“How have I missed this place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mack's Golden Pheasant
Ranked #6 of 147 Restaurants in Elmhurst
Cuisines: American, German, Bar, European, Pub, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Chicago
“How have I missed this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Like a menu page out of history. Feels like a 1950's/60's themed supper club- a little cheezy but charming at the same time. Really good battered and fried mushrooms. Burgers were solid. Menu ranges from Bohemian to American to even a really good Cuban sandwich- showed a nice crossover use of well roasted pork. A tad pricey for lunch, but good food.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank ChicagoCyn

Geneva, Illinois, United States
“Not a good experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

I took my family here for Sunday brunch/Oktoberfest to celebrate my mother's birthday. We were very disappointed. We called ahead because she is in a wheelchair, and they said they had a ramp in back for use. The ramp led through absolute filth piled up against the back door of the restaurant. The server was very nice, and the food was generally good, though my mom said her sauerbraten was tough. Mine wasn't, but it had quite a bit of fat on it. The salad bar was nice, but the cole slaw tasted very strange--I thought it was just some odd Bavarian recipe. That night I was sicker than a dog--the cole slaw apparently had been tainted--the mayo had spoiled in it. Fortunately I was the only one of us who had eaten it. And then to add insult to injury, I saw that they had double-approved my credit card, putting a huge hold on the funds in my account, which would have caused overdrafts if I hadn't noticed their error in time to make a deposit to compensate. When I called the manager about the double-charging, he seemed relatively unconcerned and said that there was nothing he could do--I need to check with the bank--even though the error was the restaurant's. We will not be going back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Eckhard G
Gurnee, Illinois
“Traveling salesman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

Started with a few beers on a Thursday night where it's $2/ bottle. Ordered beef strognaoff whoch came with soup and salad for $12.
The ranch dressing was homade and excellent! The F onion soup was the best I've had!this is a family owned restaurant and the owner tends the bar, so when I ordered my dinner, he said it was his grandmas recipe. I may have been expecting too much? It had pleenty of tender beef, plenty of mushrooms but was a little bland for me? It seemed to be missing sour cream? It was creamy but not sharp?
Other than that it was a perfect score!
Great blue collar atmosphere with TV's and better than average food.
I will be back.

2 Thank Stuart F
“Time travel in a good way”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Walking in to a czeck restaurant in Elmhurts........good wiener schnitzel but a little too thick for me....very tasty bavarian plate but the goose was all bones not to much meat.....but all in all good food and nice service.....but the outdoor garden and the insude decor........really cool! We will be back!

ROSELLE,IL
“GOOD SATURDAY NIGHT DINNER”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

My wife and I have been coming here off and on for about 17 years. The atmosphere can be loud and very crowded, but the food on Saturday night is excellent. Very good prime rib, I order the king cut, and it is more than enough. excellent twice baked potato. My wife has the petite filet and it is also very good. It is not pricey, very fair pricing.

However, when we have gone to this restaurant on a weekday, the food is not as good. Must be a different cook. So if you want a very good meal at a fair price, go there on a Saturday night.

• Visited July 2012