“Horrible night,”

Candlewood Suites Elgin - Northwest Chicago
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Worst night sleep I've had in a long time. Ceilings are paper thin and the people above us were up very late and up very early playing fetch with their dog. Noise was deafening. Combine that with the age of the lumpy mattress and it's a recipe for a very long night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michele S

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Cons:

This property is literally surrounded by cornfields and office buildings. Nothing to walk to except a far off 7-eleven.

Wear and tear - it's showing it's age, and our one bedroom suite was nothing like the picture, which showed updated furnishings, and accessories that made it look homey and inviting.

No pool, courtyard, or breakfast.

Suite looked half finished as there was not enough lamps, furniture, and artwork to fill the space or walls.

Pros-

Extremely friendly and accommodating staff. No problems getting a late check-out.

Instead of calling me a cab, one of the front desk workers offered me a ride to the Metra station to catch my train. Very unexpected and very much appreciated.

Lobby clean and well decorated. Free USA Today papers.

Pet friendly with adequate walking area and pick up bags.

Free WIFI

Bed super comfortable and provided a peaceful night sleep.

Will I come back? Probably not as I don't have any plans to be in that particular area again, but I have to say, my review would have been much different had I not received the exceptionally nice service provided by the staff of this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank llpupa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Elgin - Northwest Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear 6tareg,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am happy to know that you liked our comfortable beds and service received from our staff. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stopped here on the way from Ohio to Madison WI. We made the reservation on the fly based on trip advisor recommendations. They were not wrong. Checkin easy. There were several baseball teams with about 10 year old boys running the halls. I was very dubious about being kept up all night. However it was very quiet. We did not heard any noise. Either the walls are soundproof or maybe they drugged them. There is no breakfast but each room has a refrigerator dishes and cook top. There is a convenience store right down the road. We just bought a few things the night before. One problem is the beds are doubles and not queens if you are bigger people.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The staff made my stay very pleasant by helping with printing directions on mapquest and the person checking me in explained where I can find items in my room and the "pet area " outside. They are pet friendly and welcomed my dog. The room was clean and I like the kitchen with everything you need to cook a meal. I will stay here next time I am in town.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I checked into this hotel thinking I could save a few dollars on per diem and spend more on dinners. They had good choices in the store for breakfast, it only cost $3. Quick and easy. The room had WiFi so I could get my work done and after work there is more than enough speed to watch my Netfliks. They had DVDs to borrow, but they are all kinda old. Laundry room is free and right next to the fitness center. Did my workout and laundry at the same time. Multitasking all good. Jamie at the desk was always pleasant to talk to about dinner options.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly, they have discounts that are not online.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank S C
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My company sent me for training to the Elgin area. Since I was staying for a few days I decided to go to an extended stay hotel. I love the full kitchen to make my own healthy breakfast and dinner. All the clothes I had went home clean, they have a FREE laundry there, I just purchased detergent from Walmart down the street. Free DVD loaner collection, DVD players in all the rooms.
The staff are friendly and the hotel was clean and bright, made me feel safe when I arrived every evening. None of the hidden charges some full service hotels charge you. 100% non smoking is great! I am very happy with this hotel, If I come back to the area again this will be the place I will stay!

Room Tip: For added security, I would recommend ladies request the top floor, since the windows open.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lorraine K
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I just moved to the area and had to wait until my apartment was ready. The rooms are like mini apartments. If you stay for a few weeks, the rates are great and you get a full kitchen to boot. The staff is friendly and always smiling. Since this is linked to Holiday Inns, I got Priority club points. Loved it so much I will send my family here to stay instead of staying with me in my apartment.

Room Tip: Take a upper floor if it is available, Highway is not an issue with noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elgin
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elgin
Hampton Inn Chicago/Elgin
Comfort Suites Elgin
Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Northwest
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 8 in Elgin
TownePlace Suites Chicago Elgin/West Dundee

Been to Candlewood Suites Elgin - Northwest Chicago? Share your experiences!