“Not very good quality considering the cost to rent...”

Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Elk Grove Village
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Elk Grove Village
Houston, Texas
“Not very good quality considering the cost to rent...”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on a business trip. On the hotel's website, they advise that there are "hot cookies, fresh fruit and coffee readily available at the Front Desk." There was fruit, but there was not coffee or hot cookies. There were cookies but not fresh ones available. My desk chair was broken. I brought it to the attention of the staff and gave them the opportunity to replace the chair with one that worked and was told, "sorry, all of the chairs are like that." While I could tell that some updating had been done to the rooms (carpet looked good, artwork was new, furniture was newer), the lamps and wall light fixtures were awful. They were brass plated and the brass finish was flaking off and the lamp shades were torn, etc. They installed wall corner guards on certain walls in the room, but they used nails to install them with and some of the nails stuck far out where you could catch your clothing or skin on them. There was a daily breakfast served, but they did not offer real half and half for coffee drinkers, only the type in little containers that don't even require refrigeration. Temperature in the room was comfortable, however there was no difference between high and low and auto for the controls on the heater/air conditioning unit. Housekeeping was fine except for the last day of my 4 night stay. That last day, used towels were not removed and my ice container was not cleaned and prepped for new use. For what I paid per night, I've stayed in much nicer hotels. That was my first visit to Elk Grove Village. It is possible there is just a lower standard expected in this city. If I have to go back there for business, I will refuse to stay at this particular hotel again.

Room Tip: I ended up with a room on the first floor with a view of an ugly parking lot. I recommend definitel...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HotelManager834, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Elk Grove Village, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. Our goal is to provide a comfortable, caring and consistent stay for all our guests. I have addressed your maintenance, housekeeping and customer service concerns with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sandwich, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We were able to book this with a group rate for a friends wedding we were attending next door at the Belvedere! It was fantastic to be able to check in and then walk down the hall and be at the wedding ceremony and reception! The internet worked throughout the entire place pretty well. Check out was great since we didn't need to be out until noon! Great place, will stay again if the possibility comes up in the future!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hugo, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Honestly, we chose this hotel by mistake as it was not as close as we thought to our son/daughter-in-law's home...but it turned out to be a quiet gem! The hotel was very quiet, the room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast buffet consisted of "the usual" offerings but it was fresh and quite tasty. Most likely we would stay there again as it really was NOT that far from where the kids' live!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I was travelling to Chicago on a Business trip for the period of 7 days. I was saved immensely by the room heater as the temperature touched 0 deg F. The breakfast was pretty standard and satisfactory. The hotel is decently located with food options. The room size was good and staff was warm. All in all a good experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Amherst, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This was a good hotel and was priced very nicely. I had stayed here 2 nights for a business trip and it was very pleasant. The highway was very close and the breakfast is your standard hotel buffet with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, cereal etc... The staff was nice and I had forgotten some toiletries and they had some for me. My only complaint is the air conditioner/heater was very noisy and I lost a bit of sleep b/c of it. Overall good stay and will come back if in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Illinois
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel serves mostly business people, weddings, conventions in nearby center. This is not a good place if you are just visiting Chicago - you will have to take a free shuttle to city train and then 45 min. to downtown. For those who are satisfied with location, this is a great place. Very clean, great condition (too many Chicago hotels need renovation), spacious enough rooms. The area is very quiet - you can sleep with open windows, and it is one of the safest in Chicagoland. At the same time, there are many eateries and places for shopping within short driving distance. Also a popular pancake house and a sports bar next to the hotel. The most pleasant part was full hot and cold breakfast. In good weather, it is served in a nice courtyard. WiFi in the rooms is free, of course. This is the paradox of American hotel industry - the less you pay, the more services you get.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I went to Chicago on business and my company usually books me at the Westin in Itasca. Country Inn & Suites is a little cheaper, I was getting in late and leaving early, so it made sense to stay here. I had stayed here 5 years ago, but couldn't remember much about the hotel other than there was a sports bar right next door.

I know this property is on the other side of O'Hare and not a short drive, so when I called them to find out how to get there at 9PM, they told me their shuttle would pick me up. I did not expect this, I fully expected to take a taxi, so this was a nice surprise. They told me where to go, and sure enough, a full sized shuttle bus was there waiting for me. This was a very nice surprise! I actually felt a little guilty to have them run all the way to the airport just for me. The driver turned on some music and I caught up on e-mail during the 20 minute ride.

As we got close I kept my eyes open for dining options as I was hungry and wanted to get some food before retiring to my room. There is a Subway across the street as well as the sports bar right next door. Two options are better than none - some hotels (like the Westin) are rather isolated, and you have to eat at the hotel which I do not like.

Check in was easy, I was on the 2nd floor, walked up the stairs to my room. I noticed they have a laundry room for those on extended stays which would come in handy. The stairs and the floors are a bit creaky, the hotel décor is a little tired, but overall OK. The room itself was fine, all I need is a bed, desk and TV. The bedding met my expectations, it looked clean & fresh which is important to me. I dropped my stuff off and headed out to grab something to eat.

There was a Bulls game that night, so the sports bar was pretty busy, therefore I opted to walk to Subway. Had to cross a fairly big road to get there, but nothing too dangerous as there was not much traffic at that time. Bought my food and went back to the hotel. The driver was at the front desk (I think he wears many hats at the hotel) and he asked me how my room was which was nice. He was friendly and I appreciated it.

The only complaint I have was that the walls are paper thin, not much can be done about it, I just wish that other guests would keep this in mind before they start blaring their TV. I was able to get my work done and get a decent night's sleep, and that's all I need.

The next morning I had breakfast (which is complimentary) and it met expectations. There are hot items, cold items, good coffee...this type of offering is most appreciated when I travel.

All in all I had a good night at the Country Inn & Suites in Elk Grove Village!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk Grove Village
Wyndham Garden Elk Grove Village/O'Hare
Wyndham Garden Elk Grove Village...
#1 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg
Sheraton Suites Chicago Elk Grove
Sheraton Suites Chicago Elk Grov...
#6 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Best Western O'Hare/Elk Grove Hotel
Best Western O'Hare/Elk Grove Ho...
#7 of 14 in Elk Grove Village

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Elk Grove Village? Share your experiences!