“Dirt cheap, but you get what you pay for”

Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Elk Grove Village
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is a great location if you want to get close to O'Hare Airport or the Stephens Convention Center. Also it was a great price; I recall I only paid about $45 a night for this stay. Unfortunately those are the only good things I can say about this place. No... wait... it's right next to a McDonalds and you might want to walk over there for breakfast. The free breakfast was just sweet rolls and donuts.
The problem wasn't the donuts, though; the staff was so inattentive that the breakfast area was routinely decimated of donuts as well as coffee during the busiest time. When I mentioned this (along with other problems) at checkout, the clerk rudely told me that wasn't true, that they were always on top of supplying the breakfast area. Customer service hint to the staff: Don't ask if everything was ok if you don't want to hear the answer. Also, don't tell the customers that they are lying when in fact you are the one who is lying. The staff wasn't all bad, however. One clerk saw me drawing water from the sink in the breakfast area and warned me not to drink the water. I wasn't surprised because I had noted a foul odor when the toilet in my room was flushed. At first I thought this was sewer gas but after the clerk said that I realized that the water itself actually stinks.
There were some other problems: the WiFi in the room did not work at all; it wouldn't stay connected to their network. I tried it in the lobby; it was a little better there but still poor. There was a computer in the lobby but it was hard to get on it, since people from the outside (they didn't look like guests) kept coming in and using it.
If you're looking for a cheap place to stay close to the airport, and you can live with the other stuff, this hotel is probably ok, but personally when I return to Chicago next year I'm going to try the Baymont Inn about a half-mile up the highway.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cassie B
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We were given voucher to stay at La Quinta when we missed our flight back to Canada after storm in Chicago. The shuttle driver said La Quinta had no rooms and said he would take us across the street to Days Inn as he said they had the same owner. It was the motel from hell. I was travelling with my Mom, a 74 year old senior and my friend. The room we got was a smoking room and smelled so bad it made us nauseous. They had no other rooms available. The room was disgusting, old furniture, chairs, the bathroom looked like it was a prison cell washroom. Everything was worn, smelly, the beds smelled, so we would not lay down on the beds, we stood, and then finally went down to the lobby and sat on the chairs down there for an hour. We were supposed to get a shuttle at 10 am back to OHare to try and get on another flight to get home, but we couldn't stand the Days Inn anymore, so we asked for a 4 am shuttle back to the airport, where we ended sitting for almost 11 hours to catch a flight back home. It was the most horrible experience of my life, no sleep for a day. But the airport at least seemed like a clean place to sit compared to that Days Inn. I would advise anyone from staying at this Days Inn, it was dirty, smelly, disgusting, with what appeared to be teenage homeless kids coming in and out of the lobby, smoking and in general just making a nuisance of themselves. No place to eat around there either, the MacDonalds was closed to take out as we didn't have a vehicle and they wouldn't let us walk up to the window. We went to White Castle across a busy highway, walking of course, my Mom and friend ordered something as they were so hungry, but I only ordered a drink. They both said the chicken burgers tasted funny. Never again. This whole experience was a nightmare.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here....stay away.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2013

It was only one night, but I didn't cross any problems. It was quiet and the staff were friendly and helpful. It was very relaxing considering I had travelled all day all by myself.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Experience is horrible, extra charges were made without notice because of miscommunication of staff, Internet was not available at all during stay (not even the lobby computer worked for guest) , water smelled horribly because of plumbing in room, water leaks from roof on the first floor when second floor guest restroom is being occupied, food in lobby was surrounded by small bugs then later placed in a container and drinks machine did not work either, housekeeping was not done well (nothing was changed or cleaned besides two towels given), shuttle driver was negative/ rude and made us put our own bags in car without help and hurried us to do it faster, negative attitude given throughout stay from staff... would not recommend to travelers, reviews were misleading on their website.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Travellers also viewed these Elk Grove Village hotels
La Quinta Inn Chicago O'Hare Airport
La Quinta Inn Chicago O'Hare Air...
#9 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Elk Grove Village O'Hare
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites El...
#8 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village - O'Hare
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village - O'Ha...
#10 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Best Western O'Hare/Elk Grove Hotel
Best Western O'Hare/Elk Grove Ho...
#5 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Wyndham Garden Elk Grove Village/O'Hare
Wyndham Garden Elk Grove Village...
#1 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Holiday Inn Chicago Elk Grove
Holiday Inn Chicago Elk Grove
#3 of 14 in Elk Grove Village

Been to Days Inn Elk Grove Village/Chicago/O'Hare Airport West? Share your experiences!