“Nice Hotel, Good Value”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Elk Grove Village
Amherst, New York
“Nice Hotel, Good Value”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This was a good hotel and was priced very nicely. I had stayed here 2 nights for a business trip and it was very pleasant. The highway was very close and the breakfast is your standard hotel buffet with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereal etc... The staff was nice and I had forgotten some toiletries and they had some for me. My only complaint is the air conditioner/heater was very noisy and I lost a bit of sleep b/c of it. Overall good stay and will come back if in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Illinois
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel serves mostly business people, weddings, conventions in nearby center. This is not a good place if you are just visiting Chicago - you will have to take a free shuttle to city train and then 45 min. to downtown. For those who are satisfied with location, this is a great place. Very clean, great condition (too many Chicago hotels need renovation), spacious enough rooms. The area is very quiet - you can sleep with open windows, and it is one of the safest in Chicagoland. At the same time, there are many eateries and places for shopping within short driving distance. Also a popular pancake house and a sports bar next to the hotel. The most pleasant part was full hot and cold breakfast. In good weather, it is served in a nice courtyard. WiFi in the rooms is free, of course. This is the paradox of American hotel industry - the less you pay, the more services you get.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I went to Chicago on business and my company usually books me at the Westin in Itasca. Country Inn & Suites is a little cheaper, I was getting in late and leaving early, so it made sense to stay here. I had stayed here 5 years ago, but couldn't remember much about the hotel other than there was a sports bar right next door.

I know this property is on the other side of O'Hare and not a short drive, so when I called them to find out how to get there at 9PM, they told me their shuttle would pick me up. I did not expect this, I fully expected to take a taxi, so this was a nice surprise. They told me where to go, and sure enough, a full sized shuttle bus was there waiting for me. This was a very nice surprise! I actually felt a little guilty to have them run all the way to the airport just for me. The driver turned on some music and I caught up on e-mail during the 20 minute ride.

As we got close I kept my eyes open for dining options as I was hungry and wanted to get some food before retiring to my room. There is a Subway across the street as well as the sports bar right next door. Two options are better than none - some hotels (like the Westin) are rather isolated, and you have to eat at the hotel which I do not like.

Check in was easy, I was on the 2nd floor, walked up the stairs to my room. I noticed they have a laundry room for those on extended stays which would come in handy. The stairs and the floors are a bit creaky, the hotel décor is a little tired, but overall OK. The room itself was fine, all I need is a bed, desk and TV. The bedding met my expectations, it looked clean & fresh which is important to me. I dropped my stuff off and headed out to grab something to eat.

There was a Bulls game that night, so the sports bar was pretty busy, therefore I opted to walk to Subway. Had to cross a fairly big road to get there, but nothing too dangerous as there was not much traffic at that time. Bought my food and went back to the hotel. The driver was at the front desk (I think he wears many hats at the hotel) and he asked me how my room was which was nice. He was friendly and I appreciated it.

The only complaint I have was that the walls are paper thin, not much can be done about it, I just wish that other guests would keep this in mind before they start blaring their TV. I was able to get my work done and get a decent night's sleep, and that's all I need.

The next morning I had breakfast (which is complimentary) and it met expectations. There are hot items, cold items, good coffee...this type of offering is most appreciated when I travel.

All in all I had a good night at the Country Inn & Suites in Elk Grove Village!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We usually like to stay in CI+S's, and this one is an ok representation of the chain. It was very clean, the staff were very friendly, breakfast was nice, as usual. The worst part about this one is that there were no fridge and microwave in the room. If you're a road tripper, and not looking to spend a lot of coin, you usually procure your own food and prepare it yourself, right? However, there are enough places to eat around the hotel to suffice. So if you're not worried about this, I would recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My best friend got married and had her reception at the Belvedere next door. She booked a block of 30 rooms for her family and friends at this hotel. FOUR DAYS before her wedding, the GM, Sam, called to inform her she would need to move all of her block of rooms but 7 to a different hotel. He claims someone set off his shower sprinkler system and damaged several rooms; but after I checked in (I was one of the 7 that got to stay) I walked around the whole hotel at night and every room had a light on!!! Not only did he lie but he gave everyone 4 days notice to change their plans. Half of the people ended up cancelling altogether because of the hassle. The room itself is outdated but was very clean. This hotel definitely needs a new manager that understands the meaning of the word hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
HotelManager834, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Elk Grove Village, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Kate N.,

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. Unfortunately, maintenance issues do arise and managers have to make unpopular decisions even if it means recommending a different hotel to ensure the safety of our guests.

Tinley Park
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed at hotel because wedding reception was held at adjacent banquet room. Checked in and went to reception.
Returned to room at 11pm to smell odor of sewer gas. Room was on third floor. I went to bed and closed the bathroom door to contain the odor. Oh, I flipped the switch for the "silent fan", in the bathroom. (never heard of that one). Water pressure was low and shower spray was in need of CLR. The shower curtain was made up of two curtains. I placed one inside the tub and one outside. After the shower I had water on the floor. The curtains were worn and wicked the water from one curtain to the other. The occupants of the room next door left their TV on all night. Each time the air conditioner cycled off, I heard the neighbor. The walls in this hotel are very thin and not well insulated. Not much they can do about that. Do not stay in room 331.
The staff was very nice. I hope they find a job at a better hotel.
I will not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I traveled here with a large group back in August 2013 and enjoyed my stay very much. The front desk staff and breakfast attendants were professional and courteous. The lobby, breakfast room, and our group's rooms were all clean and well maintained. The breakfast had a good variety of food and was tasty and hearty (eggs, bacon, sausage, make-your-own waffles, etc.) I'm very picky when it comes to hotels and this one definitely met and exceeded my high standards. I would definitely recommend. (By the way, this location is great for Chicago travelers that want to stay outside of the city with a short 20-30 minute drive.)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk Grove Village
Wyndham Garden Elk Grove Village/O'Hare
Wyndham Garden Elk Grove Village...
#1 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Holiday Inn Chicago Elk Grove
Holiday Inn Chicago Elk Grove
#2 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Sheraton Suites Chicago Elk Grove
Sheraton Suites Chicago Elk Grov...
#6 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village
#11 of 14 in Elk Grove Village

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Elk Grove Village? Share your experiences!