“An all around wonderful retreat.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabethtown
Rim Rock's Dogwood Cabins
St. Louis
“An all around wonderful retreat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

My husband and I took a trip down to the Shawnee Nat'l Forest for our anniversary. We choose Bob and Dixie's cabin because the location was ideal and the website looked great. We could not have been more pleased when we arrived. Immediately you feel welcome and relaxed. Not only is everything there that you will need, except food, it has sweet personal touches that make you feel like you are home. Bob and Dixie have gone the extra mile to make your stay as relaxing as possible.

The afternoon we arrived, we hiked the Rim Rock trail that you can get to by a walk from our cabin. It is an awesome trail. We spent the next day hiking Garden of the Gods. The area is an amazing landscape that truely is awe inspiring. Before we left, we hiked the trail around Bob and Dixie's property. They have even thought of making an inviting space to sit and listen to the stream. It is really beautiful and a pretty good workout!

All in all, our stay at Rim Rock Cabin's could not have been better. They are gracious hosts that make you feel so welcome and content. We are looking forward to another stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

My husband and I recently returned from a stay at the Rim Rocks Dogwood Cabins with our children and dogs. We were apprehensive about booking our cabin online (sight-unseen), but since there are very few cabins around that allow dogs, we decided to take a chance. We just couldn't have been more impressed with the accommodations and hospitality. It was easy to book via email, and pay our deposit through their website (they use PayPal, which is nice). When we got there, the cabin was beautiful and clean, was decked out with everything we could need, and the grounds are beautiful and well-kept. As a bonus, in the cabin was a lot of helpful information about the area's attractions. We don't usually stay at the same place twice, but we will definitely be back to the Dogwood Cabins.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kwhzjohns
Ozark, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

We were feeling overwhelmed by many pressing issues: in fact things have been so stressful, our dog was even blue! We found a slice of paradise close to home in Hardin County, Illinois at Rim Rock Dogwood cabins. The drive through the wilderness toward the Ohio River was full of beauty, even in winter, and when we arrived at the charming two-story cabin in the forest we knew the next day would be magic. A stone pathway led to a small porch, and the door opened into a great room with complete kitchen and modern bathroom. The cabin was decorated with Indian art, local photographs, and country touches. There was room for five or six to sleep, but it was just the two of us and our dog. He is 14 years old, and this is the first time he ever was able to go on a holiday with us. He loved running around the cabin, seeing the horses, rabbits, and other wildlife. A full screened in back porch offered more living space with a fire pit in the back yard. Our cozy bedroom featured a fireplace, and both of us enjoyed wonderful deep tissue massages in the great room that had been arranged by our hosts. Bob and Dixie Dart have created a place of peace in harmony with nature, and with the added feature of a licensed masseuse, we felt like new people by the time we departed. We only had 24 hours off, but what a difference a day can make!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Stockbridge, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

I almost hate to write this review because Red Rock Dogwood Cabins are so dear to me I'd like to keep them a secret! If you are looking for a wholesome, healthy location where the kids (and dogs!) can walk trails in a national forest, sun on a beach or just sit by the campfire or on the enclosed patio of your cabin, this is your destination!

The cabins sit on ample land, each self-contained and each with a covered patio and firepit. Three of the cabins are in a wooded setting of the forest and the other 2 are closer to the main office and the horses, dogs and other animals on the property. Literally across the street from the property you'll find a beautiful walking trail called Rim Rock with interesting rock formations - your dogs are welcome here too. About a mile away is another section of the Shawnee National Forest which is Pounds Hollow Lake and Beach area where you can sun, swim or sail. There are other trails available in the forest close by and the Rim Rock Dogwood Cabins have a trail through their property that is just over a mile as well.

Cabins are well-appointed. You will have towels, soap, cooking utensils, blankets, sheets, silverware and even coffee. Just bring your own groceries (or order catering from a local catering service in the area.) The cabins are clean, tastefully decorated and fun - even board games are provided.

If you get a chance, take a visit, you really will not be sorry.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
East Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

I would recommend this serene place to take time and relax. I read all the other reviews and have to agree with all of them. One thing that was missed was how Dixie and Bob have made this place great for not only the people who stay here but also for our four legged friends. My husband and I love to take our dogs with us when we go on vacation and this is one of the very few places that allows us to bring them with us. It is a great place to take your animals and have a quite walk in nature. We are so delighted to be able to take our four legged family members with us. They enjoy it as well as me and my husband. There used to be a caterer and she was terrific. She is no longer catering but she made our experience there even more memorable.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Islamorada, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

My son is nine and he loves playing video games. I hate video games. So, when I booked this vacation for my son and I, I wanted us to be as far away from the influence of electronics as possible. I wanted my son to enjoy something not projected in two deminsions. When I picked these cabins, I couldn't have made a better choice.

We took a beautiful, winding road to our cabin, aptly named Coyote Hollow. A long porch with bentwood chairs and lovely flowers invited us inside. The large living room and kitchen was so clean and beautifully furnished, I was deligted the moment I walked in. My son saw the rustic bunk beds and he claimed the top of the bed at the top of his voice. Past the kitchen was a screened in porch with comfortable reading chairs, a picnic table, and an oversized checker board. We were both very happy to explore the place.

Outside, the Darts have horses, goats, miniture chickens, guinnies, dogs, cats, birds, and wildlife to enjoy. My son was enthralled. He fed the goats, found a nesting guinnie hen, chased butterflies, and made friends with the numerous dogs and cats. He explored with binoculars, and waited to see the deer come to the pasture to feed. We saw foxes, fireflies, rabbits,and something we're not sure what. We roasted hotdogs and made s'mores, cooked popcorn and played checkers, and listened to the night sounds, including, yes, coyotes in the distance. He never once watched t.v.( cable is available) or complained about his missing video games.

I could write paragraphs about the wonders of this vacation and this place, including the attactions, birds, butterflies, history, river pirates, and breathtaking beauty of the area. But, really, everyone should experience it themselves. It was truly the most relaxing, eventful, enjoyous vacation i ever taken. And, I'll always have the memories with my son. We'll be back this summer, and neither of us can wait.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank beccamiller
Roanoke, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

This place is heavenly. Forget your appointment with your therapist, book some time at Rim Rocks Dogwood Cabins. When ever I stay here (which is every year) I feel so relaxed and ready to take on the world (or at least my job back home). Dixie is the consummate host and everything is taken care of in the cabins. The atmosphere is indescribable. Your soul will be rejuvenated, your attitude will be adjusted and your mood will be serene. There are so many places to see and so much to do within a short drive from the cabins. Each cabin has a book with any information you would ever want about the “happenings” in that area. Dixie has thought of everything and I mean everything! Put Rim Rocks Dogwood Cabins on your “bucket” list; but don’t wait too long because you will want to come back year after year like I do.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabethtown
Quality Inn
#3 of 3 in Harrisburg
River Rose Inn B&B
River Rose Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Elizabethtown

Been to Rim Rock's Dogwood Cabins? Share your experiences!