The View Motel
US$189
Groupon.com
US$110
US$105
Baymont Inn & Suites Bellevue(Bellevue)(Great Value!)
US$111
Grant Hills Motel(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$128
Country Inn
Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$110
The Irish Cottage
Best Western Designer Inn & Suites(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$93
Stoney Creek Inn(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$99
All reviewsfire pitandy and joyceother guestsfriendly hostswarm hospitalitya great place to stayclean roomsshort drivechestnut mountainup to datevisit galenahanover
Reviewed 13 May 2012

It may see unbelievable, but all those fantastic reviews of this motel are right on the money. While it is "on the beaten path" to Galena, it would be easy to miss. If you're going to Galena and are just a little put off by the prices of the rooms in town, try The View. You'll be glad you did, and it may just become your first choice for a place to stay when you return.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The View Motel was a wonderful experience. I stayed at The View this weekend when it was cold and rainy outside. After being downtown all day and at my son's campsite until dark, I was a little nervous to go to a Motel by myself, but I had met the owners earlier and they made me feel safe knowing they were right on the Motel grounds. They even told me to come and get them if I needed anything, What great personal service! I jumped into the shower and could not believe the water pressure, it was better than my shower at home. My experience at the View Motel is the reason this cold rainy weekend was not spoiled. Thanks so much! See you next year.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was our second stay at The View while visiting the beautiful Galena area. Andy and Joyce are the nicest people you can stay with in the area! Service and hospitality are the best! Thanks to you both for a wonderful weekend away! We can't say enough to our friends and family about what a lovely time we've had when we have visited the Galena area! Hope to see you again this year! The Doggett's Ankeny, Ia

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our little vacation and we both agree that it was just a fabulous time. Great prices and and great service. We are planning on making it an every year trip now. Thank you both for all you did for us, cant wait to see you in the Fall.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 11 November 2011

To all of those who wish to visit historic Galena, this little "gem" is a "must stay"! You will come here a stranger, but leave as a friend, thanks to gracious hosts/owners Andy and Joyce. It is very difficult for me to top all of the superior reviews of the View Motel, as everything I read on TripAdvisor beforehand turned out to be 100% true. The cleanliness is second to no other motel I have ever stayed at during my 60 years of US travels (I stayed in my first motel at age two in the Smokies.) And I have at least five-hundred motels and hotels to compare with during that time span. Our room was very spacious, too. One nice touch---the towels were very thick and plush.

Right in the middle of the eleven guest rooms, there is a room (# 6) for guests to hook up their laptops, make phone calls, and use the microwave and refrigerator in case they have doggy bags from all of the gourmet Galena restaurants. This was only our second trip to Galena (our first was in June of 2009.) On that trip, we stayed in a decent enough motel in Galena---believe me, the extra ten miles from Elizabeth to Galena is no biggy. Especially since I called three Galena motels a few weeks before this trip, and each quoted me a rate of $140.00. Andy quoted me a rate of $66.00, so for my wife and me, that was a no-brainer. Besides, the ride from Elizabeth to Galena traverses beautiful scenery and some spectacular views/scenic vistas along US Highway 20.

Now, one of the many reasons to visit Galena is to dine at the various gourmet restaurants. Andy is perhaps the most knowledgeable motel owner I have ever come across re: where to eat in Galena or neighboring city Dubuque, IA or right in Elizabeth, or even in the tiny town of Hanover, which is five miles south of Elizabeth. We ate at the # 1 and # 2 highest rated Galena restaurants in TripAdvisor, about which I shall write rave reviews after I finish writing this review. I trusted Andy's judgement 100%, because, at one point in his life, he was studying to become a chef in his hometown of London, England. Andy and Joyce love fine dining, so Andy freely shares his suggestions with all of his guests who ask him where they should eat while vacationing in the area.

The physical layout of the motel can be described as scenic/pastoral, for it is surrounded by a farm with cows just a few feet away, and a spectacular eagle's eye view of the nice little valley town of Elizabeth down below. A very relaxing atmosphere, to say the least! And I love any motel where I can park my car one foot from my door.

If you are looking for that big high rise Holiday Inn type of hotel, where you park your car one or two blocks away, or pay an additional $15 per day parking fee, and you want that big swimming pool with hot tub, and a bellhop to carry your luggage up to your $350 per day room, then, no, this is not the motel for you. If you are looking for a nice, big, impeccably clean room, and owners who are so friendly you'd swear you've known them for thirty years---owners whose main concern is that you have the most enjoyable vacation possible, then this IS your place. If you are looking for wonderfully comfortable beds, assuring you a good night's sleep, then look no further! And, seeing as how we had some unseasonably cold weather during our stay, my wife described the room climate in one word---"Toasty". Another nice touch is the elevated large flat screen television set with Dish Network satellite. Many channels are from nearby Dubuque. And the rooms have a nice electric teapot for the complimentary teas and coffees. If you need groceries, it is only a fifteen minute drive to Galena's large Piggly Wiggly and/or Super WalMart. Also, right across the highway, there is a BP gas station with the best prices within a twenty-mile radius.

In conclusion, the View Motel was everything and more than I had expected, even after reading all of the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. My wife and I look forward to returning in eight months to spend our 40th Anniversary. And to anyone concerned that the motel is not located in Galena, do not let that be a deterrent---the savings in money, and the beautiful condition of this motel is well worth the small inconvenience of having to drive the ten or twelve miles into Galena at 60 mph. Lastly, this place is a great motel for seniors like me and my wife, or families with children. This may have been our first visit, but certainly won't be our last!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple