“A warm, friendly home away from home near Galena”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Elizabeth
Marcotte's Family Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I just happened on the Marcotte by accident. Going there two weeks ago, we were having difficulty making reservations anywhere in the Galena area and luckily the Marcotte had just gotten a last-minute cancellation. We felt particularly fortunate when we arrived there because the Marcotte was the type of homey, friendly, scenic spot we were looking for. Our little apartment was spotless, everything from the TV to the shower worked just fine and we had the most magnificent view of the countryside right outside our door. Donna was very friendly and gave us tips on the arts and crafts shows in the region. The homemade muffins and coffee first thing the next morning were just the right touch. We stayed there the first time by accident. The next time it will be by design.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at Marcotte's Family Motel 2 nights and very much enjoyed my stay. The owners were very nice and provided a tray of coffee and muffins each morning outside our room. The room was nice and cozy with an updated looking bathroom. There was a microwave and refrigerator in the room both of which were clean. I was vacationing in Galena for the weekend and the motel was 15-20 minutes outside of Galena but for the price I didn't mind driving the few extra minutes. Even though I didn't not get to enjoy the campfire they built outside Saturday I thought that was a nice touch. This motel has a beautiful view and they have tables and chairs for their guests to enjoy it. I would definitely stay here again if out that way.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NormaBAnthony
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed several days. I am not as excited about it as some reviewers. The owners are very nice. The room I was in was OK. The setting is beautiful but be aware that it is a mile out of town. It is a very peaceful place. The owners built a campfire on Saturday night which was very hospitable. The muffins delivered to the room in the morning -- very thoughtful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Elainest
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I made the mistake of reading the glowing reviews of Marcotte Family Motel and booked a room here. Upon arrival, the owners were nowhere to be found. The room reminded me of my great grandma's apartment, which always spooked me out each time I visited. Smashed bugs on the ceiling .... does anyone care to clean it? Creepy chairs, mismatched furniture - I am sure these could be beautiful antiques, but they need a lot of refurbishing! The bed was totally uncomfortable - my husband and I woke up with sore backs and necks each morning. The bathroom was pretty creepy, too. The toilet barely flushed - and the sink was insanely tiny and the layout of the washroom was very poorly designed. The door barely closed in the bathroom, as well! Usually a hotel will provide you with a small bar of soap for the washroom - there was nothing. Just two packets of shampoo that looked like ketchup packets. My husband and I were not pleased at all and wanted to leave early - that's how miserable we were! When we did leave, the owners just took the keys and said, "Thanks." The only reason why I am giving this two stars is because of the fresh coffee and muffins in the morning - this property's only saving grace.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marilynmalibu
MarcottesFamilyMotel, Owner at Marcotte's Family Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

It concerns us greatly that your stay at our lodging property was less than our normal high standards. We would have loved the opportunity to correct any problems that you encountered with your stay at that time. We do apologize if we did not ask you how your stay was at the time you turned your key in; this is usually a question we ask because we are invested in being sure our guests had a great stay, and in keeping our property in as peak of condition as we possibly can. We have stepped up our inspection process to ensure that the normal room amenities are present in each room and that our rooms are all cleaned to our normal high standards. It bruised our ego a bit to receive such a negative review but we recognize Trip Advisor not only as a tool for travelers but also as a tool for property owners to correct problems that guests write about. We apologize that at the time of your stay, things were not up to your expectations. In regards to the plumbing, we are currently checking all rooms for the slow flushing toilet and will be sure that the problem is solved. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and making us aware of your concerns. We're so glad that you did enjoy the coffee/muffin tray outside your door in the morning!

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Clean, comfortable, best area price in a beautiful natural setting. A wise traveler will stay here in Elizabeth while exploring Galena, the gorgeous Jo Daviess County countryside, the Mississippi River Valley or the Driftless Area. Our room was large with queen bed, sofa, dresser, and rocking chair at window with fantastic view. TV and bathroom also. Coffee and muffins in the morning. Set on a typically gorgeous piece of land with farms around it. There is a beautiful country road alongside it for a walk. We were only going to stay one night. I stayed three not only because our car broke down near arrival, but I found what I was looking for right here! Donna and Art are great people and really took fantastic care of us in what could have been a very scary situation. I know this area well, this is an outstanding value with hosts that were as kind as friends or family. I won't ever stay anywhere else in these parts.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LBorden

We really appreciate your glowing review and hope you return again soon.
Thanks again,
Donna and Art

Reviewed 26 March 2013

These are good people who care, warmhearted and generous. Comfortable, beautiful view, a little funky, spacious. Loved the coffee and home baked muffins. Definitely grandma's place. I hope my kids will want to return. They say they love it but--It's quiet!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bgandl1
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Donna and Art are fabulous hosts! The room was very personal, unique and homey with antique furnishings. The "modern" internet connection and TV service added to the relaxing atmosphere. Add the snowy scene from the back window -- one happy guest!!!!

Room Tip: Use "US Hwy 20" in your GPS.