic because the internet kept cutting in and out. So down to the front desk I went to inform the man of my internet problem. He stated that there was nothing wrong with the internet and that it must be a problem with my laptop. He might have gotten away with this excuse if it hadn't been for someone from a different room who called up while I was there and said her internet was not working either.
This prompted the fellow at reception to say he'd look into the problem and eventually my internet was working.
Once I got my long delayed e-mails sent I decided to turn in for the night. I woke up part way through the night and noticed that part of me was laying directly on the mattress. Apparently no one told the housekeeping staff that the bottom sheets are supposed to be tucked in.
Before leaving the next morning I requested a receipt and was given a piece of paper that was nearly illegible, I had to accept it since it was the best their printer would do.
If all this wasn't enough to sour me on the place I spoke to some colleagues who had stayed at the same place the night before. Lo and behold the advertised price was indeed honored for them but for some reason they wouldn't honor it for me.
In summary, don't stay at this place. It's filthy, the internet is spotty and any advertised price isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We stopped just for the night. Easy access from the freeway. Pet friendly and I love being able to park outside my room door. Beds were okay. Microwave and refrig in rooms.

Some minor issues that were irritating - low shower head, loud vent in bathroom, TV channels were not as listed on the card in the room, TV remote didn't work, phone cord was broken and taped to phone, receptionist couldn't help with anything other than a new room, parking lot was not plowed and icy.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Vicky M, Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. Let me first apologize to you for any inconvenience we may have caused you during your stay with us. We are working hard to correct any and all issues here at our hotel. We are under new management and working with our owner to fix all of the physical problems within our hotel. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Vicky McKerrow
Manager

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We should have ran when we walked in the lobby and noticed the unpleasant odor but it was 11:30 pm and we'd been driving all day and he girl at the front desk was very friendly so I thought I could overlook it. The room smelled worse...I had to spray cologne to make it tolerable. The sheets were obviously soiled so my husband had to go to the front desk to get new ones so we could remake the bed...at this point we just needed to get a few hours of sleep. The towels were also either stained or dirty...I said dirty and didn't use them Definitely left my shoes on until I got into bed and only used the clean sheet we just put on for a cover and our own pillows. The air conditioner was noisy and never shut off. The entire hotel was very rundown and I didn't feel quite as secure as I would have liked since the door opened up right onto the parking lot. Hit the road at 4 am after only a few hours sleep just to get out of there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
John P, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is by far the most disgusting hotel in town! Its a mess. The staff are rude and disrespectful. The rooms are unclean! The smell of the hotel from the lobby is like a bathroom! Mice all over the place!

• Stayed: September 2013
John P, Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

SrAli9-1-1 Sorry that your experience at the Econo Lodge in Effingham, IL was less than satisfactory. We want to thank you for taking the time to write a comment so we can take care of the problems. Not all of our staff can go into each and every room every day so we rely on our guest to let us know what is wrong. Also very sorry for the staff members that where rude and disrespectful. Hope to see you soon!!!

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here 3rd week of June 2013. We got a late start from KC area, and this is as far as we could make it so we stopped here because it was inexpensive and low points on Choice Privilege Reward night. Room was nothing special, a little dated and kept my socks on when walking around. Air conditioner was noisy all night. Breakfast! Let's just say I skipped it and went to McDonald's. We'll pass on this motel next time we're in the area. Is it just me, or are other travelers discovering that Choice Hotel locations across the country seem to be going downhill in quality, service, cleanliness with little or no no upkeep, remodeling or preventive maintenance.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jayco-man
John P, Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Guest, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know what is wrong with the room. Sorry that the air conditioning unit was making a lot of noise all night. I understand the frustration that you must felt because of lack of sleep. We have recently shampooed all of our room carpets so that hopefully has cleared up better. All though I can speak for all the choice hotels I will certainly say that we definitely appreciate your feedback at this Econo Lodge located in Effingham, IL. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area!!!!!

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Was assigned this hotel via a website where you pay first to get a great price. The price was great, the hotel was not. The room was very outdated with threadbare towels and barely lukewarm water. It was fairly clean and the bed was fairly comfortable, but the whole place had a feeling of rundown and badly in need of renovation. Breakfast was a collect of cereal and two kinds of juice, and milk. You ate in the very small lobby. Staff was never at the desk when I went in. Even with the great price, I would look for another place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room on front side of hotel. In the back the trucks run their engines and you hear engine no...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Carl949

Carl949 we are grateful to customers like yourself that bringing these kinds of absentees of employees and breakfast to our attention. We are sorry that there was no representative at the office multiple times when you came in the office. We are offering a variety of breakfast items which includes biscuits and gravy and fresh make your own Belgian waffles every morning. We also have paid attention to the towels and have changed our linens. We hope to see you on your way through here next time.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

The rooms are nasty. The beds are horribly uncomfortable. The shower was nasty, really nasty. The toilet came up off the wall. The pool was DISGUSTING. Hadn't been clean. It's bad when the guests clean it themselves and the worker comes out and doesn't even bother helping. We were swimming with thousand of bugs and I kid you not something touched me while swimming. The rooms smelled and was super hot. We had to go by candles and air freshner. This is by far the most disgusting and horrible place I have ever stayed at. I advise
you not to stay here ever. And there was no wifi!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Morganlehann
Vicky M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Sir,
On behalf of my staff and myself i would like to apoligize for your having a bad expierience
at our hotel.I do have to say that i am a little confused about the ad price, as we do not have any ads placed that i have been aware of. Thank you for letting me know the problems you expierienced during your stay. I assure you i will use this information to better our hotel,
and staff. I do hope you will consider giving our hotel another chance.
Vicky Mckerrow